Having some trouble with this phase of life we call 'retirement"

My sympathy to those of you struggling with finding meaning in retirement.

I am truly thankful for my blissful ignorance of this issue - since I pulled the plug eight years ago I've never looked back and never had a day when I didn't thank my lucky stars I was no longer working.

Life is good...

I am truly thankful for my blissful ignorance of this issue - since I pulled the plug eight years ago I've never looked back and never had a day when I didn't thank my lucky stars I was no longer working.

Life is good...

My sentiments exactly.

Welcome to the forum. I have a way to go before I retire, but I'm in no hurry. I like {need} the structure of work. When I have a few days off, being around the house starts to wear on me. It's not rocket science I do, but it does make me feel good when I can make folks' wedding or birthday party one to remember.

If you do take the job, stay at least a year. It wouldn't be fair to cut and run sooner than that.

But my advise to anyone with too much time and not enough to do is to write a novel. When I was working on my first one, I was so into it, I was lucky to feed me or the dog. If you have tried everything else, try writing.

Larro

Last edited by a moderator:
One BIG surprise for me is how unprepared I was for retirement outside of the financial part. All my working years, when I thought about retirement, my thoughts always centered around having enough money to retire and never, ever what would I do in retirement. So, when I decided to pull the plug on my career and I started waking up in the A.M. with total control over my own day, I started to face challenges I never thought I would have. Free at last and here I am confused about life purpose. What a surprise.

Although ER is not without it's dissonance, you can take comfort that for most people it is a better path than staying in the cubicle.

Life is good...

My sentiments exactly.

+2

I have been retired for 1417 days. Every one of those 1417 days* has been among the 1420 or so best days in my life.

*Even the day when I had my colonoscopy! :2funny:

Thanks to all who are honestly saying what they feel..both the confused ones and the extremely happy ones. I am still in days where in the morning, I am feeling 'WTH did I do?', and then as I go to do my 1st pre-set up activity...usually a fun thing, involving being with other people, then I feel really happy. I am tired of my Down and then UP moments, all within one day. I am confident though, that as I get more used to this...there will mostly be UP moments. I am just 'new' at this..but, now that I am FREE, I need this to be my new HAPPY norm. It will happen. I really like this board!

Good luck to you. I'm 3 months in at age 49 and can sympathize with your feelings. For me it's been 95% great sprinkled with occasional feelings of loss. Not regret, but loss of my identity with my previous profession.

After reading of others struggle, I feel fortunate it's only 5%. I know I made the right move for my family and I always remind myself that the worst that could happen is I go back to the land of the working.

I work with new media and am able to reach millions of people each year, sometimes millions in a single month.

I feel like I have been very fortunate in life, some due to hard work and a lot more just being in the right place at the right time, and I owe the world a lot of payback. So my golden years will be maybe making some money but I also feel a strong obligation to use what I know for public service projects.

As one of those very early retirees now going on year 14, I'll admit to be being envious of those with huge passion or all consuming hobby. My dad retired at 55, and immediately threw himself to building a wooden airplane. 7 years later he was done and fortunately enjoy 10 years of flying (and tinkering with it) before dying pretty young.

I honestly expected to find a second career (paid) after a few years, but it didn't work out that way. Mostly because I am lazy but partly because, companies doing cool things hatch everyday in Silicon Valley and not very many in Hawaii.

Most of us on the forum had a careers not just jobs,and our work provide meaning and a sense of accomplishment to our lives. Plenty of people say they'd be bored not working and I sort of understand that. That hasn't been my problem, but I do get the lack of accomplishment or purpose.

I have finally come to a few conclusions. Your best months or maybe years working will probably be better working than retirement. The sense of accomplishment when the project you work is successful and your peers and bosses pat you on the back and give you raise. You just do not get that in retirement. Recognition is really just something you get from a spouse or family. Now people who go on great adventures like Sarah,or become heavily involved in overseas volunteer work they may get that sense of accomplishment. I think for the rest of us not so much.

Volunteer work can help but it isn't quite the same. Partly because for the most part it is hard to find volunteer work that really is intellectually challenging. Of the 1/2 dozen volunteer jobs only couple have provide much intellectual stimulation. But even then nothing quite says, "Clif you did good" quite like bonus and/or a raise.

On the other hand, your worse month or year being retired is absolutely going to be much better than your worse month or year working. There is absolutely nothing I miss about worrying about layoffs, firing people, giving poor performance reviews, or ranking and rating sessions. Likewise I'll miss nothing about dragging myself into a 2 hour staff meeting, that is a waste of time or dealing with a bad boss. The feelings of stress and exhaustion are so minor in retirement that few times I've felt that way in retirement, simply recalling the bad months working brought a smile to my face and feeling "Damn I am lucky I am not working" I also don't miss being force to prioritize work over my own needs or my family. And I don't even have kids, I can't really imagine how bad it would if you had miss a big day in your kids life, cause the job demands you be out of town. When something goes wrong in the retirement it only effects you and your family, work failures impact lots of others.

So retirement for me has resulted in lower highs, but much highers lows, and on average I am happier.

Clif, that is just excellent. And yes, as someone who enjoys planning the adventures as much as executing them, I will never get that much of a thrill from my job.

It is interesting to see your words play out for DH, who is on what we are calling a sabbatical for the next year. He's never thought much about anything but the bad elements of his job and is now realizing he did he some satisfaction out of it. But your bolder statements are exactly what he feels, even after just a few weeks of being home.

Thank you for your clarity.

Interesting thread. I pretty much fall into the ReWahoo satisfied camp but like Clifp I am envious of people with a passion for their work or a personal pursuit. In a sense my love of reading is a touch of passion that may save me from falling prey to the emptiness some seem to experience. I have activities I enjoy (cycling, travel, volunteer stuff) but I also have a lot of down time. But I always have a book I am enjoying that I can reach for so I rarely feel bored or restless. When I am home I usually have two or three hardbacks from the library. If those happen to run out or on travel I have scores on a Nook e-reader. DW similarly likes reading but still gets bored and antsy more frequently than I do. She is looking for a rewarding pursuit that can fill the gap.

+1 donheff. I also am quite content to "waste" time with some hobbies and puttering around the house and reading. I have used retirement as an opportunity to play more golf and a by-product of that has been some new friends who also golf and we now socialize with.

The other satisfying thing is having time to be able to help friends and family out with different things like taking a single friend for his shoulder surgery and followup visits, helping BIL's family with deciding what to do with a VA policy they own, taking Mom and my aunts on a trip to California to see my ailing aunt and uncle and playing travel agent/chauffeur, etc.

I still have doing some volunteer work in the back of my mind as well.

I think it's normal, and a good thing, to feel a somewhat directionless after pulling the plug. Leaving w*rk is a lot like getting out of a relationship - you need to get away from it for a while, let go, and find your true direction unconstrained by that relationship. If you decide too quickly what to do with the rest of your life, you will likely decide to do something very similar to what you had been doing, which may or may not be the right thing.

In my early months of ER, I've been doing what needs to be done around the house, and with the rest of my time, doing whatever I feel like doing, whether it's riding my bike, doing some woodworking, or sitting in front of a computer. Sometimes I feel like socializing, but I'm also perfectly content being alone a lot of the time (introverts definitely have an advantage for ER in this respect). I suppose that in time I'll latch on to one thing for most of my free time, but maybe not. One thing that has made the transition easy for me was that I was feeling bored and unfulfilled at w*ork, so the satisfaction and sense of self worth that I get out of doing things in ER exceeds anything that I got while employed by MegaTechCorp.

Work was chock full of challenges and achievement, that steady income was nice indeed, and time helps forget much of the less desirable parts. I'll take retirement, boredom and blather any day, because I don't have to repress the things important to me. Now I can bother my kids, go for a drive, read something for pleasure, talk with my wife, or even study up and learn something new so I can get into another [-]debate[/-] friendly discusssion about health insurance.

It's not work vs retirement. It's work, then retirement. How fortunate we are to do both.

So often I see (or am asked to be a reference for) jobs that I could do in my sleep. I find myself saying "I want that job!!".

I end up asking myself: "what problem am I trying to solve?". I never have a good answer, so I go back out to the boat.

Then, I tell myself that just because I can do the job doesn't mean I HAVE TO DO that job. It's hard sometimes to separate the idea of being able to so something with actually doing it!

Life gets shorter every day...only do what you either really want to do, or need to do.

Thanks, clifp, for that excellent post.

I'm coming up on 3 years ER'd next week. For the most part, it is wonderful. I do have meaningful volunteer engagements that use some of the skills I built up during my career. But I periodically struggle with the idea that I did not accomplish all that I could have in my career, and also that my phone didn't ring once after I ER'd with someone begging me to go back to w*rk. Fortunately, it isn't something that spoils my day, just "stuff" that lurks in my mind at times.

I also think that I'm starting to forget just how bad the w*rk environment was the last 5 years. Maybe I should go back to reading Dilbert for a reminder...

I have a number of older friends who retired when they were able to comfortably, then started giving back either by working at a non-profit organization or through volunteer activity. This allowed them to keep contributing while doing something they loved. Each of them is wildly happier than they ever were before. You might want to think about things other than your professional career that you care about or that are meaningful to you and explore options that were not possible during your working years.

I am so much loving reading all of these posts. I think one of my 'issues' which has 2 sides,is, I am single. So I have the joy of doing whatever I want...whenever..BUT I am now realizing I am lonely, sometimes. I don't have that DH (or DW) that so many of these posts refer to. So no 'buddy' sitting right there,ready to share this new life. So I find myself looking for social groups of other people available during the day. And so far,so good. I've met so many new people. But i am almost on a mission to do that! And as I've said in other posts...my dog is thrilled. (as are my parents,whom I am helping with)...I am also thinking of moving...but where?? so many new ideas to ponder. I am still young and healthy..the whole world is out there..I will keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom