Any other hard-working single moms out there?

SingleMomDreamer

Recycles dryer sheets
I've picked up several early retirement books, and the authors tend to be married with high-powered salaries. And most early-retirees on the boards seem to be men. I'm wondering if there are any other professional single moms out there who are shooting for early retirement. I'm 43, working full-time, and recently started a publishing business to sell my books [edited by moderator]. Also juggling motherhood in the act. My goal is to end full-time traditional employment at the age of 50. Ideally, I'd like to build the publishing company up so that I can survive off that income/investment after age 50 until I decide I've had enough, if that day comes at all. I like working, just not all the time. Any other single moms out there still trying to fund both the kid's college fund and early retirement?

Brenda
Williamsburg, Virginia

Welcome to the board, SMD.

On the chance that it was well-meant and not spam, I edited your post to remove the link. (We get a lot of the latter and it's ruthlessly deleted.) You're welcome to put a website in your signature or your profile but please don't shout it from the rooftops on an introductory post.

You ask a good question about the single moms. Heck, I'm not sure if we have any single parents on the board with kids still at home, let alone moms.

About the kid's college fund-- conventional wisdom is that building a retirement portfolio takes precedence over a college fund. Every family is different and you gotta know your kid, but in this case it's considered more prudent to start the compounding time for yourself as soon as possible. Your kid has a lot more college funding options than you have retirement funding options...

Nords said:
About the kid's college fund-- conventional wisdom is that building a retirement portfolio takes precedence over a college fund. Every family is different and you gotta know your kid, but in this case it's considered more prudent to start the compounding time for yourself as soon as possible. Your kid has a lot more college funding options than you have retirement funding options...

Since we're starting with unschooling, I'm hoping my child never needs/wants to go to college, and instead utilizes his unschooling experience to follow his heart instead of the pack.

Of course, that said... Murphy will probably bless me with a child who decides he only wants to go to the finest private schools for kindergarten up through PHD. :eek:

Actually, the retirement account is pretty flush. So that leaves the kid's braces, college, and pre-tirement account. I have to say that as a single mom, I've not run across any cohorts who subscribe to this goal at all. Most are just working to buy the latest iPod and cell phone for their kid.

Back
Top Bottom