Almost 28 and just getting FIRE'd up

i-like-gin

Dryer sheet wannabe
So, the last time I joined a forum was back when I played videogames. And the reason I started looking for a forum when I first "learned" about FIRE is because I totally think of this as a game. Have you guys every played those "idle" type browser games, like on Kongregate? I love those. Mostly because you get to watch your "account" grow.

This early retirement thing feels just like that to me -- and I want to win. :dance:

No real "target date" set, but I've just started saving in earnest and I'm very interested in optimizing my portfolio and taxes.

Spent many years trading stocks -- finally stopping that since it was such a waste of time, but I learned a lot from it and I think I've found the "optimal" way to invest. Learned that it's best to keep my emotions out of it, so going totally systematic. Want to compare notes with you guys though.

I do programming (wouldn't really call myself a "software engineer"). Pays OK. I think of it as a blue-collar job.

Welcome to our wonderful forum. Look forward to your future posts.

I wish I'd decided to come here ten years ago. :blush:

Me too. Could have retired earlier for sure and made better life long investment decisions (401k specifically), but better late than never, so we all go forward.

Put your head down and save a crap-ton until age 38. Then re-visit FIRE.

Be wary of the FI-Trap. Wanting to fast forward and be FI without actually doing the things that will get you to FI faster.

Live light, stop buying junk, save a bunch, invest in low cost, diversified funds, 90% stocks, stay the course during big market drops.

Good luck on your FIRE journey!

invest in low cost, diversified funds, 90% stocks, stay the course during big market drops.
I agree, except I'd say 100% stocks at your age (assuming you can stay the course when the next market drop occurs), along with a 6-12 month savings in money market or similar for emergencies/job loss potential. IMHO, there' no need to hold any bonds at your age, given your investement horizon before you need to tap the accounts. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom