Family from NJ trying to start planning for retirement… a little behind the ball

Yes. Fair points as I didn't count the primary residence. And he can't get to his pensions for another probably 20 years. Could sell the house and pay rent to eat of course but I doubt it would cash flow. "Early" retirement not highly likely. Retirement at 65 yes but who the heck wants to do that on an ER board !!

Family age 34 /33 should have 3x-4x their annual income saved. That would be 600k. He has pension but no detail on the value of it today or in the future. Nor how secure his job is for the next 20 ...let alone his wife's job.

Age 33 wife. Means baby 2 comes within the next 3 - 4 years. Then full time mommy-work likely to follow ?

Not popping anyone's bubble but I am still a skeptic. The savings rate is just too low for too long to be able to make a 180 degree change. It's not so much the math - he has the income and pension - it's the behavioral spender vs saver mentality that will break them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
34 years! You're not late to the game! You're one of the lucky ones who came to this realization early.

You have made a great start with the books you're reading. Take your time to understand the various aspects - earning, spending, savings, investment, taxes, knowing when you have enough etc.

You sound very excited and anxious to get started. But take your time especially with your investment strategy. That requires knowledge & planning & mistakes hurt more than the delay needed to get the facts & a good plan.

All the best.

Last edited:
Yes. Fair points as I didn't count the primary residence. And he can't get to his pensions for another probably 20 years. Could sell the house and pay rent to eat of course but I doubt it would cash flow. "Early" retirement not highly likely. Retirement at 65 yes but who the heck wants to do that on an ER board !!

Family age 34 /33 should have 3x-4x their annual income saved. That would be 600k. He has pension but no detail on the value of it today or in the future. Nor how secure his job is for the next 20 ...let alone his wife's job.

Age 33 wife. Means baby 2 comes within the next 3 - 4 years. Then full time mommy-work likely to follow ?

Not popping anyone's bubble but I am still a skeptic. The savings rate is just too low for too long to be able to make a 180 degree change. It's not so much the math - he has the income and pension - it's the behavioral spender vs saver mentality that will break them.

It is indeed difficult to go from a spender to a saver but not impossible and as I recall a lot of people on this forum have done it. For me the best approach to keep me from spending was to always take my retirement savings up front. The percentage was basically fixed and what was left over I could do what I wanted, pay off debt, save for college, living, travel, toys. But the retirement has to come off the top. You have to feel that you never had that money, for all practical purposes it doesn't exist until you retire. You can never draw it down for emergencies, layoffs, loans, etc, because it doesn't exist. Until you retire that is.

I had a similar net worth at that age, hadn't had my kids yet (but DID continue working after I had them). I retired this year at age 52. My 40's were the big shift for me. We relocated to a high COLA, but also found lots of free stuff to occupy our time (beach, etc). By changing our spending priorities, we were able to divert more to savings.

I'm not suggesting the OP's task will be super easy. But it is doable. The OP has shown some discipline already - significant portion of mortgage paid down at a relatively young age. No debt other than mortgage and student loan. There have been folks here who turned stuff around from much worth scenarios. If the OP and his wife set their mind to it, it can be done. Even if they haven't hit the arbitrary age based milestones you suggest.

I agree the OP's situation is not bad at all. Many people with higher educations start slower and then pick up steam later in life. I was near a $0 net worth at 36 and in the 16 years since I divorced and was unemployed over a year. But I was determined and now I have just over $500k in assets, not including a paid off house, and a vested gov't pension like the OP. So the OP can do it if the spouse is on board with the changes. (My problem is I can't get the pension for 13 years if I left now, but if I stay here for another 8 years - :( - then it will be immediate)

Welcome aboard sergdman. I think you're off to a good start and you've got the right attitude. Heck, when I was 34, my net worth was negative.

I got started at 32, made a lot less than you combined at that time. I have three kids, all born over the last seven years (maybe that is why I don't spend much, because I have no time to do it). You should be able to save a lot more, it is a mind set to live below your means. Doesn't mean that you cant have fun, but keeping up with the Joneses can't be a priority.

Last edited:
I make comparable to your joint income now at 39 and have thanks to budgeting, great market the last five years and lots of savings gone from $75k net worth at your age to over 10x that amount.

If you can rein in expenses and invest a lot, you will definitely be able to retire on your mid 50's.

My two cents.

Last edited:
How is your spouse to all of this. I suspect she is a big part of the spending issue. Is she on board? Are you both really and truly ready to change lifestyle ? It's pretty tough to change your attitude about money when you are already in your mid 30s... Not impossible but maybe 1 in 5 actually succeed in making all the changes necessary to get on a path to financial independence. If you are accustomed to keeping up with the neighbors it will be really difficult to not care about the neighbors starting Monday morning. That's what you have to do.

My bet is slow or no progress when you check back in 12 months from now. Not being negative but given a half lifetime of spending it's really gonna be hard to change from being profligate to miserly, unless you grew up poor and money was tight and you know how to live that lifestyle again for a decade or so to "catch up"

I calculated that you have approximate net worth today of ....zero. (I gave you about 25k credit for the type of cars you probably drive). That's better than being negative but you can't live long on zero.

Guard those pensions with your life.

Thanks my friend,I know it is not an easy task, hence the plea for help here on the forums.I would love to retire early if possible, but retire comfortably at the minimum.My wife is on board. Spending is usually vacations, and big ticket items such “want” items, motorcycle and third car.Motorcycle is sold and working on selling the third car.Buying things for our daughter and going out to dinner on weekends is what we spend the most on now. Our daughter is also what made us realize that we should plan a little better. We are worried about her, and like I said before, will be helping her plan her future.I wish I had advice and guidance about planning for retirement when I was 15, then I would be way ahead.
So hopefully it will not be a slow progress as you are claiming, but I believe it will be difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make comparable to your joint income now at 39 and have thanks to budgeting, great market the last five years and lots of savings gone from $75k net worth at your age to over 10x that amount.

If you can rein in expenses and invest a lot, you will definitely be able to retire on your mid 50's.

My two cents.

Congrats, yes I should have invested heavily money 5 years ago. Now the problem is what its going to do in the next 5 years. Start investing and then another crash....this is were I am scared and lost. Why I will be doing research on how to invest.

I had a similar net worth at that age, hadn't had my kids yet (but DID continue working after I had them). I retired this year at age 52. My 40's were the big shift for me. We relocated to a high COLA, but also found lots of free stuff to occupy our time (beach, etc). By changing our spending priorities, we were able to divert more to savings.

I'm not suggesting the OP's task will be super easy. But it is doable. The OP has shown some discipline already - significant portion of mortgage paid down at a relatively young age. No debt other than mortgage and student loan. There have been folks here who turned stuff around from much worth scenarios. If the OP and his wife set their mind to it, it can be done. Even if they haven't hit the arbitrary age based milestones you suggest.

Thanks, spending time with my wife and daughter is what I enjoy doing now. The problem is looking for the free stuff to do. Yes we went to the beach often this year, but also had dinners at the restaurant every time we went. From now on put into the retirement fund, then go out to eat if we can.

Congrats, yes I should have invested heavily money 5 years ago. Now the problem is what its going to do in the next 5 years. Start investing and then another crash....this is were I am scared and lost. Why I will be doing research on how to invest.

The first step is to start saving/investing. If you do that, then you are not spending the money.
Decide on an asset allocation and at this point I would DCA into that allocation. Invest your monthly amount into whichever asset is behind. Or if you decide to go into Wellington or another balanced fund and just invest in that fund monthly.
Just keep investing.

Welcome to the forums. We cut our budget in our fifties to retire early so you are getting an earlier start than we did.

To cut our restaurant and entertainment budget we bought Entertainment books on sale. We go out for lunch with a buy one, get one free coupon and it has worked out great. We go out frequently and the cost isn't too much more than eating at home.

For entertainment our library actually has free tickets to about 30 local activities like zoos, plays, aquariums, museums and gardens. Also we bought memberships in a garden and a planetarium that belong to NARM, ASTC and AHA. Between the reciprocal museum / garden / planetarium memberships and the library cards, we get into all sorts of local and statewide attractions for free. Then of course there are the always free or low cost things to do like picnics, parks, farmer's markets, meetup groups, hobby clubs, beaches and bike trails.

Last edited:
I don't think you're behind at all. When I was your age I was married, making less than half what you are, was in that stage of life where I felt I had to acquire everything (house, car, boat, electronics, etc) and had about $20K in the bank.

Twenty years, a second wife, and one kid later at the age of 54, I retired with seven figures in my portfolio.

You can do it and I think you are off to a great start - work on paying off your current debt, be very prudent with any additional debt you acquire, and invest as much as you can.

No amount of research will tell you how to invest for the next 5 years, or what kind of market the next 5 years will bring. From history we can guess that the future will bring periods of growth and periods of decline, certainly a few crashes along the way. So, getting into the market, growth, crash, scares, fear, euphoria, you will experience it all. Better get used to it, so you can keep your head during both the panics and the manics.

Welcome aboard sergdman. I think you're off to a good start and you've got the right attitude. Heck, when I was 34, my net worth was negative.

That was me too. Just out of a divorce, 18 months living at my mother's house to save the down payment/closing on a house and new:facepalm: pickup truck so up to my eyeballs in debt.

14 years later zero debt and driving the same pickup truck.

First of all, kudos to you to be planning ahead like this at the age of 34; you are way ahead of 95%+ of people your age, for even thinking of this. A couple of personal recommendations for you:

- When you think college, think PUBLIC university and not PRIVATE college. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone on this forum who attended a Private College, but the public data (no pun intended) clearly favors a better ROI on a public education, than a private education (yes, there are some exceptions to this rule, but few and far between). To me, college has become a HUGE business, and all of these schools are fighting for your dollar, to help their bottom line, not yours. I advocate your children going to college, but your wife's student debt may be indicative of the point that I'm trying to make;

- I strongly recommend looking at the 7Twelve method of retirement fund allocation (you can look up this book on Amazon, and I have no ties to the author whatsoever). In a nutshell, this system describes allocation strategies across 7 sectors, with 12 different allocation classes overall. The empirical evidence supporting this strategy is rock solid. The only issue you may have is that your retirement plan may not afford you the luxury of all of these allocation classes. I have a self-directed plan, so it works real well for me.

Keep saving, reduce your costs as much as possible, and you will come out ahead in the long run.

Based on what you've said, I don't think your off to a slow start at all compared to most others your age. Get you budget nailed down, including how much you can realistically stash away and then maintain your focus on that end goal.

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice. The interest rate on the student loan which some of you were asking is 6.7%. And the actual amount is 58,000 not 45,000 as I previously thought. This really put a damper on my forward momentum that I had. Me and my wife had a talk and decided to focus on the loan. Some here were saying that it may not be worth paying the loan off, but focus on investing in a retirement fund. I don't know...It is 13,000 more than I thought, but that figure really took out all my motivation and excitement of focusing on retirement. I almost feel like just paying off the loan and be done with it. Then build the emergency fund back up. I just don't know. Anyway I just wanted to let you know this last bit of information that was missing from my challenges and uphill battle I have ahead. Seems like the hill just got longer and steeper.

Thanks Guys

I may get proverbially shot for this, but it could be a good idea to pay off those loans now, or at least make a very large prepayment to significantly cut down the principal. It's possible it doesn't make long term financial sense, but there is a great value to be assigned to peace of mind, by not having that debt.
Quite a few years back I took out a lump sum from my savings to pay off my mortgage. Again, maybe/maybe not it was the right financial thing to do. But the way my mind and emotions work, it was by far the right decision. You might have the same reaction being free of the student debt.

Back
Top Bottom