Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from California
Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Greetings from California

Hello guys, I'm Charlie. I'm originally from Texas but my job as a real estate investor brought me here in California. I'm 25 years old and at this young age, I'm sort of already planning for my early retirement. I was just lurking around here because I want to know how much money I need to retire. Now, I'm not making that much but I'm single though and life has been nice to me so far financial-wise. Also, I'm looking for a girlfriend.

Thanks, it's nice to be here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Charlie, welcome to the forum! We have plenty of Texans and Californians here so you should feel right at home.

It's fine to start thinking about early retirement, but that's probably still years away -- enjoy those years too!

Good luck on the girlfriend search, too. Ah, to be 25 again!

Coach

Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebromley
Hello guys, I'm Charlie. I'm originally from Texas but my job as a real estate investor brought me here in California.
Hey Charlie, welcome!

As a fellow real estate investor (located in NV), I'm curious why you moved from Texas to California to be a real estate investor? I've heard there's some good opportunities in Texas right now, in fact that's where I was looking next for some geographic diversity in my holdings...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
I've heard there's some good opportunities in Texas right now...
Nope, you've been seriously misinformed.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Nope, you've been seriously misinformed.
Oh?

What don't you like about purchasing investment property in Texas right now?

Besides the whole "having to own investment property" thing.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

Drumroll, please...

Because Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, pirate attacks and amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, the highest homeowner insurance rates in the US, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, according to at least one forum member, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees.

Thank you, thank you very much...

Old 12-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Oh?

What don't you like about purchasing investment property in Texas right now?

Besides the whole "having to own investment property" thing.
It's hard to believe anyone wants to buy property in Texas anymore, considering that

Quote:
Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, pirate attacks and amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, the highest homeowner insurance rates in the US, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, according to at least one forum member, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees.
(Note: We think Texan REW is just kidding with his classic anti-Texas rant above, a la "don't throw me in that briar patch!".)
Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #8

Gotcha
Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Drumroll, please...

Because Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, pirate attacks and amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, the highest homeowner insurance rates in the US, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects...
and Texans.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I owned property in TX once. REWahoo did not mention the gumbo that cracks foundations when it dries out. [You do NOT want to be an absentee landlord of TX ppty.] He is quite accurate about the other little negatives about Baja Oklahoma, though.

I used to say, if I were a builder at a party there, I would tell folks I was a car thief. I would get more respect.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Baja Oklahoma
It's rare to have the opportunity to insult (at least) two different populations with the same phrase...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It's rare to have the opportunity to insult (at least) two different populations with the same phrase...
I have been waiting for years for a chance to use that one. Just funnin' y'all.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #13

Ed, this is sure sign you've been living over there in Abracadabra far too long...

Old 12-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
I owned property in TX once. REWahoo did not mention the gumbo that cracks foundations when it dries out. [You do NOT want to be an absentee landlord of TX ppty.] He is quite accurate about the other little negatives about Baja Oklahoma, though.

I used to say, if I were a builder at a party there, I would tell folks I was a car thief. I would get more respect.
Note that this depends upon where you live in Tx in Houston yes you have the clay soils but not in Midland, Plus out in Midland you don't have to deal with Hurricanes, or alligators and other swamp creatures. Of course there are desert dwellers there as well as dust storms. In addition around Midland you find miles and miles of miles and miles. Never having lived in DFW I don't know about the soils there. (The hill country on hill tops there is no soil, so you can build your house on a rock, or a bit further north if you can buy a granite hilltop you can build a house on granite. (no foundation needed mother nature has a nice over 1 billion year old foundation for you)
Old 12-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Actually, I wouldn't mind living in the hill country. Nice place. Except for the traffic, which is beyond belief, Austin is good, too.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #16

Going by his description, how does anyone survive living in Texas?

I think he's found a nice place and wants to keep the secret to himself so it doesn't get discovered.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think he's found a nice place and wants to keep the secret to himself so it doesn't get discovered.
Sure. 90+ days of temps of 100 or more, virtually no rainfall for months, 200 year old oak trees dying from lack of water, towns without drinking water. Nice place..

Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #18

Quote:

Priceless. You should copyright that. Hope you don't mind if I make occasional use.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It may be too late for that. From Forbes' list of America's Fastest-Growing Cities earlier this year, Texas had 4 of the top 10 spots, including the #1 spot.

10. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C./VA
9. San Antonio, TX
8. Indianapolis, IN
7. Nashville, TN
6. Salt Lake City, UT
5. Houston, TX
4. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
3. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ
2. Raleigh-Cary, NC
1. Austin, TX

America's Fastest-Growing Cities - Forbes.com

Part of the reason I've heard it's a good time to be investing in Real Estate in TX.

Still curious if the OP will come back and explain his comment about moving from TX to CA to get involved in real estate investing.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't mind living in the hill country. Nice place. Except for the traffic, which is beyond belief, Austin is good, too.
The traffic may be bad in San Antonio Austin and in between, but if you get up into the Hill country small towns traffic is not bad, and further west traffic whats traffic?, as parts are basically still at frontier population levels. Along I 35 the traffic is bad but go west and it dies off rapidly.