Hi, I am... getting close

prudent_one

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm a few years away from the official retirement age but if fortune smiles I might be able to step away a little sooner than that. I've always been interested in investments (even as a teen) and have read way too many books on the subject. Still do. Was lucky enough to make my investment mistake very early when the tuition didn't cost me very much - I bought a pink sheet stock from a boiler room operator who cold-called me! He promised me it would go way up but somehow it didn't turn out that way.

My personal investment style has always been overly conservative, having grown up poor. But it's not ridiculously so - 50%/35%/15%. Could have done better over the years being more aggressive, but that's history now.

I'm a fan of the low-cost index fund / asset allocation / rebalancing methodology.

Currently I spend time beating many different retirement calculators to a pulp :) evaluating our situation and waiting for the light to turn green, so to speak.

Welcome! Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folk around here so don't hesitate to ask questions. Hope you see you on a "Class of 201x" list soon!

When reading your post I thought I was reading my bio, having lost everything on my first stock buy when I was 24.
I also was introduced to the fine art of boiler room pump and dump. Luckily it was during my mid thirties so I could recover.
Started working at 14 on a tobacco farm in CT so I could buy my first car for $50.
LBYM and investing in the greatest country in the universe is allowing me the FI to retire at the drop of a pin.
Good luck to you, and your plan.

Class of 2015. (June 17)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Welcome Prudent One.

I can relate to the retirement calculator obsession. I used/abused them a lot as I got closer. It gave me the confidence to pull the plug about 6 weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom