FIRE and need a job

adult4me

Confused about dryer sheets
After 28 years I retired from the University I was working at as a Network Admin. I'm 53 and looking for the "perfect" part time job. I'm hoping for $15 to $20 an hour. Any ideas? Thanks

Why would you not just work another year or two, and not have to work at all?

Volunteer at a campground, and get free living. Or do some independent network set up. Maybe computer repair?

Senator,
To answer you question of why not continue to work. My wife is 11 years older than I and we both retired at the same time so we can retired stuff together. thanks for the reply

Senator,
To answer you question of why not continue to work. My wife is 11 years older than I and we both retired at the same time so we can retired stuff together. thanks for the reply

That's great. I am in a similar situation. But why work then? Do the retired stuff...

If you like to travel, I would look for a part time gig with a rental car, hotel, or airline company. Some companies have call center jobs you can do from home and you would could qualify for employee perks.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Why would you not just work another year or two, and not have to work at all?

That's a good point Senator. Unless OP's current gig is the "gig from hell" or unless there are special incentives for retiring now, why give it up just to look for another job?

This is just anecdotal but........ I have two friends who retired from MegaCorps to "get away from the pressure." Both have retirement jobs (oxymoron?) that pay 25% as much but have 75% as much pressure. They still feel tied down and in a scheduling rut.

I know some folks are successful in finding great jobs after MegaCorp, but some wind up giving up most of the money and only a little of the pressure, ridgid scheduling and hassles.

Leap carefully!

After 28 years I retired from the University I was working at as a Network Admin. I'm 53 and looking for the "perfect" part time job. I'm hoping for $15 to $20 an hour. Any ideas? Thanks
I think it's easier to eliminate the things you want to do. For instance, do you want to work remote IT support help desk? I'm thinking you don't want that. On the other hand, you might very much want to do some temp work that requires installation services like your familiar with.

Try indeed.com. It aggregates jobs from many different sources. You can type in your zipcode, part-time, etc. You can restrict search to a narrow geo area, say 5 miles. Build alert searches and have them emailed every day, or once a week.

If you do a general search, you can identify the employers in your area. Or try to find remote things. Your choice.

I haven't used Uber. Someone told me I should try it, and I read up about driver experiences. The link below doesn't prove anything, since it is anecdotal, but I don't think I want to get involved. It might work very well for some, but I think on average you're going to make $10 before taxes. You have all the associated car costs too, so I'd look very carefully before diving in.

If you don't mind a red vest and walking around trying to dodge customers, Lowes would be a nice place, I think, because you get an employee discount.

I was an undercover Uber driver :: Cover :: Philadelphia City Paper

One thing I did not see answered, is *why* do you want a PT job? Do you need something like health insurance that you think a job will provide? do you need the extra income?

I would just be retired and do things with your spouse.

Many people retire INTO universities to get part-time teaching jobs. We have a (full-time) lecture who retired from IBM. I know another person at my university who managed sponsored projects, retired, and immediately came back to work part time (two days a week).

Have you considered a seasonal job like tax preparation or perhaps teaching a night school class tied to your professional experience?

If you have a master's degree you can teach p.t. at the college level. Also many colleges also have classes that you can teach online from anywhere. So you can teach while on vacation. This is what I do.

That's a good point Senator. Unless OP's current gig is the "gig from hell" or unless there are special incentives for retiring now, why give it up just to look for another job?

This is just anecdotal but........ I have two friends who retired from MegaCorps to "get away from the pressure." Both have retirement jobs (oxymoron?) that pay 25% as much but have 75% as much pressure. They still feel tied down and in a scheduling rut.

I know some folks are successful in finding great jobs after MegaCorp, but some wind up giving up most of the money and only a little of the pressure, ridgid scheduling and hassles.

Leap carefully!

This is exceptional advice. I speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom