Zero percent card deals?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am a fan of using OPM (other people’s money) if they’re willing to loan it to me at no cost for a limited period of time. We found this to be very helpful during our last remodel, and we’re about to embark on another one.

Capital One is offering a Quicksilver card at 0% on purchases for 15 months and no annual fees. Any other good deals out there?

DW and I moved into our new house in April. I just paid off the kitchen (Cap One card at 0 for 15 months) and she just paid off the bathrooms (Cap one card at 0 for 15 months). The whole time we had the cash in a MM making 2%. Looking at doing it again soon. Just got a 0 for 15 offer from Bank of America.

Nerdwallet seems to have all the good/latest offers.

Last edited:
I am rehabbing a rental property currently, so in order to have cash in hand to pay for contractors I am putting living expenses on credit cards. I have three currently that offer 0%. FIDO's 2% card, Delta Amex and the quicksilver card. Could get me into a whole lot of problem if I don't take care of the balances when done.

I just looked at the Cap One Quicksilver on nerdwallet. There's a $150 bonus for spending $500 in the first 3 months, plus 1.5% cashback on everything. No annual fee. So on a $10K remodel, that's $150 bonus plus $150 cash-back.

Then if I left my $10K at Ally earning 1.6% for 15 months, that's another $200. Total $500 or 5% of the $10K. But the real incremental savings would be 3%... 5% vs the immediate 2% cash-back I'd otherwise get using our existing Fidelity VISA.

Not bad but still just $300 net, per $10K. I probably would not bother for just $10K. But if it was -say- $25K and up, plus not a great time to sell equities, I might consider something like this.

Although... the $150 bonus is fixed, so the more you spend, the lower the net savings as a percent of spend. On $25K, the net drops from 3% to 2.1%, or $210 per $10K at that level, instead of $300. Still better than a stick in the eye, I suppose.

DW and I moved into our new house in April. I just paid off the kitchen (Cap One card at 0 for 15 months) and she just paid off the bathrooms (Cap one card at 0 for 15 months). The whole time we had the cash in a MM making 2%. Looking at doing it again soon. Just got a 0 for 15 offer from Bank of America.

Nerdwallet seems to have all the good/latest offers.

Thanks, I’ll check out nerdwallet.

Navy Federal MasterCard has 0% for 12 months with no fees until 3/31/20. Last year I accidentally transferred more than I actually owed to another card. It became a free cash advance because the other card sent me a check for the excess. I’m thinking of doing it intentionally this year. I might buy a CD with the funds

Back
Top Bottom