Join Early Retirement Today

ER round 3 - this time it sticking!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ER round 3 - this time it sticking!

Hi All,

I have been on this site for several years and learned/implemented so many of the suggestions and ideas. I am so thankful for the great advise and sound boards for my ideas. I am now sitting on a nice asset base, enough to retire. I was laid of @ work Wednesday, they are giving me 3 months to find another job. After that unemployment and then start the 4% withdrawal.

Karma is a funny thing I needed a very specific number, after including $1700(Worse case) a month for HC and Dental, and I got to that two weeks ago. Just meant to be!

I did announce this before with my last two jobs but other ones came along that looked interesting and had allowed me to increase my portfolio while waiting for my kids to graduate, get jobs etc.. Now I have one left of three with hopefully one semester left. So this time it is sticking - I am going to avoid the temptation to look for another job.

As with all major changes I am nervous now - will my simple allocation of 40% stocks and 50% Bonds and 10% CD's/cash work out. It is in VG admiral index funds - the basic ones Total Stock(90%), Total Intermediate Bond(95%), Total International Stock(10%), Total International Bond(5%). I will have to trust all my research and the results of 35 years of managing my $ so far.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post
- will my simple allocation of 40% stocks and 50% Bonds and 10% CD's/cash work out.
If it doesn't, you'll have a lot of company here to commiserate with.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sorry if the job loss made this decision for you earlier than you might have wanted, but congrats on years of planning and effort that allow you to turn the "job loss" into "freedom found"!

I wouldn't be surprised if another job opportunity found you during this process, but how wonderful that you have the freedom to decide what you want to do now. It sounds like the timing was perfect!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
I'm sorry if the job loss made this decision for you earlier than you might have wanted, but congrats on years of planning and effort that allow you to turn the "job loss" into "freedom found"!

I wouldn't be surprised if another job opportunity found you during this process, but how wonderful that you have the freedom to decide what you want to do now. It sounds like the timing was perfect!
Thanks - It is freedom found. I was going to give my notice next May anyway.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep! Like REWahoo and many others here, I have very nearly the same asset allocation.

I think you'll be fine. Congratulations on your third ER attempt, and hopefully this one will stick!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post
Thanks - It is freedom found. I was going to give my notice next May anyway.
In that case, extra congrats on getting a package to give you some extra positives to the process!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
In that case, extra congrats on getting a package to give you some extra positives to the process!

+1

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Indeed, I'll also be among the very unhappy.

In-control, congratulations!