At 51---no retirement plan but could retire in 4 years

"The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender."

Proverbs 22:7

Today is Christmas, so I'm now going to assume that the OP is sincere with her comments, and that her husband is being manipulated by other people to entice him to "invest" more substantial funds into the system. Lily, I apologize for the tone of some of my previous comments. Please encourage your husband to pursue other avenues. These schemes never have a happy ending.

"Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears;
wealth from hard work grows over time."

Proverbs 13:11 (NLT)

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
And now the Bible? Really truly a candidate for the funniest weird thread ever.

It's actually a classic part of a Nigerian scam-variant (in addition to using their allegedly full name as not only their ID, but also mentioning it in their post).

By making spiritual references, it's an attempt by the person to lend an air of 'authenticity' or 'honesty' to their communication - just like the spam messages about the hoard sitting in an African nation trying to be expatriated to the US often involves phrases like "God bless you" or similar references to God and spirituality.

She saw that she wasn't getting anywhere with her smoke screen of amazing-sounding gains, so she resorted to the final attempt to draw someone in with a simple, short-and-sweet final grasp to try and appear humble with an appeal to spirituality.

I agree with Ha - it is true that some innocent posters may ignorantly start some introductory posts with some clueless comments or newbie questions....but when there's a new member with a first post of this "caliber" :), I don't see how your subconscious, automatic reaction isn't to reach for the popcorn.

However, I must commend the scammer for at least being somewhat accurate with his/her math: starting with $5,000, and monthly returns of 5%, you will end up with over $100,000 in the account after 48 months (excluding taxes, which will obviously take up a HUGE bite). That $100,000 account value will spit out $5,000/month with a continued 5% return (excluding taxes).

At least they were realistic with their math! :) And remember - maybe they don't pay taxes on capital gains in Nigeria/Somalia/insert favorite country of scammer, so perhaps they only knew from the experience of their home country.

Last edited:
Reading this thread brings to mind Ray Bradbury.

" and the borrower is the slave of the lender."

Proverbs 22:7
I am not so sure that is always true these days. People walked away from credit card debts, mortgages and countries like Greece walk away from their sovereign debts. The lenders, far from being masters, are often left holding the bags.

Last edited:
My suggestion, go on Shark Tank and see if Mark Cuban will bite.

I got an email about a post in this thread that seems to have disappeared asking us to let hubby email his trades in real time for 6 months so we can learn how great he is. Reminds me of a typical Internet based investing scam. Get 100 subscribers - tell 1/2 of them you are betting on one side and half that you are betting on the other side of some trade. Drop the 500 who were on the losing side and send a similar set of "trades" to the positive 500. Then drop the 250 losers and send another set of trades to the 250 winners. Rinse and repeat until you are down to 16 or so who have seen nothing but 5 perfectly placed bets/trades. Ask them to send you $10000 and you will make them a small fortune in a jiffy. Head to the bank with your sucker money. :dance:

I got an email about a post in this thread that seems to have disappeared asking us to let hubby email his trades in real time for 6 months so we can learn how great he is.
I hope everyone else who got a PM/email from the dear departed member has the good sense to send it to their spam folder like you did.

Last edited:
I can help the OP in due time. I just got an email from someone in Nigeria who will share his $12,000,000 inheritance with me, if I just keep the money for him. He just picked me! I have to send him a few bucks to help him with some details...perhaps if the OP will help me, Ill share my windfall with her.

Tho, the way the OP is "speaking", I dont think its a woman.

I got the same email message from "Lily"

Here's the content of the message:

We are a big family with no money and we're sitting on making an average of 5% profit per month. We need funding. I need to be believed. If you have an android phone, my husband can text you his daily trades as he makes them--- real time---for the next 6 months for free.

Send me no real information---no credit card info, no real name, no real phone number. All I need is for you to have an android phone so he can text you the trades real time and you can paper trade them and see for yourself.

You don't have to give out your real android number. Sign up with a service like TextFree to get a number for texts. Sign up with gmail or yahoo or hotmail for a correspondence email account and don't give out your day-to-day account. In other words, don't give out any of your real information. You can private message me if you like.

It looks like I should have not given "Lily" the benefit of the doubt on Christmas in my previous post.

Potentially interesting point. What do you base this opinion on? Could you give some details?

Ha

Just a feeling? The first post is like Suzy Homemaker with 8 young un's hanging on to her apron, trying to get hubby a break. Further along, Im getting the feeling Im sitting across the table from Mr. Scammer. Hoping I dont sound sexist when I say some little wife "frugally" taking care of 8 kids likely wouldnt have the savvy to post like this. Scratch scratch sniff sniff....doesnt pass to me.

I mean seriously, if this Forex thingy were true? And you could make 5% a month? If it were me, Id take in 2 more kids for daycare, make $500 a month, and in less than 2 years Id have my $10K and Id live happily ever after.

Assuming her(?) story is true. Which Im assuming it isnt.

I don't think it was a spam PM. The email I got was just a standard alert to a new reply in the thread. I assume Lily deleted it soon after posting but not quickly enough to beat the forum notification bot. I just enjoyed the deleted post enough that i responded despite Lilly's pull back. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom