Greetings, nash031 - DINK, 36-yo military officer

Definitely having a bigger household makes it harder. Right now, we could be happy with a $500-$600K place in San Diego. But I could see how a family with kid(s) could quickly end up over $1mm (and thus 5-figures property tax). No doubt San Diego can be a place where even $250K HHI isn't enough.

If you RE in several years and your wife keeps working, are you both expecting that you'll become the full stay at home parent and house maker? If we have kids, I worry how that plays out -- I don't view full-time parent as retired...in fact, I consider it a full-time job.

Poor choice of words. I didn't mean that your or my DW's job was easy, just maybe a lot nicer of a situation overall than either of ours, and probably much less focused on the $ contribution it makes to FIRE.

I have a hard time with the property taxes here. We bought our home in 2011, and if we stay there for good, I can still move many other places with property tax rates 6% or more lower than what we have here right now, and the basis for those taxes would be about the same or markedly lower depending on where we move and what we buy. Even with prop 13 to our advantage, it'd take a couple decades of appreciation for those other areas to catch up... and that's in our very modest home right now, where I'm definitely not looking to stay long term and never have been.

When we look at different homes here that more meet what we'd like long term, even affording the house itself, you're still talking 5-figures of property tax every year for the rest of your life, not to mention some of them have HOAs that are half of my wife's former rent payment.

I've not reconciled those expenses where I'm basically lighting significant amounts of money on fire to get better weather for roughly four months out of the year than, say, Charleston, SC.

We'll see. No decisions need to be made today!

I wouldn't characterize her job as "easy" nor that she doesn't make pretty good money. She works hard, she brings home well above the median household income in the US on her own, but relative to me, she's making a little less than 50%. But she loves her job, and it keeps her happy when I'm gone, so I don't push against it. She could make more, but she's happy, and that matters.

Last edited:
If you RE in several years and your wife keeps working, are you both expecting that you'll become the full stay at home parent and house maker? If we have kids, I worry how that plays out -- I don't view full-time parent as retired...in fact, I consider it a full-time job.

Poor choice of words. I didn't mean that your or my DW's job was easy, just maybe a lot nicer of a situation overall than either of ours, and probably much less focused on the $ contribution it makes to FIRE.
You nailed it with that last paragraph. I view it as "human capital" - it keeps her happy!

I don't intend to be a true "homemaker", but it really depends on if we have a second child or not. If we only have the one, she'll be close to school age by the time I retire from the military. If we stay here in Coronado, I'll undoubtedly find different work, perhaps part time, perhaps something more in line with my wife's idea of a job - something I like doing that doesn't pay what I could command elsewhere. As I mentioned, parenting an infant isn't a natural joy for me, so I'm probably not well suited to do the SAHD thing with a second kiddo, should that happen.

All these are details we have to sort out over the next few years! :confused:

2018 annual update:

Still tracking towards our "number" to meet our expenses in retirement by 1 Jan 2020 at age 42. I intend to retire from the Navy on that date, but not sure what I'm going to do from there yet. I shouldn't need to work, but have more to give and time to give it, which could afford a higher standard of living for us. Wife will continue to work for some time as well, so odds are good that we'll spend some time "running up the score". Not concerned - we'll figure out a way to "blow that dough".

Relevant updates from the last 12 months:

- Post 9/11 GI Bill still has 19 months of value, meaning DD could go basically anywhere and we'd have to pay for about 3 semesters. *IF* I get a disability rating next year, she'll be able to attend any CA state school tuition free if we are still CA residents at that time, which is likely. Learning about these options made me feel a whole lot better about funding her education, and made me wonder why we're funding a 529. Still, I plan to fund the 529 for the next 18 months while it still makes sense from a present-day tax standpoint. After that, I probably won't fund it any longer since CA's 529 is pretty weak, and that's where I'll be paying my state taxes once I retire.

- Odds are we'll be in the market for a new house sooner rather than later as we're outgrowing our current modest home in Coronado. While we'd take a healthy return if we sold today, it doesn't make sense for us yet, but that's in the offing in the next two years, I'd guess. We might be hunting a "forever" home, or maybe it will just be a "for raising the family" home. There's a good chance our family will grow +1 in the near future. :smile:

- Also will purchase a new vehicle in the next 12 months. Planning to pay cash. Maybe an Outback; maybe an Audi All-road; maybe a Highlander. We'll see. I like car shopping.

- Started working up a "real world" resume; also started working on some coaching certifications as well as potential employment certifications. I've got some time now to wrap some of those things up, get some medical issues addressed, and make preparations for my much-anticipated transition to civilian life next fall.

In any event, I'm looking forward to being FI, and then finding something I want to do without the pressure of bringing in a high income. Just knowing that's on the horizon is quite a relief.

This is the first time I’ve read your thread and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. Good luck and thank you for your service[emoji631]

I hope whatever is possibly making you eligible for disability isn't too bad.
Assuming you plan to stay in CA, or specifically Coronado, expect high prices on whatever you buy. Sure you'll be able to roll over your gain, but so will the seller of whatever you buy. SoCal real estate is ridiculous.

Good update. Keep working the plan.

I hope whatever is possibly making you eligible for disability isn't too bad.
Assuming you plan to stay in CA, or specifically Coronado, expect high prices on whatever you buy. Sure you'll be able to roll over your gain, but so will the seller of whatever you buy. SoCal real estate is ridiculous.

Good update. Keep working the plan.
That's my ongoing frustration with SoCal real estate, particularly because our modest home made gains, but anything larger made, thus, larger absolute gains. We're in a game of catch-up in that regard, and we're working through some possible options, most of which include not living in Coronado for a while. We'll see.

A 0% VA disability rating is all that's required for the CalVet tuition benefit. I'm almost surely going to qualify for that based on back and hip injuries for which I've sought treatment multiple times during my career but which aren't much more than a nuisance for me right now. While that doesn't warrant any kind of direct VA compensation, it checks the block for CalVet benefits.

Good to see another update. Yeah I'd love to sell my current home, cash in the equity and then buy a nicer one but the nicer ones have appreciated just as much if not more. Such is the RE market in SoCal so I guess I'll have to cash in when I retire and move out of state or the expensive county at least.

Congratulations-- it's great to watch a plan come together!

I intend to retire from the Navy on that date, but not sure what I'm going to do from there yet. I shouldn't need to work, but have more to give and time to give it, which could afford a higher standard of living for us. Wife will continue to work for some time as well, so odds are good that we'll spend some time "running up the score". Not concerned - we'll figure out a way to "blow that dough".
“I’m going to spend a few months with family while I decide which career field to pursue.”

You may be surprised at how many other priorities you develop, as long as you have dinner on the table when your spouse comes home from the workday.

For me, the biggest issue with working after military retirement was the commitment. I was reluctant to take a job just to see how I could do, and I felt obligated to give an employer at least a year of my time. Then I realized that I’d like a whole lot more vacation time than an employer might be willing to handle. Suddenly my time became more important than any amount of money.

I also wasn’t sure that I’d be able to treat any job as just a job instead of a ladder-climbing career.

If you’re ambivalent then it might be worth keeping your security clearance updated and active. If you need a new investigation before 2020 then it’s best to start now. If you decide to take a job with a clearance right after retiring from active duty, then you could transfer in status. If you take a gap year then you could simply keep track of your clearance data and let your new employer work it out with the government. If any of this paragraph seems like an onerous chore then that could be a sign of your actual interest in a bridge career.

Another way to assess your bridge-career aspirations is attending TAP now. You’ll listen to your fellow TAP attendees and decide if their career-search ambitions are what you want to do. Or you could track down some recent retirees in your area for a cup of coffee.

If you take the “few months with family” approach, then you might not hear anything until July. You might not be subject to the six-month ethics rules but I got a noticeable surge of queries on the 181st day after my retirement date.

- Post 9/11 GI Bill still has 19 months of value, meaning DD could go basically anywhere and we'd have to pay for about 3 semesters. *IF* I get a disability rating next year, she'll be able to attend any CA state school tuition free if we are still CA residents at that time, which is likely.
A 0% VA disability rating is all that's required for the CalVet tuition benefit. I'm almost surely going to qualify for that based on back and hip injuries for which I've sought treatment multiple times during my career but which aren't much more than a nuisance for me right now. While that doesn't warrant any kind of direct VA compensation, it checks the block for CalVet benefits.
You’ve already figured out CalVet, and you can get the VA disability claim started before you finish the retirement physical. Your rating letter will not be official until at least the date of your retirement. The biggest issue with filing a VA disability claim in a military concentration area is that there are usually far more veterans than C&P appointments.

I have four posts on the blog which walk through the techniques you can use to make it easier for the C&P doctors to do their job. You’re right to continue to seek treatment in addition to documenting the service-connected disability. Otherwise you might be deemed “cured”.
http://the-military-guide.com/file-veterans-disability-claim-not-just/

It’s very much worth your time to spend a few hours with the Disability Benefits Questionnaires (linked from those posts) and the VA disability ratings schedule:
The Original Legal Text of the Schedule for Rating Disabilities

The actual disability rating is not a CalVets issue, and the disability money is not an issue for you, but you absolutely want to document the baseline. Who knows, now that you can have a real doctor’s conversation without worrying about flight status, you might be able to work out a more comprehensive treatment plan.

You might have already seen this post from Eddie Wills:
The $122K Mistake I made leaving Active Duty | GubMints
He’s a submarine vet, and he’s also a few miles up the road from you. It’s worth seeking him out about civil service versus corporate careers. He has plenty of suggestions and SoCal contacts. I’d send him an e-mail through his site.

- Started working up a "real world" resume; also started working on some coaching certifications as well as potential employment certifications. I've got some time now to wrap some of those things up, get some medical issues addressed, and make preparations for my much-anticipated transition to civilian life next fall.
Have you sent a PM to Laurence yet? He’s very familiar with the SoCal career market for military veterans. Lee Cohen of Lucas Group is also up in Irvine and would be happy to point you into their funnel.

I was stationed at the former FCTCPAC (up on top of Point Loma by TACTRAGRUPAC) from 1994-97. Coronado was nice, but I really disliked the “Coronado tax”. (“Oh, you’re in Coronado? Let me add 25% to that estimate.”) Going north and east from there gives you lots of home & schools options, although that depends on whether you plan to commute to a job.

“I’m going to spend a few months with family while I decide which career field to pursue.”

You may be surprised at how many other priorities you develop, as long as you have dinner on the table when your spouse comes home from the workday.

If you’re ambivalent then it might be worth keeping your security clearance updated and active. If you need a new investigation before 2020 then it’s best to start now.

Another way to assess your bridge-career aspirations is attending TAP now. You’ll listen to your fellow TAP attendees and decide if their career-search ambitions are what you want to do.
Good advice here. I attended TAP about two months ago - nearly 20 months out - based on the recommendation of a friend who retired a couple of years ago. It was both informative and shed light on what I was willing to do. In fact, it was the impetus for my statement of "I have more to give and the time to give it." I found myself energized by the prospect of interviewing and the job search, with literally an open canvas for what I could do ranging from coaching athletes to a true "bridge career" to something in between: a bridge career which provides income while I build a coaching career.

Fortunately, I do require another investigation prior to retirement, as my clearance lapses in May. That said, it makes sense to go through the process now, instead of waiting until I have a retirement request in, so I think that's good advice!

You’ve already figured out CalVet, and you can get the VA disability claim started before you finish the retirement physical. Your rating letter will not be official until at least the date of your retirement. The biggest issue with filing a VA disability claim in a military concentration area is that there are usually far more veterans than C&P appointments.

I have four posts on the blog which walk through the techniques you can use to make it easier for the C&P doctors to do their job. You’re right to continue to seek treatment in addition to documenting the service-connected disability. Otherwise you might be deemed “cured”.
http://the-military-guide.com/file-veterans-disability-claim-not-just/

It’s very much worth your time to spend a few hours with the Disability Benefits Questionnaires (linked from those posts) and the VA disability ratings schedule:
The Original Legal Text of the Schedule for Rating Disabilities

You might have already seen this post from Eddie Wills:
The $122K Mistake I made leaving Active Duty | GubMints
He’s a submarine vet, and he’s also a few miles up the road from you. It’s worth seeking him out about civil service versus corporate careers. He has plenty of suggestions and SoCal contacts. I’d send him an e-mail through his site.
Thanks for the links. I will read them! I've been doing more poking around your site since attending TAP. A lot of it makes more sense to me now. (FWIW, I'm on the Ruehlin opportunity mailing list for the local area now. Seems like seats open up pretty frequently, so I'm optimistic I'll get a seat sometime in the next 6-12 months).

Have you sent a PM to Laurence yet? He’s very familiar with the SoCal career market for military veterans. Lee Cohen of Lucas Group is also up in Irvine and would be happy to point you into their funnel.

Coronado was nice, but I really disliked the “Coronado tax”. (“Oh, you’re in Coronado? Let me add 25% to that estimate.”) Going north and east from there gives you lots of home & schools options, although that depends on whether you plan to commute to a job.
Not familiar with Laurence - is he a colleague of yours or a site member here? I have been on the Lucas roles for more than a decade, so they're aware of my "date" and in contact. I will happily hit up these contacts and continue to network as much as possible.

Re: Coronado, I agree - there's a "tax" there. My wife loves it; she's lived there going on 13 years, so it's going to be tough to pry her away. While she is more financially savvy than the average bear, she is not 100% plugged in to the details of our financial situation like I am. She often floats ideas to me, and I give the yea/nay. We need to sit and have a real discussion about what we're able to do and what makes sense for us based on our present situation, and then what would be required to make some of those "brass ring" dreams come true... and then decide if we want to put in the effort. As mentioned, she is someone who falls into "do something you love and you never work a day in your life", so for her the concept of working is not a question. That provides some income and makes that "brass ring" more in reach regardless of what I do. The commute issue will be a "thing" for me where we live, and if we insist on living on the strand or in the village, that will restrict my employment options somewhat as I have no interest in dealing with a long daily commute.

Thanks as always for your time!

Good advice here. I attended TAP about two months ago - nearly 20 months out - based on the recommendation of a friend who retired a couple of years ago. It was both informative and shed light on what I was willing to do. In fact, it was the impetus for my statement of "I have more to give and the time to give it." I found myself energized by the prospect of interviewing and the job search, with literally an open canvas for what I could do ranging from coaching athletes to a true "bridge career" to something in between: a bridge career which provides income while I build a coaching career.
TAP absolutely pumps you up for the career search. As you approach terminal leave, you (and your spouse) will have to keep in touch with your feelings and your plans.

Keep an eye on the dissatisfiers, too. Work is a lot of fun if not for all the civilian attire, mandatory meetings, rush-hour traffic, and other wastes of time. If you can design your own career then you’re well ahead of most veterans.

(FWIW, I'm on the Ruehlin opportunity mailing list for the local area now. Seems like seats open up pretty frequently, so I'm optimistic I'll get a seat sometime in the next 6-12 months).
That’s a great deal. I can’t remember whether they encourage spouses to attend also, but it’s a very good opportunity for reflection & discussion while you’re crafting a plan and networking it.

Not familiar with Laurence - is he a colleague of yours or a site member here?
One of the early members.
Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Profile: laurence
He doesn’t talk much about his location or his career here but you guys have a lot to discuss. Please give him my aloha.

Re: Coronado, I agree - there's a "tax" there. My wife loves it; she's lived there going on 13 years, so it's going to be tough to pry her away. While she is more financially savvy than the average bear, she is not 100% plugged in to the details of our financial situation like I am. She often floats ideas to me, and I give the yea/nay. We need to sit and have a real discussion about what we're able to do and what makes sense for us based on our present situation, and then what would be required to make some of those "brass ring" dreams come true... and then decide if we want to put in the effort. As mentioned, she is someone who falls into "do something you love and you never work a day in your life", so for her the concept of working is not a question. That provides some income and makes that "brass ring" more in reach regardless of what I do. The commute issue will be a "thing" for me where we live, and if we insist on living on the strand or in the village, that will restrict my employment options somewhat as I have no interest in dealing with a long daily commute.
The only other Coronado resident who I remember is Bruce Linder. He’s third- or fourth-generation Navy and a legend in the 1990s SWO community. I think he retired in the early 2000s. He used to be the CO of FLTASWTRACEN, which I understand is now “Navy Mine and Antisubmarine Warfare Command”-- the military training base across the bay from Coronado on North Harbor Drive near the Sheraton resort ant Point Loma Seafoods. My spouse will be forever grateful to him for his mentorship & help while she was stationed there. Anyway he’d be another good guy to track down for a cup of coffee about spending the rest of your life in Coronado.

It's that time again, annual update and quite a few things have changed from above:

- Turning 42 next week.
- Now proud daddy of two little girls (and we're done!), almost 3 and 3 months old.
- Navy Retirement Approved for 1/1/2020.
- Sold our house and moved from Coronado a little bit inland to Bonita to a larger house better for the family, roughly the same price as what we sold for, so a little less $$$ tied up in home equity.

- We reached my initial FI target and presently sit about $50,000 above it with the market down off its high and still 7 months of compiling left.

- I've run the numbers, and I do not need to work following retirement provided my wife continues to work, as she plans to.

- We aren't fully FI based on our current spending, but probably are FI based on expected spending once things like nanny costs, etc., are gone. I've settled on using 3.5% as the planning WR based on Nords' suggested ERN study from another forum. Probably overly conservative, but with a 50 year planning timeline and a desire to travel (if nothing else) that margin will work for us.

- I'm in the throes of deciding what's next. I'm thinking the "Semi-ER" route is the route I'll take. That is, I may work a contracting gig for a few years, or I may go sell bike parts to cover the small amount of difference between my wife's income + my pension and our spending. I *could* reasonably cover this with dividend income, but I kind of want to dabble in the cycling industry, so I may start by working some retail and seeing where that goes.

Or I might contract for a little bit, work bike stuff on the side. I'm already a licensed cycling coach. Would like to get my USATF and USAT coaching certs, perhaps learn bike fitting, and just generally cobble together a side gig involving my passion for cycling, running and triathlon. I've got a little bit of time to decide, and irons in both fires. Now, it's just a matter of picking a path.

The nice part now is that we know what our family will be. We know we have a good home for 10 or so years, right down the street from a good elementary school that we can walk our girls to. We are very close to my wife's work and there are a few options here for me, too. Ideally, we can let the pile grow for 10 more years while she works without touching it, and then see what's possible then.

The only open question is, do I want to really work for the brass ring? I kinda doubt it, but I think a bridge career or a semi-ER side gig makes some sense for me. We'll see soon enough!

Wow, talk about a feel-good post! Good-going nash031. Sounds like your present and your future are certainly on the right path.

Enjoy your retirement! I found it nice to have a couple of hobby businesses I could work on when the kids were in school. DH had salary job, too, during that time. After he retired we wound both businesses down over the years to both be fully retired.

Last edited:
The nice part now is that we know what our family will be. We know we have a good home for 10 or so years, right down the street from a good elementary school that we can walk our girls to. We are very close to my wife's work and there are a few options here for me, too. Ideally, we can let the pile grow for 10 more years while she works without touching it, and then see what's possible then.

The only open question is, do I want to really work for the brass ring? I kinda doubt it, but I think a bridge career or a semi-ER side gig makes some sense for me. We'll see soon enough!
Outstanding. I love it when a plan comes together.

You seem to have everything covered, so I’ll just mention that you might get another wave of phone calls & e-mails at the six-month point after you’re retirement date when the federal ethics window expires. It might not have anything to do with you, but if defense contractors are hiring then their legal staff frequently make them follow those rules even if they don’t apply to your rank/specialty.

Otherwise, your lifestyle choices are what financial independence is all about!

Nice job, Nash!
Can’t wait to be in your shoes. Great retirement date, btw. :)
What a blessing it will be to enjoy semi retired/RE life with those little girls.

Outstanding. I love it when a plan comes together.

Otherwise, your lifestyle choices are what financial independence is all about!
Thanks! Your book, your blog and many of the resources you've suggested over the years played a big role in a lot of our decision making. Most recently, we discussed survivor benefit package and used some of the blog articles and guest bloggers' articles from your website, and found them far more relevant to our situation than the standard military family blogs that all seem to assume a non-working spouse, not much savings, etc. We opted for the child-only option, and will use some of the additional $260/month to amplify our life insurance holdings on me, and probably cancel the policy on my wife since (God forbid) if something happens to her, I'm unlikely to stay here in SoCal. So, those blogs were good food for thought for both of us.

I admit to being disappointed with the viewpoints expressed on SailorBob WRT FIRE, but as the good people here know, there's a lot of misunderstanding and sometimes envy out there for the FIRE/LBYM-high-savings-rate lifestyle, and it rears its ugly head in a lot of different ways. I reached out via PM to the most recent poster, and chimed in in the thread as well, because so many young JOs have a unique opportunity - I'd argue even better now with BRS - to become FI by the time they're in their early 40s, and so few actually do it because it just never occurs to them.

Enjoy your retirement! I found it nice to have a couple of hobby businesses I could work on when the kids were in school. DH had salary job, too, during that time. After he retired we wound both businesses down over the years to both be fully retired.
Wife loving her job is a HUGE plus. I think she'd do it for free. We're at 100% for FIRECalc based on our current situation with her continuing to work until 2029 as is her current plan, even if we cover our current spending gap with dividends. That's a hell of a good feeling, and I feel like that's the "floor" right now, considering I didn't even account for SS or any additional income or savings that I may bring to the table during that time.

As Nords said, the multitude of choices that we now have is what made the LBYM for the last 20 years worthwhile. I hope to find something I enjoy as much as my wife enjoys her work, even if what I want probably won't pay me much at all! :dance:

Get a copy of your medical record ceriified copy if possible, make sure your service record has all the places you have been to recorded.
Any medical issues get it looked at and recorded, hearing test, get a sleep study for apnea .

Get a copy of your medical record ceriified copy if possible, make sure your service record has all the places you have been to recorded.
Any medical issues get it looked at and recorded, hearing test, get a sleep study for apnea .

All already done! My CPAP has literally changed my life in terms of sleep quality. I’m better rested now with a 3 month old than I have been in a long, long time.

Congrats (former) neighbor! Bonita is a lovely area, and a great pace to raise a young family. Best wishes to all of you as you start this new phase of your lives.

Thanks! Your book, your blog and many of the resources you've suggested over the years played a big role in a lot of our decision making. Most recently, we discussed survivor benefit package and used some of the blog articles and guest bloggers' articles from your website, and found them far more relevant to our situation than the standard military family blogs that all seem to assume a non-working spouse, not much savings, etc. We opted for the child-only option, and will use some of the additional $260/month to amplify our life insurance holdings on me, and probably cancel the policy on my wife since (God forbid) if something happens to her, I'm unlikely to stay here in SoCal. So, those blogs were good food for thought for both of us.
You’re welcome; I’m glad it’s helping!

Child-only SBP is a great choice, especially when you’re more interested in term life insurance.

I admit to being disappointed with the viewpoints expressed on SailorBob WRT FIRE, but as the good people here know, there's a lot of misunderstanding and sometimes envy out there for the FIRE/LBYM-high-savings-rate lifestyle, and it rears its ugly head in a lot of different ways. I reached out via PM to the most recent poster, and chimed in in the thread as well, because so many young JOs have a unique opportunity - I'd argue even better now with BRS - to become FI by the time they're in their early 40s, and so few actually do it because it just never occurs to them.
“Disappointed” is a good word for that philosophical (“generational”?) divide over there. I feel an affinity for those folks but there are days when I feel as if I’m wasting my time on them.

I wouldn’t have minded that retiree (of senior rank) posting something self-referential like “I just can’t bring myself to trust the 4% SWR” but instead he had to tell a junior officer “You can’t reach FI by age 35”.

Like you, I’m getting PMs (from other junior officers) asking for more details about FI and SWRs and everything else. As adversarial as part of the SailorBob discussion might be, it’s helping to raise awareness and get other people to start down the FI path.

“Disappointed” is a good word for that philosophical (“generational”?) divide over there. I feel an affinity for those folks but there are days when I feel as if I’m wasting my time on them.
Also telling is how few participants there were in that thread, let alone supportive ones. You, me, and maybe one or two others. The rest were detracting, deflecting, or generally making themselves feel better about their decisions.

One of the more interesting case studies in my small world is a good friend of mine, retired as an O4E surface nuke, his (now ex-) wife made more than he did, so between them bringing in more than $300k/year. She took a new job across the country and announced her desire for a divorce about 3 years after his retirement. In the negotiation, he kept his pension intact, but to do so gave up his 50% community property claim to $150K of her 401k. He lamented that that was the money he was going to "turn into $1MM" by the time he was 65 so he could retire.

When they sold their house, they split about $300K in profit, so he walked out of the marriage with his pension and healthcare (no small potatoes), and whatever meager savings he'd personally retained on his own in spite of their earnings over 10 years of marriage. With his earnings from the house sale, he immediately plunked $75,000 down for the membership "load" at one of the nicest country clubs in the area where he now lives, and that doesn't even include the annual five-figure membership dues. He seems happy, and plays a lot of golf, I just wonder for how long he'll enjoy the high-travel working life he currently has as he approaches 50.

Each time we've talked about life and finances and stuff like this, it reminds me how few people actually think this stuff through early on, and how most simply resign themselves to working until they are 65, even when they have tremendous advantages like pensions, inexpensive healthcare, and significant 6-figure incomes in their 20s and 30s.

I have talked to at least half a dozen or more LTs and junior over the last five years about early retirement with the benefit of military service up to and including military retirement. I always recommend your book and blog, and will continue to do so for as long as anyone will listen!

Each time we've talked about life and finances and stuff like this, it reminds me how few people actually think this stuff through early on, and how most simply resign themselves to working until they are 65, even when they have tremendous advantages like pensions, inexpensive healthcare, and significant 6-figure incomes in their 20s and 30s.
In their defense, I was the same way up until my early 30s. I joke about "When the student is ready, the teacher has been patiently standing there the entire time", but I think the vast majority of people come to financial independence only when life starts throwing curve balls and they realize they want to have more control of their time.

Or at least more time with their family!

I have talked to at least half a dozen or more LTs and junior over the last five years about early retirement with the benefit of military service up to and including military retirement. I always recommend your book and blog, and will continue to do so for as long as anyone will listen!
Thanks!

I met several servicemembers & vets last week at CampFI Mid-Atlantic, and they're well on their way to FI.

In their defense, I was the same way up until my early 30s. I joke about "When the student is ready, the teacher has been patiently standing there the entire time", but I think the vast majority of people come to financial independence only when life starts throwing curve balls and they realize they want to have more control of their time.

Yeah, well, he’s 50! [emoji23] I’m here, but I don’t preach to him. To each their own!

For some there is a seminal event... for me (and therefore us) it was my father’s cancer diagnosis two years after he retired at 76 yrs old. I wasn’t going down that path... I’d already started saving with intent, but that gave me purpose and an end. That’s when I came across this forum and your book/blog back now seven years ago!

Congrats, Nash...that's awesome to hear. I am afraid you will have to do something w*rk related, lest you become a SAHD and *not* retired. :)

I have had a couple folks say that I am just a "kept man" since my DW continues to w*rk (in something she enjoys and can do from the comfort of home in her PJs) but I tell them that being a member of the "blue card mafia" negates that title.

Back
Top Bottom