FI/RE a nice problem to have but still a problem

Hey speaking of waves Nords, since you are from the Aloha state, do you happen to know if this video is real, and if real, did this guy actually live through this wave.

This blew my mind when I saw it

Struck in tsunami

Also, I haven't heard of anyone figuring out their retirement date based on a multiple of current expenses before, and I know that there will be lots of variables to consider but I really like the concept. Does current age, expected lifespan, and the current expenses all fit into a formula or is there a chart that one could refer to? I've got plenty of friends who are also benefiting greatly from the boom who I know would be interested in a fairly cut and dried approach.

Grizz - targetting 25x expenses is the same thing as targetting 4% SWR (1/25 = 4%). There are lots of old threads that can provide all sorts of details on the 'safety' of a 4% SWR (or you can just play around on FIRECALC to figure out what numbers you like). It's a useful rule of thumb, but you do need to do some homework at some point to figure out exactly what expenses you have, what assets you want to count, and what asset allocation and success rates you're comfortable with, among lots of other variables.

What I would tell your friends in similar situations is to do some rough math to figure out their expense multiple - if it's anywhere near 20x or higher, go to FIRECALC and use the advanced calculator to figure out, based on their current assets, what annual withdrawls they can sustain. Final step is to sit down and do a hard and honest assessment on what their annual expenses are (this was the hardest part for me). If the annual expenses are > safe withdrawl, then have FIRECALC figure out what savings are needed to support the expenses. It's probably a few hours of effort, but well worth the time invested to evaluate retirement options.

The first time I went through this exercise, I was shocked at how close I was - I'm sure there are lots of other folks out there that have no idea how realistic early retirement is for them.

In any case, sounds like you're all set - best of luck with your decision and have fun with your toys!

As a kid I was a skateboard nut, and spent every summer in my teen years waterskiing, Nowadays I windsurf 2 or 3 times every summer, actually thought that I was getting pretty good until we went on vacation to a funky little town in the Dominican Republic called Cabarete (pretty humbling) Also tried snowboarding once. I was told that I did fairly well for someone that had never had a lesson, but gawd was I sore afterwards.
Well, heck, with that experience you'll be stand-up surfing in about 10 minutes. Seriously.

I've never snowboarded but I'm told that snowboarding puts the weight on the front foot and carves the edges. When you surf you'll put your weight on the rear foot and carve.

Kelly Slater credits much of his technique to crappy little Florida waves and a lot of time on a skateboard.

Its been some time since I was at Oahu, but I do remember taking a trip to a place called Sunshine beach or Sunset beach. Since you're into surfing, you probably know where I'm talking about. Those waves were so huge and powerful that I'd almost have to class them as surreal. Then I saw some guys actually surfing on these things. There have got to be a ton of fatalities in that sport when you get to that level. I also remember seeing some kids that would wait on shore with these little boards and actually ride the receding water. That looked like a blast.
Yep, Sunset. At that wave height a lot of guys wear helmets (or should) and the lifeguards only let you in the water if they know you. It's not so much the wave as it is your head getting slammed into the reef or being held under for 2-3 minutes while you've totally lost your orientation.

The wave-height limit of paddle-in surfing is about 30 feet; a bigger wave moves too fast for a surfer to paddle fast enough to drop into it. (I think that speed is at least 35 MPH.) I think the record tow-in wave is still a 68-footer but a surfer is killed every 1-2 years in the attempt. Part of the problem is that sponsors are paying people to take these insane risks and some of it is just overconfidence.

My motto is "nothing over 16 feet". I've looked over the lip and I've seen enough...

Hey speaking of waves Nords, since you are from the Aloha state, do you happen to know if this video is real, and if real, did this guy actually live through this wave.
This blew my mind when I saw it
Struck in tsunami
It's a "typical" tow-in wave; this one looks to be be about 40 feet. He probably fought his way to the surface shortly after the video stopped. I don't know who it is, when, or where-- Ronin? JB? Anyone else know?

BTW there are also prizes for "best wipeout". It's a lot harder to survive a wipeout than it is to get through a tow-in ride when the wave overtakes you from behind. For example, here's Flea Virostko "dropping in" during the 2004 Eddie Aikau:

Attachments

• FleaWipeoutEddieAikau2005.jpg
    FleaWipeoutEddieAikau2005.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom