Hello -- new member from Calgary, Canada

dsc

Confused about dryer sheets
Greetings all,

Just found the forum today -- interesting what I've read so far.

I've looked for it (but haven't found it) -- what does the abbreviation FIRE stand for?

A little more on myself (& how it relates to retiring early)..

Turning 36 this weekend.  Single man / never wanted to marry or have kids.

Have always been a saver / have 'long term vision' / I sock away a good half of what I earn

I'm getting into a 50yr+ established offshore fund with a trusted financial advisor.  I will be able to retire by age 45.  52 max should I wish to extend it.

Considering going expat down the line.  Looking at Ecuador, Panama, coastal Brazil, or Thailand.

I'll continue doing my time in the corporate world until that time...

dsc said:
I'm getting into a 50yr+ established offshore fund with a trusted financial advisor.  I will be able to retire by age 45.  52 max should I wish to extend it.
Hi dsc.

I don't know much about offshore funds and the like . . . what would your recourse be if the fund were to go belly up?

Not to rain on your parade dsc, but to follow up on riskaverse's point, your statement implies this offshore fund is a sure thing and will definitely enable your retirement in 9 years. Unless you are invesing in death or taxes, the certainty of your investment return has some risk, correct?

If not, please do the board a huge favor and let us know how we can invest. ;)

Before I say anything, I just thought I’d mention that I am NOT an agent for this offshore fund.  Should you decide to particpate, it doesn’t benefit me one iota. 

Also, before posting,  I did hesitate mentioning my personal situation (36 now, retire at 45, max 52) as that would qualify in most people’s books (the people in my social circle anyhow) as ‘too good to be true’ or a scam.

Hi dsc.

I don't know much about offshore funds and the like . . . what would your recourse be if the fund were to go belly up?

Actually this fund does have recourse.  You are given a bank note or GIC from the country it’s invested in for 110% of the amount you contributed.  I signed a NDA (non-disclosure agreement), so I can’t say what country it’s in.

I should say that I am not quite in yet.  I will be once I get one last tax form I am waiting for, file my taxes, & get my refund.  So in a few short months – May or June.

Not to rain on your parade dsc, but to follow up on riskaverse's point, your statement implies this offshore fund is a sure thing and will definitely enable your retirement in 9 years. Unless you are invesing in death or taxes, the certainty of your investment return has some risk, correct?

If not, please do the board a huge favor and let us know how we can invest.

Like I mention above, I partly hesitated mentioning all this as it’s extremely easy to be misunderstood & seen as someone who is just trying to hawk/spam their services.  On another blog I regularly visit I innocently mentioned my situation & asked for some simple advice – and I was consequently ripped to shreds!  So now I am even more cautious about who I talk to about this – even if it is a bunch of anonymous strangers in cyberspace..

What I would recommend is contacting the company directly.  They might be very busy this time of year.  Why?  Because there are 2 main aspects to their organzation: 
1.)  Tax compression (legal methods to save on your employment, business, dividend, capital, etc. income)   
2.) The offshore fund

So it’s tax time -- their company has grown leaps & bounds -- and that’s why they’re busy.  Send them a note anyhow & someone will get back to you when they can.

http://www.synergygroup2000.com/index.htm

Read the ‘Sample Solutions’ section -- fantastic…

NOTE: You will see this company is in Canada.  However, they have begun marketing to Americans & have a handful of US clients at this time.  Things work well there too.  As a matter of fact, from knowing them for years I know they’ve marketed their services to pro athletes in the US.  And you know what those guys make..

I first came across this company from an ad on a futures/commodities related website in Dec 2003.  I had a few days before the annual deadline to try their tax compression for the year.  I proceeded with 5,000 dollars.  I got a refund for something like 12,000 that year.  2004:  Went in for 10,000.  Saved about 15,500 in taxes from my employment earnings.  This year I went in for 20,000.  I should get 30,000 back in taxes this year.  I will use this refund & whatever else I can scratch together (home equity line of credit, some savings) to get in the offshore fund.  I will enter in with 60 or 70K.

As far as the tax compression, that’s what you can generally expect – about 1,500 in tax savings for every 1,000 contributed.  What about my first year? (5,000 to 12,000 in 2003?) I had some charitable donations that year that threw things ‘out of whack’ (to my favour ultimately).

From my lead, 3 personal friends & colleagues are taking advantage of the tax compression this year.  I’m sure they (like me) will continue to ‘go big’ once they in fact see that things work well.  If you have the ability & inkling to, you can reclaim back taxes for up to 3 years ago.  This is what I’m doing this year.  This company has my trust.  They’ve treated me well & they’ve earned it.  They’ve been extremely patient with my many questions.  They also know they have to earn people’s trust when it comes to dealing with their money…

I will look through my past emails from the last 3 yrs to post something with facts & figures which is both meaningful & appropriate about the offshore.  This will come in the next day or so. 

I just don’t want to go against the NDA I signed, say too much, PO the company, & be disallowed from the offshore. 

This way I wouldn’t be able to be FIRE at 45 (max 52) – I would have to work until age 65 like most.  29 more years in the workforce does not put a smile on my face….

dsc said:
Like I mention above, I partly hesitated mentioning all this as it’s extremely easy to be misunderstood & seen as someone who is just trying to hawk/spam their services. On another blog I regularly visit I innocently mentioned my situation & asked for some simple advice – and I was consequently ripped to shreds!

Some people seem to have no tolerance for being sold a load of crap. Imagine that!

dsc said:
I will look through my past emails from the last 3 yrs to post something with facts & figures which is both meaningful & appropriate about the offshore. This will come in the next day or so.

I just don’t want to go against the NDA I signed, say too much, PO the company, & be disallowed from the offshore.

Don't bother. As I guessed when I posted my invitation for you to share your mysterious offshore opportunity with us, it looks like the board is just getting spammed again. Why else would you risk being "disallowed from the offshore" by posting the link and all the associated bs you are layering on?

Do yourself a favor and go peddle your snake oil investment somewhere else.

I gave it a day to think about how I'd respond.

I considered challlenging & debunking each one of your little points.

I then came to realize that it (& especially you) would simply not be worth the effort.

I'll focus my time & energy elsewhere.

People -- notice what a small-minded, unintelligent & presumptuous twat REWahoo is.   And this person is a moderator for this board?

Onward & upward...

dsc

Sorry man, we sort of like him around here.

He keeps good tabs on what's happening and doesn't allow people to post BS.

Good Bye!

Is it time again to offer my line of Faith-Based Investments? (Give me your money and pray you get it back.) ::) Conceptualy endorsed by REAL [...real stupid...] PEOPLE, some HIGH IN GOVERNMENT!

A while ago, what was then Escape From America on-line magazine (now Escape Artist) was touting off-shore accounts and such. Just for fun, I read about it. Like The Brothers' money business in Costa Rica. It appeared to me that this industry was taking advantage of people's natural greed (hey! I'm human, too!) by offering unrealistic high rates of return in <secret!> investments, that did not report to governments. The Brothers got busted eventually and a lot of retirees in Costa Rica went broke.

Maybe there are good deals like that. Maybe not. But why should someone want to let me in on it? No Secret Investments for me. I don't believe in hedge funds, either. There are too many con games in Canada: BRE-EX, Solvex, the Vancouver penny stock exchange (remember their infomercials on the radio in Seattle?)--all gone now--with a lot of suckers' money. TANSTAAFL, baby!

If dsc is for real, he is going to be sorry one day, but I think he's a con. The long post from a first-time poster touting something smells bad.

Get-Rich-Slow Ed,
also in Calgary, and tired of being hustled.

First impression: "The Synergy Group"? They don't merely employ vacuous BS buzzwords, they named their company after one.

Bpp

I really think we should allow these guys to start thinking they hit the motherload before chasing them off.  We hardly even got a good sales pitch out of this one.  I especially like the phrase of "contributing" to the company to obtain tax savings. 

As long as members of this Board do not put the rest of Calgarians... Albertans, Canadians, etc. into the same bucket, I'd suggest the Board let dsc continue to embarass himself. There is entertainment value in 'some' of this, some of the time. At least dsc is single and he won't take his family down with the ship.

SynergyGroup2000

I invested $23,000 with this company in 2005 and have had my business loss denied by the CRA Enforcement Division unless SynergyGroup can prove my losses. To date I there has been little communication and still no refund cheque from my business investment losses purchased with my $23,000. I would strongly steer away from any investment with this company.

Before I say anything, I just thought I’d mention that I am NOT an agent for this offshore fund.* Should you decide to particpate, it doesn’t benefit me one iota.*

Also, before posting,* I did hesitate mentioning my personal situation (36 now, retire at 45, max 52) as that would qualify in most people’s books (the people in my social circle anyhow) as ‘too good to be true’ or a scam.

Actually this fund does have recourse.* You are given a bank note or GIC from the country it’s invested in for 110% of the amount you contributed.* I signed a NDA (non-disclosure agreement), so I can’t say what country it’s in.

I should say that I am not quite in yet.* I will be once I get one last tax form I am waiting for, file my taxes, & get my refund.* So in a few short months – May or June.

Like I mention above, I partly hesitated mentioning all this as it’s extremely easy to be misunderstood & seen as someone who is just trying to hawk/spam their services.* On another blog I regularly visit I innocently mentioned my situation & asked for some simple advice – and I was consequently ripped to shreds!* So now I am even more cautious about who I talk to about this – even if it is a bunch of anonymous strangers in cyberspace..

What I would recommend is contacting the company directly.* They might be very busy this time of year.* Why?* Because there are 2 main aspects to their organzation:*
1.)* Tax compression (legal methods to save on your employment, business, dividend, capital, etc. income)* *
2.) The offshore fund

So it’s tax time -- their company has grown leaps & bounds -- and that’s why they’re busy.* Send them a note anyhow & someone will get back to you when they can.

http://www.synergygroup2000.com/index.htm

Read the ‘Sample Solutions’ section -- fantastic…

NOTE: You will see this company is in Canada.* However, they have begun marketing to Americans & have a handful of US clients at this time.* Things work well there too.* As a matter of fact, from knowing them for years I know they’ve marketed their services to pro athletes in the US.* And you know what those guys make..

I first came across this company from an ad on a futures/commodities related website in Dec 2003.* I had a few days before the annual deadline to try their tax compression for the year.* I proceeded with 5,000 dollars.* I got a refund for something like 12,000 that year.* 2004:* Went in for 10,000.* Saved about 15,500 in taxes from my employment earnings.* This year I went in for 20,000.* I should get 30,000 back in taxes this year.* I will use this refund & whatever else I can scratch together (home equity line of credit, some savings) to get in the offshore fund.* I will enter in with 60 or 70K.

As far as the tax compression, that’s what you can generally expect – about 1,500 in tax savings for every 1,000 contributed.* What about my first year? (5,000 to 12,000 in 2003?) I had some charitable donations that year that threw things ‘out of whack’ (to my favour ultimately).

From my lead, 3 personal friends & colleagues are taking advantage of the tax compression this year.* I’m sure they (like me) will continue to ‘go big’ once they in fact see that things work well.* If you have the ability & inkling to, you can reclaim back taxes for up to 3 years ago.* This is what I’m doing this year.* This company has my trust.* They’ve treated me well & they’ve earned it.* They’ve been extremely patient with my many questions.* They also know they have to earn people’s trust when it comes to dealing with their money…

I will look through my past emails from the last 3 yrs to post something with facts & figures which is both meaningful & appropriate about the offshore.* This will come in the next day or so.*

I just don’t want to go against the NDA I signed, say too much, PO the company, & be disallowed from the offshore.*

This way I wouldn’t be able to be FIRE at 45 (max 52) – I would have to work until age 65 like most.* 29 more years in the workforce does not put a smile on my face….

Back
Top Bottom