Join Early Retirement Today

Fear of the unknown?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fear of the unknown?

I've already made my introductory post a while back but have not made a firm decision on when (if?) I'll pull the trigger. Problem was, DW was anxious about us not having enough money even though I was not planning on stopping work, just quitting the grind of the past 20 years and working on developing my side business I've had for the past six years. At this point, I don't really want to stop working because, if it all ended today, I'd be very unhappy with my work life. I wanted to go out doing something that *I* felt was meaningful, not just collecting a paycheck at a job I basically was totally bored with years ago. It will at least provide me with a State pension and we've stashed away a decent sum.

Anyway, DW has come around. She's in a faculty job and she could basically take the summers off if we wanted to travel. My side business is totally on my schedule so it's doable.

Now, all the stars are aligned but I'm still kinda scared because I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It wouldn't be until June 2013 so there's still time to vacillate!

Is this normal or are most people eager and ready to JUMP!?!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Now, all the stars are aligned but I'm still kinda scared because I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It wouldn't be until June 2013 so there's still time to vacillate!

Is this normal or are most people eager and ready to JUMP!?!
Probably the most common and normal sentiment you'll find among potential retirees, here or anywhere. At some point the urge to quit overwhelms the fear of the unknowns, usually contingent on how much $ we each consider safely FI for ourselves. When and how that happens is often different for each of us. Some classic threads just to get you up to speed...

Handling the "just one more year..." syndrome

(FAQ archive) "How much is enough?"

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahhh, the first one was PERFECT and I think worthy of resurrecting!

Thanks! I'll read it often over the next six months.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Without knowing if you are FI, I'd think the real question is "can will your side business make enough to get you FI (and if not, what then)?".
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum, Brad.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Without knowing if you are FI, I'd think the real question is "can will your side business make enough to get you FI (and if not, what then)?".
I think we already are FI. Like I said in my first post (on this thread), it's more for my own self-fulfillment. I don't golf or fish so I (and especially DW) need something to keep us occupied. It's a long story but my side business is a true interest of mine and I've developed a lot of contacts across the country in this industry so it's part vocation and part avocation. I hope to perhaps finally do something that I ENJOY. I'm not sure I ever want to be retired if that means sitting around waiting to die. If all of a sudden we both got interested in sailing (for example) and wanted to spend all our time sailing, that would be fine but nothing like that has happened yet. I'm envisioning long trips interspersed with my business... a nice balance but one where we control our schedule (VERY important) and I don't need to ask for permission to take off from work ().
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Brad.
Thanks, obgyn65, but you can see from my Join Date that I've been around for over a year.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
I think we already are FI. Like I said in my first post (on this thread), it's more for my own self-fulfillment. I don't golf or fish so I (and especially DW) need something to keep us occupied. It's a long story but my side business is a true interest of mine and I've developed a lot of contacts across the country in this industry so it's part vocation and part avocation. I hope to perhaps finally do something that I ENJOY. I'm not sure I ever want to be retired if that means sitting around waiting to die. If all of a sudden we both got interested in sailing (for example) and wanted to spend all our time sailing, that would be fine but nothing like that has happened yet. I'm envisioning long trips interspersed with my business... a nice balance but one where we control our schedule (VERY important) and I don't need to ask for permission to take off from work ().
From my experience, folks who retire thinking they're going to play golf everyday, or go fishing (or sailing) every day as their plan for retirement, eventually find they're sick of what was once a great hobby/activity. In my (short) experience, what I am enjoying about retirement is having so many hobbies/activities to engage in - not one or two. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote