Got kicked out of Mr Money Mustache...

Just to gain a little perspective when you get depressed you don't have $5,000,000 and a $100k pension:

From cheaprvliving.com:

"Hello,
After trying different things and looking at different areas, I'll be in Quartzsite or around there in a week. I'm gonig on two months behind on my car payment, food and money will be real low. Where would a tent tweller living out of his car go to start camping as cheap as possible and close to somewhere I can get a job? Running with about $130 left to my name... so coming in hot. "

Quartsite area in less than a week... no idea where to go or what to do

Thanks. I'm not so far out of the norm as I thought. Below average, but not too far below. I'm single, with no dependents, with a pretty simple/frugal lifestyle, so my net worth goes farther than most. I'm in good shape, and that's all that matters, really.

I guess maybe I notice it more when people talk about their $3 to $5 million dollar stashes, because it stands out to me, and I end up thinking it's more representative of the group than it is.

The MMM forums don't do much for me. And I'm firmly in the 30s sub-million camp, with a strong hint of frugal attitude :) (I spend roughly the same as Mr. MMM, adjusted for a single person).

I liked his earlier articles, but not so much the forum and recent blogs. Hard to explain why.

I think it's mostly the vibe there I get from equating low spending with somehow being a better individual, and the drive to being part of a "mustachian" tribe of sorts. BH on the other hand is a bit too dogmatic and rigid. Threads get closed for a wrong punctuation mark ;)

Here it's flexible and thoughtful people, with a very high degree of wisdom freely shared. I like the age range too, anything from 30s to high 80s. I learn alot from everyone's perspective.

BH on the other hand is a bit too dogmatic and rigid. Threads get closed for a wrong punctuation mark ;)

He doesn't joke. Lady Gaga over there shut me down because I had a comma splice.

+1 to everything you said Totoro. The almost cult-like atmosphere around the whole "mustachian" thing kind of turns me off. However, I am very much not a "joiner" so, as they say, "consider the source" :)

I just wish there were more people like me at 44, but as time goes along more will join.

There are a few of us on here who have retired in our 40's with good sized portfolios and kids still in school.

I retired at 43 after sell a business. That was 3 years ago [now 46] and it has been a rollercoaster. PM me if you want any private advice or experience shares.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The MMM forums don't do much for me. And I'm firmly in the 30s sub-million camp, with a strong hint of frugal attitude :) (I spend roughly the same as Mr. MMM, adjusted for a single person).

I liked his earlier articles, but not so much the forum and recent blogs. Hard to explain why.

I think it's mostly the vibe there I get from equating low spending with somehow being a better individual, and the drive to being part of a "mustachian" tribe of sorts. BH on the other hand is a bit too dogmatic and rigid. Threads get closed for a wrong punctuation mark ;)

Here it's flexible and thoughtful people, with a very high degree of wisdom freely shared. I like the age range too, anything from 30s to high 80s. I learn alot from everyone's perspective.

I agree. Demographically, I feel closer to the MMM crowd but I prefer the ER.org vision of retirement. I also think that the tone of the conversation as well as the content is vastly superior here. BH is way too serious but a good source of information. I just wish there were more of us FIREes in their 30s and 40s here.

Last edited:
Don't feel out of place here! The scales were just tongue in cheek and very arbitrary. We have very much toward the low end of the scale I posted for ER.org but it is more by choice. We chose life over money.

You left off the really frugal types--EarlyRetirementExtreme.com. Yep, the rice and beans crowd!

I read them all. Don't fit in with any of them. Never expect to have $4M. Never liked living on rice and lentils. Like to attend shows that come to town and going to college theater events. Own a gas hog of a Jeep (actually two of them and stripped a third for parts!).

Bottom line every one of them has something to say and useful information. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Also, MMM seems to have a lot of people in their 30's or so, aspiring to financial independence, which is great, but at 54, I prefer an older crowd.

I will probably continue to skim both of them, but I think I prefer the atmosphere and posting style at ER a bit more.

My conclusion early on was that MMM were mostly all just aspiring... Few if any had actual proven success. Even mr mmm himself writes a blog and makes some coin on that web site too .... And he is on here and in this very thread if I'm not mistaken !

By contrast those here at RE were doing or already are done and FIREd. I Preferred to take my advice from those who are doing or already did it.... That was several years ago.

Result: I FIREd at 45.... Earlier this year. In part I can Thank RE.org.

Someone else mentioned penny smart and pound foolish. That hit the nail on the head once I read MMM. Lots of dreamers over there ... Nothing wrong with dreaming but ...

Last edited:
My conclusion early on was that MMM were mostly all just aspiring... Few if any had actual proven success. Even mr mmm himself writes a blog and makes some coin on that web site too .... And he is on here and in this very thread if I'm not mistaken !

By contrast those here at RE were doing or already are done and FIREd. I Preferred to take my advice from those who are doing or already did it.... That was several years ago.

Someone else mentioned penny smart and pound foolish. That hit the nail on the head once I read MMM. Lots of dreamers over there ... Nothing wrong with dreaming but ...

Yeah, the more I read, the more I see that pattern -- people in their 20s and 30s, aspiring to be financially independent one day... As a 54 year old guy who's already reached FI, it feels sort of redundant.

Article on the MMM front page: "Google employee lives in his truck in the parking lot, saves 90% of his income." Text: "Must be a mustacian." :ermm: :blink:

Good forum, though. Wish I'd had it when I was 30. I'm sure the forumers are well ahead of their peers. They are certainly well ahead of me at that age. Maybe I should've lived in my truck.

Feel free to blow his cover.....screen name?? :)

There are a few of us on here who have retired in our 40's with good sized portfolios and kids still in school.

I retired at 43 after sell a business. That was 3 years ago [now 46] and it has been a rollercoaster. PM me if you want any private advice or experience shares.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'm 45 with 2 young kids and plan to RE next year. In some aspects I am frugal... I like washing my own cars, doing my own landscaping, heck... I even cut my own hair. In other areas I don't mind spending money, like private school for my kids, a fun car and a couple rental/vacation condos in Hawaii. I really enjoy visiting this forum, with its mix of advice and comments. I have built a pretty good nw over the years, but I am still a little anxious about er. Threads like this one, help keep me focused on my goals. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have been to the BH forum a couple of times, and got bored fast. It's like walking into a place of worship. Why would you want or care to interrupt a fervent crowd chanting a mantra to challenge or question their belief? Some places or countries on earth impose a death sentence to people bringing in a foreign religious object or practice. Why would I want to visit such places, if I do not share their religion? And if these people do not tolerate other views, perhaps they should stay where they are, and should not be allowed into other countries either. I digress, but hope that you see the analogy of ideologue.

About MMM, I have visited it once or twice. It's good to see people practicing frugality and avoiding consumerism. But as I am now in the "distribution" and not the "accumulation" phase of my life, I find more like-minded posters on this ER.org forum.

Last edited:
I agree. Demographically, I feel closer to the MMM crowd but I prefer the ER.org vision of retirement.....I just wish there were more of us FIREes in their 30s and 40s here.

I am in my 30s and sometimes I get the impression that everybody here is significantly older than me, but actually it seems like quite a few 30-49 year olds are here but we don't talk as much because of that pesky job keeping us busy. So don't feel lonely, we are here 😀

I also feel demographically and financially closer to the MMM crowd, but it's too militant for me. I'm pretty frugal, but I'm not "you are an idiot for paying $9 to go to the movies!!" frugal. I will probably retire with well under a million in investable assets (closer to .5 million) although I hope to have a pension that makes up for that quite a bit. I'm with you, the ER.org vision of retirement is more my speed, all things considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I am in my 30s and sometimes I get the impression that everybody here is significantly older than me, but actually it seems like quite a few 30-49 year olds are here but we don't talk as much because of that pesky job keeping us busy. So don't feel lonely, we are here 😀

I also feel demographically and financially closer to the MMM crowd, but it's too militant for me. I'm pretty frugal, but I'm not "you are an idiot for paying $9 to go to the movies!!" frugal. I will probably retire with well under a million in investable assets (closer to .5 million) although I hope to have a pension that makes up for that quite a bit. I'm with you, the ER.org vision of retirement is more my speed, all things considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

So far, as the new guy in town, I see this site as offering much for everyone at any age, income, NW. As others have said, there is much to admire about MMM, however, after spending some time there, it did feel more cultish. Here, I feel like everyone's individual situations/goals/wants are more accepted without anyone telling you that you deserve a face punch:bat::bat: because went Starbucks or don't have solar panels on your roof. We all have different ideas of what we want and what is important to us individually. It's nice to see how others are "doing it" and apply some of the principles to get where ever you want to go. I think the principles apply whether your goal is $25K or $250K in RE income... good stuff for all:cool:

So far, as the new guy in town, I see this site as offering much for everyone at any age, income, NW. As others have said, there is much to admire about MMM, however, after spending some time there, it did feel more cultish. Here, I feel like everyone's individual situations/goals/wants are more accepted without anyone telling you that you deserve a face punch:bat::bat: because went Starbucks or don't have solar panels on your roof. We all have different ideas of what we want and what is important to us individually. It's nice to see how others are "doing it" and apply some of the principles to get where ever you want to go. I think the principles apply whether your goal is $25K or $250K in RE income... good stuff for all:cool:

This. I think ER.ORG is a good example of different ways to get to different goals. We have young, old, FI, RE, FIREd, and all in between. Even more, there is respect. Perhaps it's the moderators (which manage the forum very well!) But of all the forums I'm involved in, this one has the best 'vibe'.

To me, MMM is a bunch of hipsters...and that makes it pretty annoying.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

So far, as the new guy in town, I see this site as offering much for everyone at any age, income, NW. <snip> Here, I feel like everyone's individual situations/goals/wants are more accepted without anyone telling you that you deserve a face punch:bat::bat: because went Starbucks or don't have solar panels on your roof. We all have different ideas of what we want and what is important to us individually.

This. I think ER.ORG is a good example of different ways to get to different goals. We have young, old, FI, RE, FIREd, and all in between. Even more, there is respect. Perhaps it's the moderators (which manage the forum very well!) But of all the forums I'm involved in, this one has the best 'vibe'.

Completely agree with both posts. I really enjoy it here. MMM seems too anti-establishment while BH seems way too PC, conservative and geared towards wealth building.

The vibe of the crowd here makes me think of lounging by the beach, reading a book while sipping piña coladas. :cool:

I visit and post on all 3 sites but definitely fit in best here.

The only reason I go to MMM these days is to visit the forum area entitled Antimustachian Wall of Shame & Comedy. I do find a lot of those posts and comments entertaining.

I spend a lot of time at MMM because I find it so inspiring, and its forum members are so helpful. Got a question? They're right on it. They're also pretty darn forgiving of my steep learning curve.

Demographically and financially, this forum is probably a better fit for me, and I've started to spend more time reading here, but haven't participated much yet.

I don't got to BH much anymore - not since they took away the "make font size bigger" button. I can't read it!

I'm 51, DH is 50, net worth crested $2M in May, and now... it's back under that, dagnabit.

I love thinking about retirement and researching unicorns, by which I mean LCOL places with great hospitals. We have some big expenses coming up in the next ten years - private high school for our only child, college, and a house for us (we currently live in provided housing at my husband's job). So for this stretch, visiting MMM and ER.org instead of shopping at Zappos seems like a good use of my time and energy. And I LIKE the people on these forums - they tend to be rational, practical, friendly folk.

Last edited:
I would probably like MMM if I were 30 again. I'm of the age now where I want to live a little while still keeping an LBYM mindset.

I also enjoy ER for the variety of people. We have some diversity here, and it is pretty respectful. For example: people are open on the subject of religion or lack thereof, yet there is respect from each side. Thank you.

And speaking of age diversity, I'm a bit worried about imoldernu. He dropped off 6 weeks ago. I hope it is just an IL to FL move or something like that. He's gone silent before, but this time it is worrying me a bit.

I spend a lot of time at MMM because I find it so inspiring, and its forum members are so helpful. Got a question? They're right on it. They're also pretty darn forgiving of my steep learning curve.

Demographically and financially, this forum is probably a better fit for me, and I've started to spend more time reading here, but haven't participated much yet.

I don't got to BH much anymore - not since they took away the "make font size bigger" button. I can't read it!

I'm 51, DH is 50, net worth crested $2M in May, and now... it's back under that, dagnabit.

I love thinking about retirement and researching unicorns, by which I mean LCOL places with great hospitals. We have some big expenses coming up in the next ten years - private high school for our only child, college, and a house for us (we currently live in provided housing at my husband's job). So for this stretch, visiting MMM and ER.org instead of shopping at Zappos seems like a good use of my time and energy. And I LIKE the people on these forums - they tend to be rational, practical, friendly folk.

Anywhere in Ohio is LCOL with arguably some of the best hospitals in the world, including children's hospitals.

Back on topic - my retirement plan fits in better here, but I post a lot more on MMM because I do a lot of DIY projects and have rentals. I bring more value to those posts than I would here with anything investment or financial related.

And speaking of age diversity, I'm a bit worried about imoldernu. He dropped off 6 weeks ago. I hope it is just an IL to FL move or something like that. He's gone silent before, but this time it is worrying me a bit.

Thanks for noticing his absence. I tend to notice frequent posters but not when someone doesn't post for a while. I enjoy his posts and his perspective.

I have been to the BH forum a couple of times, and got bored fast. It's like walking into a place of worship. Why would you want or care to interrupt a fervent crowd chanting a mantra to challenge or question their belief? Some places or countries on earth impose a death sentence to people bringing in a foreign religious object or practice. Why would I want to visit such places, if I do not share their religion? And if these people do not tolerate other views, perhaps they should stay where they are, and should not be allowed into other countries either. I digress, but hope that you see the analogy of ideologue.

About MMM, I have visited it once or twice. It's good to see people practicing frugality and avoiding consumerism. But as I am now in the "distribution" and not the "accumulation" phase of my life, I find more like-minded posters on this ER.org forum.

;)

I still like 'dryer sheets', The Four Yorkshiremen', and '33% That's My Story' from the early days. BUT if you stay cheap enough long enough - as in 20 yrs plus one gets older and less frugal cause time in the market works it's magic.

Plus you can't take it with you or so I've heard.

heh heh heh - :rolleyes: and I have pals at the IRS now past 70 1/2. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom