Burned out enough to catch Fire

No risk, no reward.

Both of you sound like prison 'lifers' - you'd rather stay in jail than face trying to make it on the outside. From my perspective, that's pretty sad.

I've done the hard work and now deserve the freedom. Guess I'm too concerned what others think. It is my life I really should take the plunge.

@Rewahoo, I look upon it more as gathering information before making a choice. I've gotten a lot of different perspectives. Some saying, yes, your plan is feasible, go for it. Others saying no, it's not enough, you haven't considered this or that.

I thought that part of the function of posting on this group board is to get different perspectives from people making or planning for ER, benefiting from their thoughts or experience. If you have a suggestion or experience on my plan for ER, I'm listening.

Telling me I'm "sad" for hesitating on taking the step from employment to ER while I gather information doesn't share anything, it just seems to me to be a kick. Hope you enjoyed it.

@Evergreen

I'm suspected I wasn't the only person to feel this way. I won't say I'm glad you do, but I think it is entirely natural. Many of us come from cultures where hard work and financial security is revered, and "quitting" when there are still $$ on the table is not. Just reading this board, I see people with much more wealth than I have, hesitating over retirement on the question of do they have enough to support their plans and livestyle.

As for me, I'm waiting to see if my employer and I can reach some reconciliation, and then what he will do if we don't. Yes, I wish I were free, but I'm not buying freedom with a rash act. I prefer a prudent one. Even if I feel jailed, what employee caught up in the rat race doesn't at times?

I've done the hard work and now deserve the freedom. Guess I'm too concerned what others think. It is my life I really should take the plunge.

Telling me I'm "sad" for hesitating on taking the step from employment to ER while I gather information doesn't share anything, it just seems to me to be a kick. Hope you enjoyed it.

The above are textbook examples illustrating how some people respond well to "tough love" while others choose to view it only as a personal offense.

Saying your comment is "Tough love" certainly puts a spin on it, but nah, don't buy it.

Sansha,

Thanks for taking the time for detailed replies. I think you'll be fine no matter what you choose since you're aware of the money vs. time risk tradeoff. How this plays out differs from person to person. Good luck in finding your peace! :)

FB

Saying your comment is "Tough love" certainly puts a spin on it, but nah, don't buy it.

REWahoo is a good guy. I think you can take his comment at face value. If you have read many of the posts on this board, you will find he has a lot to offer. Even "Tough love".

I am still w*rking but have FIRE in my crosshairs in a few years, and one big help from reading this forum is seeing people wrestle with the very real the OMY Syndrome. I hadn't heard of that before but it is clearly to be avoided once the FI threshold is crossed. What REWahoo says is called OMY, or the Stockholm Syndrome, named for the liberated WWII prisoners who refused to come out of their cells (comfort zones). There is a brilliant post on this by the newly FIREd blogger writing at Living A FI blog. I haven't seen a better and more subtle take on the challenges of the unique transition period from w*rk to FIRE. He became absolutely, inexplicably miserable while w*rking. It finally took therapy to help him see that his problem was that he had denied himself a promise he'd made to himself earlier, which was to quit when he hit his number. He didn't quit, thus misery. When he quit, happiness. I have to guard against this myself.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom