Early Retirement

yaahhuu

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello,

I have worked in the USA for 8 years and have 32 credits. Soon, I will turn 60 and would like to consider early retirement. Currently living in Canada and worked there for 8 years. Would my Canadian work be counted towards required 40 credits to apply for retirement in USA? Where can I find more information about this?

Thanks

Last edited:
No. Need to come south and get 8 more qualifying quarters, Social Security Online should contain the answer to your questions, authoritatively. I stand corrected - see the next message - you may be able to qualify in the US using your Canadian work record or Canada using some of your US work record.

Last edited:
Yaahhuu, you may be eligible at least for partial benefits from US SS according to the following:

If you do not have enough work credits under the U.S. system to qualify for regular benefits, you may be able to qualify for a partial benefit from the United States based on both U.S. and Canadian (CPP/ QPP) credits. However, to be eligible to have your Canadian credits counted, you must have earned at least six credits (generally one and one-half years of work) under the U.S. system

The US has SS agreements with 21 other countries including Canada. The above quote is from this link to the SS.gov website: Description of the U.S.-Canadian Social Security Agreement. Hope it helps answer your question.

Back
Top Bottom