Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

20 years old, shooting for ER in the next couple years
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
gone traveling

20 years old, shooting for ER in the next couple years

Hey all, I found this forum recently and thought I would register to start contributing. I'm 20 years old and finishing up my third year of engineering school. I've already had enough of the rat race in my short "career" and I want to enjoy my time as I see fit instead of spending my best years working. None of my peers understand my goals, so I am glad I finally found a place with like minded individuals.

It seems the standard approach here is passive investing, but that is a tad too slow for me. I've spent the last few years learning everything I can about the Forex market in my free time. Through hard work and dedication I have managed to develop a strategy which yields in two weeks what the S&P 500 does in a year, with a better Sharpe ratio too. Hence I'm planning for ER and FI shortly after I graduate from college.

If there are any other traders here I would love to hear from you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I shall go pop some popcorn now...

- Will Rogers
Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I shall go pop some popcorn now...
Thanks for the relevant and thought-provoking reply.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadd806 View Post
Thanks for the relevant and thought-provoking reply.
No problem. Good luck with your forex strategy.

You might search for a lengthy thread by (IIRC) dixonge, something along the lines of "insane emergency ER strategy" is the thread title.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
No problem. Good luck with your forex strategy.

You might search for a lengthy thread by (IIRC) dixonge, something along the lines of "insane emergency ER strategy" is the thread title.
Lol. Thanks for the laughs. Just goes to show what happens when you play with financial instruments without your oven mitts.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Why are you wasting your time in college if you are planning for er and fi shortly after you graduate?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

College. The worst years of ones life. No wonder you can't wait to retire.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lol. Thanks for the laughs. Just goes to show what happens when you play with financial instruments without your oven mitts.
Indeed.

Seriously, if you are going to try to ER/be self employed as a trader and you don't have a big capital base, make sure you have plan B, plan C, etc.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Why are you wasting your time in college if you are planning for er and fi shortly after you graduate?
I have a full scholarship and I have more free time than if I was working full time instead of going to school, so it would've been silly not to.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Indeed.

Seriously, if you are going to try to ER/be self employed as a trader and you don't have a big capital base, make sure you have plan B, plan C, etc.
Yeah, I like to think I've got my bases covered. If I don't have enough capital to achieve ER right out of the gate (reasonable possibility) I'll apply at proprietary trading firms. If they don't want me I'll suck it up and get a job in engineering for a couple years.

If I get to the point of needing a Plan D, then I messed up big time somewhere along the road...
Old 05-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
College. The worst years of ones life. No wonder you can't wait to retire.
On the contrary, college has been the best years. I've had a couple internships so I know what's waiting for me after though. Doesn't seem very exciting.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a full scholarship and I have more free time than if I was working full time instead of going to school, so it would've been silly not to.
But you cannot invest your scholarship, can you? Wouldn't you want to earn as much cash as possible to invest it?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
But you cannot invest your scholarship, can you? Wouldn't you want to earn as much cash as possible to invest it?
Working a minimum wage job out of high school wouldn't have really left much to invest after living expenses.

Not to mention I wasn't totally sure this trading thing was going to work out when I started college.

If you want to get technical, I've invested my scholarship in a back-up plan... Let's put it that way.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I can see where you are coming from.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I get to the point of needing a Plan D, then I messed up big time somewhere along the road...
Unfortunately in my adult lifetime, this Terry Pratchett chestnut has been very apropos:

"Million to one chances seem to pop up nine times out often."

- Will Rogers
Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Meanwhile, back on Earth, FOREX market maker brokers are warehousing retail orders internally to the point where 60-65% of non-hedged volume is handled in-house.

In other words, FOREX market makers find it more profitable and less risky to just bet against retail FOREX traders with their own money than to bother with external hedging.

There's money to be made from folks with sure-fire systems in zero-sum games.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
... thought I would register to start contributing. ... I've spent the last few years learning everything I can about the Forex market ... I have managed to develop a strategy which yields in two weeks what the S&P 500 does in a year, with a better Sharpe ratio too.
Hi Jadd,
Welcome to the forum! A 20 year old that aims to retire early fits right in. Please, contribute by sharing your insights on the Forex market and your strategy.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I look forward to reading your book.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I met a neighbor who seems like a really nice guy. He asked what I did for a living and I said that I am taking some time off but did a bunch of things in the financial industry. He said, "oh, so you must do a lot of trading." Awkward. Evidently he went to some trainings or something and claims to make 20% a year. Um, nope, I have spent my adult life around this stuff and my speculations are 1% of my portfolio and tend to be outgrowths of some of my long term investment ideas. Did not really know how to politely deal with this one.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Through hard work and dedication I have managed to develop a strategy which yields in two weeks what the S&P 500 does in a year, with a better Sharpe ratio too.
I too eagerly await the wisdom of a 20-year-old who knows how to avoid work and retire early. Dang, I wish I'd have thought of that.