Hello from NoVa - 20 years to go and counting

DJRR

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello everyone.

I was mocked by the header that said I never posted and the bid pipeline at w*rk has dried up, so I have a lot of free time right now.

About Me:
42 years old (D) Married (J) two kids (RR) in No Va
Retirement Savings ~ $300k
Net Worth ~ $550k
Occupation - Financial type with MBA currently doing commercial bid work
Salary ~ low 6 figures + bonus, DW is home with the Kids and my MIL who stays with us 1/2 time
Currently Saving ~ 20% of salary
Investment allocation - 100% stocks

That's the basics. I currently use a mutual fund newsletter that is based on momentum that has earned me 24% compounded over the last 4 years helped by a timely 401k distribution (at the bottom) in 2003. Not to be mistaken for a genius, I lost quite a bit in 2000 - 2001 :duh:, but fortunately off a low base. Dollar cost averaging through that downturn in my 401k really made a big impact.

Original plan was to retire at 65 based on earning 8%/year with no further contributions, but as I have continued to contribute and earn more than 8% I have moved up 3 years so far. Hope to eventually cash out at 59 and maybe 55 if we work something out on healthcare.

Other interesting tidbits:
I am a Christian and have always given ~ 11% of my income to charities of my choice.
I love to travel and have been to ~ 17 countries. Did a lot of travel for my work (over 300k flight miles).
Pretty big Sci Fi and alternative history fan.
Went to the College of William & Mary and enjoy Williamsburg and things colonial.
Currently a big Disneyworld nut and go regularly with the family
Not too handy - DW keeps a redneck rolodex to keep the house maintained :)
Current PTA treasurer - I think I missed the meeting when I was elected. ;)
Big Yankees fan and SU basketball - grew up in Syracuse, not much to do in the snow but watch SU basketball

I can add more if I think of it. Hope to be able to participate and add something to the discussion. Looking forward to talking with you going forward.

_________
David

Welcome to the Boards

It sounds like you are well on your way to retirement. I notice that there is a difference between your retirement savings and net worth. Is this from home equity? I ask that since there are lots of opinions on how home equity should be treated and if a mortgage should be paid off. Also, since you are in NoVa, I will suggest that you can start rooting for the Hoyas.

Welcome

Welcome and it sounds like you have a good finacial start and a full life going!

Hopefully the market will be kind and you will get free sooner than you expect. The biggest step towards ER is a commitment and you got that!

Also, since you are in NoVa, I will suggest that you can start rooting for the Hoyas.

And I was hoping this was a friendly place :eek: I would rather cut off my right arm than root for the Hoyas >:D

I made an exception for the Redskins, but some things just go against nature :D

On your other question, the rest of my networth is assorted vehicles, college savings, home equity, etc. but I usually do not count it in my retirement plans. More of a plan B if things don't work out.

About Me:
42 years old (D) Married (J) two kids (RR) in No Va
Retirement Savings ~ $300k
Net Worth ~ $550k
Occupation - Financial type with MBA currently doing commercial bid work
Salary ~ low 6 figures + bonus, DW is home with the Kids and my MIL who stays with us 1/2 time
Currently Saving ~ 20% of salary
Investment allocation - 100% stocks

That's the basics. I currently use a mutual fund newsletter that is based on momentum that has earned me 24% compounded over the last 4 years helped by a timely 401k distribution (at the bottom) in 2003.

_________
David

Welcome David,

Not a bad start for 42. I've got a daughter that may also enter the financial field after college, assuming she can find a company that will hire a tall, blue-eyed, blond woman. ;) What was your W&M degree? Have you jumped around companies much?

Also, when I see a 24% annual return in this rising market, I smell a high potential for free-fall when it turns. Roughly listed, what asset allocation are you trying to maintain?

Welcome David,

Not a bad start for 42. I've got a daughter that may also enter the financial field after college, assuming she can find a company that will hire a tall, blue-eyed, blond woman. ;) What was your W&M degree? Have you jumped around companies much?

Also, when I see a 24% annual return in this rising market, I smell a high potential for free-fall when it turns. Roughly listed, what asset allocation are you trying to maintain?

My experience is that tall, blue-eyed, blond women make more money in sales than finance ;) but it is a good career if you like it.

W&M degree was in economics, I jumped around a lot before I got my MBA, but have only had two companies in the last 12 years.

My asset allocation is currently:

Large Cap Growth 22%
Large Cap Value 17%
Small Cap Growth 22%
Small Cap Value 17%
International 22%

I hold two of the best performing mutual funds in each category - so 10 funds total and replace them when they fall out of the top quartile for their category. It can be a little bumpy, but I don't worry about it too much. It has been very successful in the 6 years I have been doing it. For example I was up 12% in July then down $26k to about breakeven, but now back up another $29k ~ 15% for the year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom