30 and quitting my job! Why wait any longer...?

How do you expect to create so much passive income when you have so few assets right now?
Maybe he knows "The Secret" and has created a "visualization board" with pictures of money on it!

Hmm, I just clicked on his name and enjoyed visiting his website--for FREE we can get a 10-page report and learn how to:

• Harness thoughts that can make you rich
  • Have money work for you
  • Invest in businesses, real estate, and others
  • Take advantage of legal tax breaks
  • Harness good karma through giving
  • Build Wealth
  • Retire Early

Maybe he knows "The Secret" and has created a "visualization board" with pictures of money on it!

Hmm, I just clicked on his name and enjoyed visiting his website--for FREE we can get a 10-page report and learn how to:

Sign me up :bat: .....

(Think he will be back? :D ...)

BTW I just sent him a private message. Maybe we all should :cool: ?

- Ron

Last edited:
I just clicked on his name and enjoyed visiting his website--for FREE we can get a 10-page report ...
Thanks for pointing it out. We'd all better sign up soon! Remember, THIS IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER... HURRY BEFORE IT IS OVER! :rolleyes:

Money is like air, you only think about it when there is not enough of it.
Speak for yourself, Ken! :p

I suspect this is a classic case of "those who can, do; those who can't, teach". Personally, I won't be contributing to his passive income stream.

It sounds like I got many of you riled up. I was hoping to get some play out of my post, and it looks like I did a good job. You are all waiting for me to pounce with my sales pitch. Well, here it goes:

I tried Amway, that didn't work. I tried some other MLM's, they didn't work either. I realize now that I was mostly young, and didn't understand a lot of things. I feel like I have a lot more perspective now. I am done with MLM's, at least for the time being.

I have to be honest with you, I don't have a definite plan. All I know is that I have lost all passion for my job. It is literally a struggle to drive to work everyday. I never really wanted to be in the car business, It was a place that I just "ended up". I'm a firm believer that if you don't make life happen, life will just sort of happen to you. I am now at a point when I need to make a career change. I figure, why not give it a go on my own. I don't mean to be arrogant, but I really do have my bases covered, and I'm okay with the worst scenarios that could come my way. I have fought through adversity before, and I am confident I can handle whatever comes my way.

To answer some of your questions about what my specific plans are, I have a couple of websites that are already producing automated income (I would share those with you, but I've recieved strict instructions that no commercial website links are allowed in the forum). If I wasn't bogged down by a job, I'm confident I could create more of these small websites. I am also preparing to make some moves with real estate using opm. I have also started investing parts of my savings in stocks according to a formula I have discovered for minimizing risk and maximizing return. So far, so good.

In a nutshell, I have a lot of irons in the fire. I have been plotting all of this for a lot of years now, and I've come to the conclusion that having a job is the biggest obstacle to becoming rich.

I have also started investing parts of my savings in stocks according to a formula I have discovered for minimizing risk and maximizing return. So far, so good.

This could potentially generate some interest and discussion in this forum. Care to share the "formula" with us?

To answer some of your questions about what my specific plans are, I have a couple of websites that are already producing automated income (I would share those with you, but I've recieved strict instructions that no commercial website links are allowed in the forum). If I wasn't bogged down by a job, I'm confident I could create more of these small websites. I am also preparing to make some moves with real estate using opm. I have also started investing parts of my savings in stocks according to a formula I have discovered for minimizing risk and maximizing return. So far, so good.
So, what you're claiming is [Edit]
Are we expected to [Edit]
I'm not sure how you [Edit]
What part of this is [Edit]
Where are you getting [Edit]
Just what kind of board members do you think [Edit]

OK, let's try this: Gosh, that seems pretty specific.

You don't have to blame it on the board's moderators. You can put your blog in your profile, and then you can link your websites from your blog.

Hey, BigMoneyJim, did you know that your slavish dependence on your job is your main obstacle to wealth enhancement?!?

Presumably, the "automated income" websites you're referring to are blog-type pages with Google ads. You'd probably get more hits (and therefore more cash) if you actually put a link to it on your main page, as Nords suggests. For anyone interested, Ken's blog is here. I will refrain from commenting on the content of the blog. :angel:

Ken, if you haven't yet, I wouldn't quit that day job just yet. Your Google AdSense revenue is not likely to be very large. If you're fortunate, it might cover your hosting costs. Investing in real estate with other people's money is probably going to be a lot harder to do today than it was when Kiyosaki wrote Rich Dad, Poor Dad (to say nothing of actually making money doing it).

Your stock formula, however, sounds intriguing, and I'd really love to get in on your secret. Where should I send the check?

It sounds more like a mid-life crisis than a well thought out plan. How do you expect to create so much passive income when you have so few assets right now?

He plans to sell these plans on this board. :p

Ha

If Ken has some real money-earning opportunities (who knows), then it could well be that spending time working for a salary or commision at his current sales job is a waste of valuable time that he could be spending on those opportunities (although passive income by definition doesn't take any significant time). On the other hand, there are any number of cases of people losing their shirts on hair-brained get-rich-quick schemes.

My own experience and belief is that achieving financial independence almost invariably requires time and patience, and can rarely be hurried by using OPM without incurring substantial risk. There are few if any reliable shortcuts.

To me he seems reckless and rather immature, but so what? It's really no skin off our noses. His posts don't offend any rules here (there's little or no solicitation, so far at least), and he shouldn't have to justify himself or his decision.

Ken, on your profile you describe yourself as "Sales, Internet Marketing, Real Estate, Stock investing." While some young readers with no money somewhere might take that seriously, to me it is a nonstarter.

Would you really go to someone for advice who claimed to be expert in all of those fields? It's almost impossible to find a good advisor in any one of them, so I find it hard to take seriously. Just an observation. Keep in mind the population you are dealing with here. LOTS of experience, lots of unassuming millionaires, pretty sophisticated investors, tons of retirees, and most have seen every trick and read every hype in the book.

He plans to sell these plans on this board. :p

Ha

But then it's not passive income anymore, it's a job. Because we all know that it's gonna take A LOT of work to convince anyone on this board to buy anything looking remotely like a get-rich-quick scheme! ;)

You are correct (in this instance). I understand that Nords usually only checks out the females :bat: ...

- Ron

He then PMs them if their IP address is 36.23.36 because not too many women have that IP address.

Having been in the rental business for over 15 years in addition to running real web sites and working a full time job I can tell you for me owning the rentals out right has been much better than fully leveraged. I can put you in contact with a few folks that are now in big trouble with their rentals due to OPM ideas in Rich Dad poor Dad. That idea and quiting your day job thinking your blog will cover is most likely a quick path to poor dad.

Buckle down and save its the best way and it worked for me! You will get more real advice and true opinions on this board than any other place I have found. It still amazes me the amount of knowledge represented on this board.

Having been in the rental business for over 15 years in addition to running real web sites and working a full time job I can tell you for me owning the rentals out right has been much better than fully leveraged. I can put you in contact with a few folks that are now in big trouble with their rentals due to OPM ideas in Rich Dad poor Dad.
You may be tying up a lot of capital in equity, but he doesn't have the capital to buy the equity. Different sides of the same problem...

Kstronggt, you should keep your day job and create passive income in your FREE time. When your passive income EXCEEDS your expenses, then your out of the rat race! Your trying to get out of the rat race before you've built ANY passive income. Even Kiyosaki says this in his books.

Instead of using that $30K to live on. Start investing in Real Estate. Right now seems the prime time to buy (depending on area). Work and buy real estate until your real estate income provides enough so you don't have to work.

This could potentially generate some interest and discussion in this forum. Care to share the "formula" with us?

First, my thanks goes out to FIRE'd@51 for throwing me a bone. Thanks! Also thank you to Milton for his comments. Afterall, what difference is it to any of you if I lose my shirt. I'll just be another fly by night quack who thought he had all the answers, right? Judging by many of the comments, it sounds as though many of you (there do appear to be exceptions) are only trying to beat me down because you yourselves have not made it yet....

Anyway, back to real world discussion: Let's talk investing. Rich_in_Tampa questions how sales, internet marketing, real estate, and stock investing are related. I think you are missing the point. You could plug in tour guide, or dog walker, and it wouldn't change the scenario, these are simply means to an end. If the goal truly is Early Retirement, then what difference does it make what vehicle you use? Just like any business system your goals are to buy or produce at a substantial discount (whether it is products, services, real estate, stocks, etc...) and sell at as high a price as possible, retain as much profit as possible, and repeat until rich. This is how Rockefeller, Carnegie, Gates, Buffett, you name it this is how they did it.

Sorry for the long segue, but this leads into my investing philosophy. My approach to investing is based in the realm of fundamental investing, with a technical twist. For those of you familiar with Warren Buffett's approach, you know that he only has two rules: 1) Don't lose money, and 2) Don't forget rule number 1! This is my approach to everything I do. I am not out to make a killing, but if I limit my losses and encourage my gains, chances are I will.

Like Buffett, I first choose businesses that interest me in the real world, not just on paper. This gives me a better insight into the company than just reading a financial statement. I then put the company through a test to see that it truly is a solid performer over the long haul (no overnight success stocks here, sorry). Based on the results of my test, I assign a value to the business based on its hard assets, projected income, etc, and wait for market indicators to tell me when I can buy the business at no more than half of this value. This is what Buffett calls his Margin of Safety (this works for real estate and any other endeavor as well).

I first was introduced to these ideas by Phil Town, who idolizes Warren Buffett. He has a book, and now appears on a show on CNBC. After I heard him speak at a seminar about 3 years ago, I read his book, read several other books about Buffett, and then proceeded to paper trade for about a year, so I could get the hang of it without losing any of my own money. On paper, I would invest $5000-$10000 at a time, and the most I ever lost on a trade was $100, because I wasn't paying attention to market indicators. Over the course of a year, I netted about $1800, which is, of course, an 18% return on the $10000 I had fictitiously set aside for trading. All of this was done investing in companies such as Pepsi, Williams Sonoma, Dell, and Target (I am not necessarily recommending you invest in these stocks). I am now starting to throw my own money into the mix, a little at at time with the ultimate goal, of NOT LOSING MONEY!!!

Sorry to take up so much space. I hope this was insightful. Thanks for reading.

Still, keep your day job, and you'll be more likely to keep your wife and your super-cool kids. Do this on the side until this, and you, are proven. Otherwise you are at great risk of losing your shirt...and everything else...including your wife. I am pretty sure that if I risked everything on vapor-ware, and it vaporized, my DW would likely dump me (of course I have a lot more assets to lose than you appear to have amassed, thus she would have a few million reasons to dump me...).

A final word of advice, Utah, and SLC, are well known for their get rich quick schemers who end up broke, divorced, and hopeless. Don't become one of them. Stick to the principles of hard work and savings that you have been taught, try some of these things on the side, with small amounts of money, gradually working up...if they REALLY work. Then come back and show us, and we'll believe...until then, you are entitled to exclaim "Oh ye of little faith!"

R

And be sure to join in other threads--if you only post to threads you've started people are going to think you have ulterior motives in posting here (MMND anyone? :) )....

Well, I give you an "A" for effort.

I've seen plenty of go-getters in my line of work (count myself as one of them). Most have not amazed me, but a few have (I have yet to amaze myself). Some of it was due to skill, but a lot had to do with a mix of good luck and good timing. The common theme to all of them was risk-taking.

It sounds like you are willing to take the risk to try what many may be too afraid to try. You may be the type that gets up when you fall while many others may stay down. Only time will tell.

Let's see how long you stick around here and if you post your successes as well as failures along with lessons learned. Again, most people quit posting here when they fail.

Ken, on your profile you describe yourself as "Sales, Internet Marketing, Real Estate, Stock investing." While some young readers with no money somewhere might take that seriously, to me it is a nonstarter.

EVEN I don't have any of that stuff on my profile..........:D:D

Anyway, back to real world discussion: Let's talk investing. Rich_in_Tampa questions how sales, internet marketing, real estate, and stock investing are related. I think you are missing the point. You could plug in tour guide, or dog walker, and it wouldn't change the scenario, these are simply means to an end.
Perhaps. However, it takes considerable time and effort to become reasonably proficient at any investing style, or to master a particular business. Focused attention is generally required.

Just like any business system your goals are to buy or produce at a substantial discount (whether it is products, services, real estate, stocks, etc...) and sell at as high a price as possible, retain as much profit as possible, and repeat until rich. This is how Rockefeller, Carnegie, Gates, Buffett, you name it this is how they did it.

Sorry for the long segue, but this leads into my investing philosophy. My approach to investing is based in the realm of fundamental investing, with a technical twist. For those of you familiar with Warren Buffett's approach, you know that he only has two rules: 1) Don't lose money, and 2) Don't forget rule number 1! This is my approach to everything I do. I am not out to make a killing, but if I limit my losses and encourage my gains, chances are I will.

Like Buffett, I first choose businesses that interest me in the real world, not just on paper. This gives me a better insight into the company than just reading a financial statement. I then put the company through a test to see that it truly is a solid performer over the long haul (no overnight success stocks here, sorry). Based on the results of my test, I assign a value to the business based on its hard assets, projected income, etc, and wait for market indicators to tell me when I can buy the business at no more than half of this value. This is what Buffett calls his Margin of Safety (this works for real estate and any other endeavor as well).
These paragraphs say rather more about you then you probably intended.

On paper, I would invest $5000-$10000 at a time, and the most I ever lost on a trade was $100, because I wasn't paying attention to market indicators. Over the course of a year, I netted about $1800, which is, of course, an 18% return on the $10000 I had fictitiously set aside for trading. All of this was done investing in companies such as Pepsi, Williams Sonoma, Dell, and Target (I am not necessarily recommending you invest in these stocks). I am now starting to throw my own money into the mix, a little at at time with the ultimate goal, of NOT LOSING MONEY!!!
Point 1: there is typically a large difference between [-]fake[/-] paper trading and investing with real money.

Point 2: if (if!) you can consistently earn 18% p.a., that works out to (only) $5,400 annual income on your modest capital of $30,000. Presumably you could earn more selling cars (or working part-time at McDonalds, for that matter).

But as I said before, it's your life not mine. Have fun, and do report back to us in November.

.... Judging by many of the comments, it sounds as though many of you (there do appear to be exceptions) are only trying to beat me down because you yourselves have not made it yet.....

OH MY GOD!!!!

You didn't just say that:confused:

Someone with a whopping $30K in SAVINGS is going to insult a huge majority of the people on this board who can make or lose that amount in a few days with the stock market swings....

Where is that ignore button again?

Back
Top Bottom