8 months in Germany - My impressions

If you only speak English, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of English.

If you only speak Chinese, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of Chinese.

If you only speak French, you will be OK anywhere in the world. It's amazing that one can always communicate even with folks who don't understand a word of French.

LOL! My basic sign language works everywhere. English translation at bakery counter: "two of those and one of that," and the clerk is happy to figure the change.

We lived in Germany for 3 years 1980-1983. We lived 'on the economy' i.e. in a small town called Winnweiler. I have also lived in Thailand, Korea, Hawaii, and several states. Germany was one of our favorite countries.

We lived in Germany for 3 years 1980-1983. We lived 'on the economy' i.e. in a small town called Winnweiler. I have also lived in Thailand, Korea, Hawaii, and several states. Germany was one of our favorite countries.

We also spent three years (an accompanied tour) in Germany and enjoyed it immensely. The people were kind and fun loving...very down to earth. I was young though and regret not having put my pride on the shelf and interacted more with the locals. I guess I was embarrased when they laughed as I perceived they were laughing at me not with me. By the end of my stay, I could speak enough German to get around and have a good time in the pub's. It was an opportunity of a life time! :)

Last edited:
Germans, at least in my town, are sticklers for the rules..

there is the old joke

In Germany, everything is forbidden, except that which is permitted, in France, everything is permitted, except that which is forbidden, and in Italy, everything is permitted, especially that which is forbidden : - )

I wonder if most of Germany and the EU now is used to English, since everybody in Europe now can move around and live and work where they want.

I haven't lived in Germany, but I was there last month on vacation, and at the Subway store for lunch when I couldn't think of the German word for 'green pepper' and was just awkwardly pointing and grunting, the sandwich artist quickly switched to English. I suspect if they're that comfortable with English in a Subway store, they must know as much in the smaller towns, at least for you to get by.

Back
Top Bottom