About Schmidt - To Cut-throat

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I rented the movie - boy was that depressing! It was the kind of movie about young dreams not being realized; the dedication to the corporate life and not having a personal life during work and afterwards.
It definately puts it in your mind that you must have a balanced life and plan for your future. It didn't give me any insights into my situation, but it did frighten the hell out of me.

At the end of the movie when he received the drawing from the child he sponsored - Did you get the feeling he somehow found hope?

I understand what you mean that many Americans in retirement face similar situations.

Jack Nicholson is a great actor. 'About Schmidt'
was not his finest hour. Nuff Said!

20.jpg

Johngalt,

Jack Nicholson was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor in 'About Schmidt'. The Movie itself won countless awards as well as five Golden Globes.

It may not have been one of your favorites, but Jack has been in worse roles and movies.

If the movie was capable of scaring the hell out of someone, it had more powerful qualities than your average flick. Think about it!

I have to admit I'm not a Jack N. fan. Except for easy rider I alway saw him as just being Jack N. in a role. In other words the personality of Jack N. overwhelmed the role.
In About Schmidt you saw the character not the actor.
That to me is what an actor should strive for.

In About Schmidt you saw the character not the actor.
That to me is what an actor should strive for.

Unfortunatley this is one of the ironies of "Art". Seems like the most famous, succuessful actors regarded as "the best" always seem to be playing themselves. Contrast Robert DeNiro with Robert Duvall. Duval gets totally lost and morphs into the character. Yes, he's famous and an oscar winner to boot but he's never regarded the same way DeNro is. DeNiro's always just "doing DeNiro" on the screen but HE'S regarded as the "great one" and Duval is considered a "good actor".

We now resume our normal program of retirement talk

Back
Top Bottom