Hi! I am Greg

Brett_Cameron

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am 55 years old and am retiring early as of August 1, 2011.
I have 4 children, two are grown and I have two at home (aged 7 and 14). As you can guess the latter two are from my second and final marriage.

I have been blessed with a career with a single company for 29.5 years. The retirement benefits include a pension, 401k, and retiree health care, dental and vision.

It is good to find this forum. Many of the discussions here concern things I have researched over the last few years and the solutions to those issues are the same as I have concluded.

There are new aspects of things I have not considered and some information that was previously unknown.

I look forward to continuing participation in the forum.

Welcome. What a wonderful position to be in to be able to spend so much time with your youngest kids.

Yes, all around I have found that I am much more relaxed with these second two and look forward to raising them at a time of my life not dedicated to so many hours of work.

Welcome, Greg! It sounds like life is just getting better for you :).

I have just added you to the "Class of 2011" ER list that appears in the "Life After ER" board. Good to have you join us!

Congratulations and welcome! Lots of great people and information here. Look forward to your contributions!

Welcome and congratulations Greg. Sounds like everything is getting off on the right foot. Word of caution. As the saying goes, "Been there done that". Check all the fine print of any paper work you might have about your pension and health care benefits. When I retired from megacorp, I thought I had health care benefits for life as I was told. However, fine print says megacorp can change the health benefits any time they deem necessary. They said it was necessary and eliminated my health care benefits after 34 years of service and 20 years into retirement. I was in management and not protected by any labor contract. Pension is different. Mine is a defined benefit pension and is guaranteed by the federal government (see fine print again).

Hope all goes well for you in your retirement.

Welcome and congratulations Greg. Sounds like everything is getting off on the right foot. Word of caution. As the saying goes, "Been there done that". Check all the fine print of any paper work you might have about your pension and health care benefits. When I retired from megacorp, I thought I had health care benefits for life as I was told. However, fine print says megacorp can change the health benefits any time they deem necessary. They said it was necessary and eliminated my health care benefits after 34 years of service and 20 years into retirement. I was in management and not protected by any labor contract. Pension is different. Mine is a defined benefit pension and is guaranteed by the federal government (see fine print again).

Hope all goes well for you in your retirement.

Thanks! Yes, the retiree health care is not guaranteed. That is a risk along with pension, 401k, social security. Failure of any one would cause problems. I will plan accordingly.

12 working days until I get FIRE'd. I think I will be antsy until it happens. It is good to read the post-retirement blogs on how mindset changes after retirement.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Greg. One more thing to check on the health insurance front - my retiree medical will not cover dependents. If you don't already have insurance for the two younger ones, make sure to put them on COBRA until you figure it out so they have continued coverage. FYI, while the new healthcare law provision for covering children 21-26 is great if you are employed, the provision eliminating pre-existing condition restrictions for children under 18 makes it very hard to insure children on individual policies (without at least one parent covered).

Congratulations, Greg. One more thing to check on the health insurance front - my retiree medical will not cover dependents. If you don't already have insurance for the two younger ones, make sure to put them on COBRA until you figure it out so they have continued coverage. FYI, while the new healthcare law provision for covering children 21-26 is great if you are employed, the provision eliminating pre-existing condition restrictions for children under 18 makes it very hard to insure children on individual policies (without at least one parent covered).
My retiree healthcare covers dependents as well. That was the first thing I confirmed in my steps toward FIRE. :)

Last edited:
Today I will go check out. It is surreal and has not sunk in yet. After 35 years of continual employment, I will not have a j*b. On the bright side, I will have no need for one.

Thanks! As I mentioned elsewhere, when I got home I had my first pension direct deposit notification in the mail box. I love it when a plan comes together!

Back
Top Bottom