54, retiring in 4 months

M Paquette

Moderator Emeritus
Hi, folks!

I've been lurking about and reading some of the nice material here for a couple of months, as part of my pre-retirement due diligence. I've got to say that there is some very good information here, as well as some interesting characters.

I'm turning 54, and plan to retire in four months. I believe I've got all the financial bits lined up for my family. I've got a child in high school, one in college, and one launched on his own career. I'm currently a computer programmer ('they' call them software engineers), who's decided to 'think different' about how I spend my time now that I've hit FI.

I'm managing my own finances for retirement income, with a 60/40 stock/bind portfolio, stocks in the usual suspects (assorted Vanguard index funds), and state bond funds for at least the next year (til I'm in a lower bracket...)

This is going to be interesting...

Welcome. I bailed out at 54 as well. Sounds like you have it under control. We look forward to your questions and comments.

Welcome and congrats on being so close to retirement!

TG

I was freed at 55. Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

Welcome to the forums M Paquette, glad you found us. I also retired at 54 and have been very happy to be free from the bonds of Megacorp. Enjoy your last few months of w*rk as you look ahead to a new life. It takes a while for the toxins from w*rking to leave your system so be patient and get plenty of rest.

Hi, folks!

I've been lurking about and reading some of the nice material here for a couple of months, as part of my pre-retirement due diligence. I've got to say that there is some very good information here, as well as some interesting characters.

I'm turning 54, and plan to retire in four months. I believe I've got all the financial bits lined up for my family. I've got a child in high school, one in college, and one launched on his own career. I'm currently a computer programmer ('they' call them software engineers), who's decided to 'think different' about how I spend my time now that I've hit FI.

I'm managing my own finances for retirement income, with a 60/40 stock/bind portfolio, stocks in the usual suspects (assorted Vanguard index funds), and state bond funds for at least the next year (til I'm in a lower bracket...)

This is going to be interesting...

Welcome. I am another of the "out at 54 club". You seem to have your ducks lined up in a row.

I am fairly sure you will never regret this decision to ER.

Smooth sailing and clear skies to you.

Welcome.

I retired at 54 and I only wish it could have been earlier.

Thanks, everyone!

Hey, thanks, everyone! It looks like 54 is a popular age to retire at.

About the only thing I worry about is the medical coverage. I'm going to use COBRA for the 1st 18 months, and then go shopping. Worst case, I wind up on a HIPAA plan. (Ouch) That's something to pursue in the Health and Early Retirement forum.

Again, thanks, everyone!

Welcome M Paq,

You can check out how you will fare concerning healthcare by visiting ehealthinsurance.com. You may find that you are better off going with private insurance now....I did. Get the private insurance while you are healthy - also a high deductable plan can be less expensive than going w/ Cobra.

I got out at 49 - you are gonna dig it!

Welcome M Paq,

You can check out how you will fare concerning healthcare by visiting ehealthinsurance.com. You may find that you are better off going with private insurance now....I did. Get the private insurance while you are healthy - also a high deductable plan can be less expensive than going w/ Cobra.

Hi, welcome to the forum. The Health forum can provide a lot of info about the insurance question. But also getting an independent insurance broker to prescreen you now will help you make a decision on whether to keep the COBRA. I would take seriously the advice to get private insurance now if you don't have any health issues.

Fire!

I'm turning 54, and plan to retire in four months.

Flood forward tubes.
Open the outer doors.
Check bearing...
Final bearing and shoot! :eek:

I handed in my letter of resignation yesterday. Looks like I'm committed now.

Congrats! When is your last day? Any trips planned?

Done on March 7.

Then there's the Honey Do list, and later this year, a tour through Austria and Switzerland. (Never been there, so I thought I should go...)

I'm FIREd as of yesterday. Feels weird, but I'm hoping that will pass.

FIRECalc says I'm 100%, and even that hyperconservative calculator at Fidelity says I'm OK. Must be nerves... Where'd I put that tonic?

I did all the usual departing stuff, dropping by offices and saying good-bye, trading the keys for a last paycheck and receiving some nice mementos. Everyone was pretty good about the departure, on friendly terms all around.

Since it was a nice day, I drove my little convertible. No, not the Super 7, although that might have been more appropriate for a resignation. I have to clean out the garage first. (Some assembly required...) I did happen to have the theme from that old British show "The Prisoner" playing as I tore out to the main street and freeway. >:D

I didn't wake up in Portmerion this morning, though. :D

Now that you are retired you are "not a number" -isn't that what was always said about "The Prisoner"

Congrats and enjoy your new life outside the compound.

FIRECalc says I'm 100%, and even that hyperconservative calculator at Fidelity says I'm OK. Must be nerves... Where'd I put that tonic?

I did all the usual departing stuff, dropping by offices and saying good-bye, trading the keys for a last paycheck and receiving some nice mementos. Everyone was pretty good about the departure, on friendly terms all around.

Since it was a nice day, I drove my little convertible. No, not the Super 7, although that might have been more appropriate for a resignation. I have to clean out the garage first. (Some assembly required...) I did happen to have the theme from that old British show "The Prisoner" playing as I tore out to the main street and freeway. >:D

Congratulations on hitting one of life's most signficant milestones. Best of luck, although evidently you won't need it, and good for you (really). You're among people who are genuinely happy for you here...

Eight years later... So far, so good...

so_far_so_good_462965.jpg

The garage is more or less cleaned out. Two cars in a two car garage! Who'd a thunk it?

Passive income? You mean. like money that appears without one o them jerbs? Yup. I got that. No pension or gigacorporate benefits for this retiree. Retiring was identical to quitting, except management treated me nicer. (And I still get calls on some things from time to time. Heck, I filed another patent last year!)

Income is almost entirely from investments, via the usual interest, dividends, and realized capital gains.

Back
Top Bottom