1000 days

That's an interesting option. I hadn't thought of Las Cruces. Las Cruces also has a state university, which is a plus.

I'm going to look into Las Cruces a little more deeply. Thanks for the idea!

So far I have found the following, after checking bestplaces.net, census.gov, and bankrate.com:

- - - Median home price in Las Cruces is $28,800 higher than in Springfield and is rising at 13.18%,
as opposed to 5.62% in Springfield.

- - - Crime rate is reported as being slightly higher in Las Cruces than in Springfield.

- - - Overall cost of living is 4.92% greater in Las Cruces than in Springfield.

These are not huge disparities and Las Cruces does look like a pleasant town.

As for the factors mentioned by Oldbabe, the weather is probably better in Las Cruces, I would imagine. Las Cruces is 57.5% Hispanic/Latino, and I don't speak Spanish. I would probably fit in a little better with the conservative religious WASPs in Springfield than I would in a primarily Hispanic populace in Las Cruces. Las Cruces still sounds like a nice place.

With all the criteria you listed, I thought of Ft. Collins, colorado. I don't think it's as cheap as Springfield, but you might take a look. Major univerisity, thriving business district, hiking close by.

We originally rejected Fort Collins because Frank lived there briefly and didn't like it. Probably the more liberal atmosphere which would appeal to you, is what he didn't like (from his comments when he talks about it). But putting that aside, you're so right about the cost - - median home price there is $138,200 more than median home price in Springfield, more than twice the price, and so that does not meet our primary criterion of extremely low housing costs. Thanks for the idea, though. :)

Have you thought about Fort Collins? I guess maybe it's too cold to meet your criteria, with average low temperatures being below freezing for five months out of the year. That's even worse than Springfield, in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom