Hello from SW Florida

Porkfat

Confused about dryer sheets
I "retired" at 56 and moved to SW Florida with my spouse about 1+ years ago. One son is grown. The difficulty is that my wife is 4 1/2 years older than me and she is ready to truly "retire" while I am looking for career number three. At the same time I do not want to work like I used to nor am I interested in again flying around the country or the world unless it is my vacation (and even then it is suspect!). Not sure where I am headed, but I definitely get confused about what my next steps ought to be. Any insights?

What does your wife want to do with her time? What interests you besides working? Do you need to work for financial reasons?

Welcome to the forum!

Actually, my wife continues to work in a consulting capacity. She is a nursing educator who became involved with online instruction over eight years ago. So she has the ability to work from anywhere, which has lead us to living on the coast of Florida. We live in a great place with easy access to the beach and our boat. I, on the other hand, sold our business interests and moved with few contacts and a continuing urge to do something fresh but without killing myself in the process. So...I have been doing volunteer work and teaching college courses as an adjunct professor (no money there). I still need a bit more financially oriented stimulation, but not sure exactly where I wish to go at this point. It is not so much about the money as FireCalc assures us we probably have enough to live to age 90 given our lifestyle and investments. Rather it is about having one more stab at the action without killing oneself. The bhuddists tell me to simply wait for the resolution to come to me - that is not the easiest for me.

I know what you mean about adjunct pay. :(

Do you have a SCORE chapter where you live? http://seniors-site.com/retiremt/score.html
I know a number of retired busienss owners who really enjoy working as business mentors through SCORE.

Otherwise, good luck on finding something you want to do.

Yes, I happen to be a Score counselor and am out the door soon to meet with a client. It will all come together.

Back
Top Bottom