Anxious about retiring so early at 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of us are miserly, like you, as a means of stretching our retirement budget. Not sure how those airline suites fit into that miserly image. But it's your money. I aspire to fly once in my lifetime in that kind of opulence... but my next vacation will be in coach because I don't have the mega-bucks to justify it.

You have some options if you do run out of money... with a PhD you can likely pick up a part time (or full time) teaching gig. My former BIL did this - teaching for one of the big-name private, mostly online, universities... He likes that he can mostly work from home, or from the road... only 1-2 weeks a year for the "residency" portion that the school requires from students. He supplements his teaching income with editing/reviewing/advising students on their thesis and dissertations. (Amazing how many grad students can't write well.) It's his early retirement gig... mostly part time.

2nd tier UC schools are still UC schools - good education. My son is in the college app process and I'm making sure he includes 2nd tier UC schools since CAL, UCLA, and UCSD aren't likely to accept him since he doesn't have a 4.6 gpa.
Thanks for sharing. If you like Shanghai, China Air flies you first/business for about $2055 and a bed seat. But stayed in a $40 dollar hotel for 2 weeks, ate $2 xiaolongbao mostly, so not opulent.
My thesis work required a person like your BIL, I'm an atrocious writer. I split infinitives, botch gerunds, totally hopeless at participles.

If your son gets into any UC school he'll get an excellent education, all UC schools are excellent. Maybe strategize a plan of cheaper CC courses up front that will allow him to do a lot of courses there and then transfer them in. Wish I had done two full years at CC then transfer in.

BTW, my younger brother didn't get accepted at UC school out of high school, GPA too low, but after 2 years at El Camino CC he got accepted. Wishing good luck for your son. GPA is not a sign of success because motivation will get you thru.

Last edited:
So perhaps everyone needs to take a step back here.

OP, some advice. You have wandered in like a bull in a china shop. Your intro post is very unlike most others, almost braggy, with an unusual story. 99% of intro posts share some background, a rough financial picture, and yes usually ask for some tips.

And sometimes people do create fake stories and come here asking for input, so perhaps some of your details have similarities with those other less-well-intentioned people. Hence some healthy skepticism.

Punching back isn't a good strategy, instead, focus on why you joined, and what you'd like to get out of your membership here. Whether that's in our hobby/"life after FIRE" areas, setting in an investment portfolio, ideas for HI and taxes, whatever floats your boat. What would make you less anxious?

I think the OP had posted responses in a another thread and was invited to introduce himself since he started participating in the forum.

I think it’s a good idea for folks to introduce themselves. There will always be outliers. People don’t always come to the forum for advice, especially if they’ve already made it financially or already retired early on their own.

Your thread title says that you are anxious, so people come here and read it expecting to perhaps share some experience related to your anxiety.

But the opening post content is unrelated. Just introducing yourself, I guess. If that was responding to a request to introduce youself - then thanks for doing so.

But still not telling us whether you are already retired.

My retirement was recent, but yes, retired.

This is funny, you memorize posters style, retirement hobby?
No, I've always been able to read something once and recall it. Either a blessing or a curse. Sure made for boring school days.

Why chase this guy away? He has everything in his posts, sex, opulent travel southern California, much that is attractive in life. We can always read the mundane from the usual suspects. :)

Ha
Ha, that cracks me up, finally a person good humor. I'll invite a young friend of my GF to contact you but get yourself a cardiology exam first. Thanks for lightening up on me.

Today, I taking a siesta to babysit my sick old friend, an 11 yo Dachshund, but as soon as she feels better I'm back to my sordid ways.

This is funny, you memorize posters style, retirement hobby?

Funny IDK I've been around here a long time and I wager I could tell you has written posts without even looking at their usernames.

For example if someone is looking for a retirement spot and "someone" mentions St George Ut, I'm sure there are more then a few eyerolls and people thinking "there goes Ivinsfan again prattling on about St George..:LOL:they wouldn't even have to see my username.

What's the point of this, generally we are a community and are pretty kind and tolerant, hang around and you'll find that out. Now trolling is a time honored internet tradition and I've seen good advice and new information posted on some troll threads because people get invested. My interest in being invested in you becomes less every time you change your story and start dinging someone in our community.

No, I've always been able to read something once and recall it. Either a blessing or a curse. Sure made for boring school days.

I had a similar skill, I could see phone numbers and never forget them, never actually came in handy cause I could not remember the person's name. If we could combine skills, just think, we could call everyone in a phone book with opening it.

Funny IDK I've been around here a long time and I wager I could tell you has written posts without even looking at their usernames.

For example if someone is looking for a retirement spot and "someone" mentions St George Ut, I'm sure there are more then a few eyerolls and people thinking "there goes Ivinsfan again prattling on about St George..:LOL:they wouldn't even have to see my username.

What's the point of this, generally we are a community and are pretty kind and tolerant, hang around and you'll find that out. Now trolling is a time honored internet tradition and I've seen good advice and new information posted on some troll threads because people get invested. My interest in being invested in you becomes less every time you change your story and start dinging someone in our community.
Show me 1 example me originating a dinging, or are you saying the dinging came at me, so I'm in the club now? Who have I dinged or is a response to dinging, the bad ding?

Hmm, El Camino JC , largest JC In California. Was known as " high school with ashtrays " to us locals back in my days.

I think Porky Pig just got out of bed.

So I'm curious what kind of dental assistant gets 4 months off to circumvent the globe with her rich boyfriend.

Now it's changed to she can get vacation to take a nice trip once in awhile. What you are seeing as jealously or envy is a healthy dose of skepticism....but its a nice change from trolls that come here and suck us in by saying they are broke and worried about having to lives on the streets...

My OP said "Now we travel about 4 times per year for month long visits. "
Think, could I have meant me traveling to see her 3 times during which time she worked and her visiting me" and not all countries have 1 week per year rules. Outside the US people are allowed much more vacation.

Not sure how you conclude "now its changed", really?

Hmm, El Camino JC , largest JC In California. Was known as " high school with ashtrays " to us locals back in my days.

I think Porky Pig just got out of bed.

Guess you are a non-smoker. Most professors were USC, UCLA moonlighters.
Education of people who could not afford big tuition was accepted by UC schools, they might have wanted your input but I don't think so!

And what caused you to wake up?

A lots has been changing and hey that's fine...life's an evolving process definitely, I'm done here so continue to enjoy your wonderful life....

+1
perfect example is @ivinsfan and I don't agree on management of income for ACA purposes, but there still is respect through the posts.

+1
perfect example is @ivinsfan and I don't agree on management of income for ACA purposes, but there still is respect through the posts.

Do you feel respect is a poster calling me a racist because my mom is Japanese and nurturing to the level of investing her time to encourage me?

Reread, I never claimed to work for Goldman Sachs, the subsidiary has nothing in its name identify, it is simply an LA based investment firm owned by Goldman Sachs.

Brag if you wish but I have never had the wonderful experience of "deal with many folks", obviously much older colleagues did but it takes way more than my short career to be assigned to Stephen Ross accounts.

AND, not once have I asked for financial advise! Maybe the best thing I can ask is how long into retirement till I become hate filled, cantankerous, curmudgeon, cynical and easily angered. It looks common trait here.

If you have skills in detail, you failed to notice that I have not asked for financial advice from anyone here, only general aspects of retirement. You maybe circling wrongly.

My quote on Goldman had nothing to do with bragging. It had to do with some of the personality types there I have hired or dealt with.
You are the one dropping the Stephen Ross name....
The vast majority of my posts are quite pleasant, Check it out.
The common trait here on this site is there are a wealth of folks who are very knowledgeable (way more than I) and quite pleasant.
My retirement of 1+ years has been filled with happiness and joy.

You didn't make it clear at all with the first post that you didn't want advice, so there is an assumption by many that you do. I was not the only one who thought so.

Do you feel respect is a poster calling me a racist because my mom is Japanese and nurturing to the level of investing her time to encourage me?

That comment I will leave for the poster to respond to if she feels like.

My quote on Goldman had nothing to do with bragging. It had to do with some of the personality types there I have hired or dealt with.
You are the one dropping the Stephen Ross name....
The vast majority of my posts are quite pleasant, Check it out.
The common trait here on this site is there are a wealth of folks who are very knowledgeable (way more than I) and quite pleasant.
My retirement of 1+ years has been filled with happiness and joy.

You didn't make it clear at all with the first post that you didn't want advice, so there is an assumption by many that you do. I was not the only one who thought so.

Not financial advice, just seeking knowledge of what to expect in retirement because it is a unknown.
Stephen Ross never laid eyes on me, nor did I have any contact, notice it was self deprecating not bragging.

And your respect for others is not on display today.

I just do not understand why 30 posters put out so much negativity even if I did sound braggadocios. I was called troll by a moderator, and many others and Porky Pig, racist because I simply mention me mom's ethnicity in a positive salute to her.
Imagine what potential posters might think if they had a background even slightly to the group here.
Proud?

You counted how many posters responded to you, who does that?

A little bit, yes.

This is a very welcoming place I find, yet as everywhere has a certain culture. I invite you to take your time to understand it and adapt, or decide it's not for you. As a fellow 38 year old Phd with finance experience, if I can do it, you can too!

If not, why invest your time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom