Aspiring Snowbird with School-Aged Children

MidlifeMom

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello. I am a forty-eight year old single mom, semi-retired, determined to avoid another long, dreary winter in New Hampshire. My biggest obstacle to wintering in Florida (or some other warm place) is schooling. I have two sons -- one in fifth grade, the other in seventh. Has anyone successfully negotiated some sort of partial-year homeschooling agreement with their local district? Other ideas?? Thank you!

Every state does not have online schools, but Florida does. I think you would need to tell a little white lie, and declare Florida as your primary residence, but once you are considered living in Florida you can enroll your children in a virtual/online public school, fully paid for by public funds. Sort of like homeschooling, but still a "real" public school in that you get a HS diploma when you are done. Sounds like an ideal situation for someone that wants to be in Florida 1/2 the year.

We chose full-time homeschooling (for a lot of reasons), but high among them was the ability to go where we want, when we want, and not have to deal with the school system at all. Its not an easy choice, but it gives you ultimate flexibility.

Farmer Ed, do you still homeschool? We've been toying with the idea but our DD is going into high school this year. I[m a fast learner, but did not graduate college and I'm 49. Is the deck stacked a little against me? We would do it for the same reason: Geographic / time freedom. Thinking of renting or buying condo in FLA and snowbirding.

Back
Top Bottom