Join Early Retirement Today

First time poster
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

First time poster

Hi all, I've been reading this board quite a bit for the last several months and have decided to finally ask a question of you....
I just turned 60 last month and have talked to my company HR folks about retirement. If I retire on 2/1/09, I will have about $950K between my company retirement account and 401K which have been administered by Vanguard. My question is, which Vanguard fund(s) should I put my retirement money into that would offer security at the expense of larger returns? In other words, I'm a chicken and am willing to watch my balance not go up as long as it doesn't go down. Was that a dumb enough explaination?
Thanks for any opinions!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, welcome to the board...

You don't want to see your balance go down at all?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhilljr View Post
My question is, which Vanguard fund(s) should I put my retirement money into that would offer security at the expense of larger returns?
I don't have any investments with Vanguard; I use Fidelity. One fund I use for this purpose is a capital preservation and income fund. This year, it has returned 3.6%. Hopefully my other funds (in the long run) will have better returns so that I may keep up with inflation.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Let me clarify....not go down with exception of the money I draw each month.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhilljr View Post
Hi all, I've been reading this board quite a bit for the last several months and have decided to finally ask a question of you....
I just turned 60 last month and have talked to my company HR folks about retirement. If I retire on 2/1/09, I will have about $950K between my company retirement account and 401K which have been administered by Vanguard. My question is, which Vanguard fund(s) should I put my retirement money into that would offer security at the expense of larger returns? In other words, I'm a chicken and am willing to watch my balance not go up as long as it doesn't go down. Was that a dumb enough explaination?
Thanks for any opinions!
Welcome and nice going with your retirement savings. If you truly want to take almost no risk, and don't care about returns (meaning you probably won't even keep up with inflation), the money market funds should do it.

You might want to look at the inflation-adjusted TIPs fund where your share price and interest will varie somewhat, but they will track inflation so at least you won't fall behind.

Finally, there are always CDs which can be laddered to last however long you want, and these have FDIC protection.

Presumably your other holdings are diversified into other investments.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If I were to setup a portfolio with very limited or no downside risk I would invest as follows:

Taxable money: VG short term tax exempt fund, high yield savings accounts.
IRA: CD ladder, VG short term treasury fund, VG Prime money market fund, individual treasuries / agency bonds (longer terms, higher interest rate), individual TIPS.

With such a conservative portfolio, you have to try to be as tax-efficient as possible and keep the fees at rock bottom.