Hi I am ... my screen name

crxpanda

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi. I am a Jacqueline of all Trades. If I put my mind to it, I accomplish.

I have worked many jobs, including auto mechanic, since 1986.
That being said, for the past fifteen years I have been in a retail job. Five, four, and three years ago I attempted early retirement, all to be talked into "staying until ____ (fill in random workplace reason)". This year they flat out told me I'm not 55 and can't grant me retirement.
Their rules changed a few years ago. Now you must be at least 55 with 5 years of service to retire.
..so if I was 50 and worked 5 years I could, but since I was 32 when I was hired, I can't until age 55?!? (>.o) .
I therefore gave them a verbal resignation with a two weeks notice. My vacation was the second week of the two weeks.

My last day was supposed to be April 18.

It is now May 31, I gave them another "Final" day of June 12.

See, they lost almost all of the store staffng during my vacation week and asked me to help until they got staffed again. I felt sorry for them and agreed, but they still have only hired one person when they need five more (actually there were two hires, but one quit within a week).

I opened my own online business seven years ago. Plus, I do odd jobs and drive for Uber when I want.

I wanted to retire to enjoy retirement (camping and outdoor activities) before my body (and all those lovely auto-mechanic injuries) render me unable to.

I discovered this forum after reading one from a search, regarding an employer hanging onto you (like a crazy ex) after you quit.

LOL
Panda (This is the name I answer to)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Panda! Sounds like an bad employment situation.

If you already quit/given notice twice (?), why do you keep going back? What are you getting out of it other than pay?

Welcome Panda.

When I retired - HR treated it as if I'd quit... same difference to them since there were not retirement benefits to administer...

Sorry your soon to be ex-employer is having trouble letting you go. Be firm in your date and do not show up past your date. What are they going to do... fire you? LOL.

Welcome Panda.

When I retired - HR treated it as if I'd quit... same difference to them since there were not retirement benefits to administer...

Sorry your soon to be ex-employer is having trouble letting you go. Be firm in your date and do not show up past your date. What are they going to do... fire you? LOL.

+1

and welcome to the board, Panda

Welcome to the forum Panda! Sounds like an bad employment situation.

If you already quit/given notice twice (?), why do you keep going back? What are you getting out of it other than pay?
Yes, I don't get this. The post reads to me like someone is saying "It really hurts when I hit my hand with this hammer!" - well then don't do that. It seems so simple. What am I missing?

Wait, is this it? Am I supposed to say "Oh my, that must be... very hard." :facepalm:

-ERD50

+1... technically my "retirement" was a resignation since I did not have the combination of age and years of service to have qualified for retirement benefits even though I was 56 .... I would have had work for another 6+ years to have had a sufficient combination of age and years of service to qualify for retirement benefits... and that was NOT happening.

Welcome crxpanda! You may need to just walk out the door on June 12th and never go back.... they'll figure it out after a few days.

Yes, I don't get this. The post reads to me like someone is saying "It really hurts when I hit my hand with this hammer!" - well then don't do that. It seems so simple. What am I missing?

Wait, is this it? Am I supposed to say "Oh my, that must be... very hard." :facepalm:

-ERD50

I quit The Corporation, but the immediate group in the store won't let go. I searched google for "employer wont let go" -- or something like that, and read a post about a person a year later who was still getting emails from an employer to help with this and that. I then ventured into this forum to see what other offerings it held and decided to join. The post above was an introduction to me, what brought me here, and why I'm choosing early retirement.

Not complaining, just introducing the story. :)
Just wait 'til I start posting my comic con pics lol. ;-)

I quit The Corporation, but the immediate group in the store won't let go. I searched google for "employer wont let go" -- or something like that, and read a post about a person a year later who was still getting emails from an employer to help with this and that. ...
I do not understand.

Don't you have a contract - 2 weeks, 4 weeks notice or something? If you don't give notice, the contract says they can hold back x,y,z.

But what does the "won't let go" mean? Is slavery legal in the jurisdiction where you work?

If work had called me a year later and wanted help with something, I probably would have gone in if it was a few hours, but really just to help my former co-workers out and make their life easier, and catch up over coffee, or drinks after.

But if they wanted me to do actual on-going work - I'd be talking a contract and $x00/hour rates, and I would no longer really be "retired" (not that there's anything wrong with that choice, but words have meaning).

-ERD50

I'm thankful that MegaCorp decided to can all experienced employees 55 years + and that they paid us 5 weeks vacation, severance pay for a year, supplemental pay until age 62 and ability to draw unemployment for almost a year. Then, we took retirement where we could "buy" into their healthcare until age 65.

And I'm thankful they gave us 1 day's notice, as 36 1/2 years' service was enough.

I do not understand.

Don't you have a contract - 2 weeks, 4 weeks notice or something? If you don't give notice, the contract says they can hold back x,y,z.

But what does the "won't let go" mean? Is slavery legal in the jurisdiction where you work?

If work had called me a year later and wanted help with something, I probably would have gone in if it was a few hours, but really just to help my former co-workers out and make their life easier, and catch up over coffee, or drinks after.

But if they wanted me to do actual on-going work - I'd be talking a contract and $x00/hour rates, and I would no longer really be "retired" (not that there's anything wrong with that choice, but words have meaning).

-ERD50

It's a retail corporation. I've managed (sub manager not Store Manager) in a local store for 15 years. Plus, it's a small town and I live here.

The "wont let go" is just as I said in my intro. Like that ex that just wont let you go: sad eyes, emotional 'whys'. Heartstring manipulating stuff.

My online freelance business is local as well, so my exit can't be a drama. Small town drama carries on and I don't want to be the "one who...blah blah". The ones who quit went on to other stores, jobs...so they aren't rooted in the community. Which is/was my rock and hard place issue.

To add, I would love to charge them for my freelance services, but close minded corporate entities don't support out of 'big'box thinking. ;-) No, it is not WALly World not Targét. Lol

Last edited:
+1... technically my "retirement" was a resignation since I did not have the combination of age and years of service to have qualified for retirement benefits even though I was 56 .... I would have had work for another 6+ years to have had a sufficient combination of age and years of service to qualify for retirement benefits... and that was NOT happening.

Welcome crxpanda! You may need to just walk out the door on June 12th and never go back.... they'll figure it out after a few days.

Yes, I will this time. Your story is very similar to mine. I'm not working 8 more years to get a "status". I don't even have any monetary benefits with them. My IRA and Stocks are from companies I worked prior to 2002.

You might use some reverse psychology on them. Say "Since you think I'm irreplaceable - double my salary and I'll stay another year." That ought to get them off the dime - of course, if they take you up on it, you might have to stay a year!

My mom ran a small family business for a long time. A guy showed up, asking for a j*b and mom said "we don't have anything." The guy came in the next day and started w*rking! Mom let him stay for over a year and even rented him a house. So I guess your situation may not be as crazy as I first thought.

Good luck.

My opinion is that an employer won't take a good employee's leaving seriously until they set a date and actually stick to it . To me it's cut and dry if one really wants to quit their job and can. I set a date and stuck to it. I had no problems. I never went back, and I am sure after a year they have figured out I never will.

My opinion is that an employer won't take a good employee's leaving seriously until they set a date and actually stick to it . To me it's cut and dry if one really wants to quit their job and can. I set a date and stuck to it. I had no problems. I never went back, and I am sure after a year they have figured out I never will.
Your screen name is wonderful. ;-)
I remind them daily of the Jun 12 date, as well as some of my local regulars.

Your screen name is wonderful. ;-)
I remind them daily of the Jun 12 date, as well as some of my local regulars.

But you said:

... Five, four, and three years ago I attempted early retirement, all to be talked into "staying until ____

and...

My last day was supposed to be April 18.
It is now May 31, I gave them another "Final" day of June 12

Why should they think you mean it this time? Sounds like they've been right at least four times before. I bet there's a nail in this story somewhere ;)

-ERD50

Crxpanda - You sound like a very conscientious, dependable person who doesn't like to leave anyone in the lurch.

Everyone who works on our cars - or our taxes, or sore knees, or anything else for that matter - should be like you.

So your employer probably can't find anyone with the same traits and skills. So then, see Koolau's advice, above :)

Welcome and good luck!

Amethyst

But you said:

Why should they think you mean it this time? Sounds like they've been right at least four times before. I bet there's a nail in this story somewhere ;)

-ERD50
Haha, yeah, a nail...in my coffin. I'm just a soft hearted soul, I guess.

You might use some reverse psychology on them. Say "Since you think I'm irreplaceable - double my salary and I'll stay another year." That ought to get them off the dime - of course, if they take you up on it, you might have to stay a year!

My mom ran a small family business for a long time. A guy showed up, asking for a j*b and mom said "we don't have anything." The guy came in the next day and started w*rking! Mom let him stay for over a year and even rented him a house. So I guess your situation may not be as crazy as I first thought.

Good luck.
One of the guys who quit did that... the corporate DM rolled eyes and said "bye". I'm not a d**k like that. I know they don't pay much as it is, plus I hurt a lot and really want to get out and enjoy life before I have to deal with whatever is wrong. Many have claimed workman's comp and end up married to the place. I don't want that life.
I started a little online freelance business. Hubby has a good job/benefits. After being on this site a few days I've read stories similar to mine. It has given me the confidence to go, not look back, stop feeling sorry.
One member said, "failure to properly plan on your part does not constitute a crisis on my part."-- this has helped when I start feeling bad for their situation.

One member said, "failure to properly plan on your part does not constitute a crisis on my part."-- this has helped when I start feeling bad for their situation.

You GO girl! :flowers::greetings10::cool:

One of the guys who quit did that... the corporate DM rolled eyes and said "bye". I'm not a d**k like that. ...

This is what I don't get. How is that guy being a d**k? He wants to leave the company, he gives his notice according to the mutually agreed upon contract terms, and life goes on.

If the company expects him to go above & beyond what they put in the mutually agreed upon contract terms, they are the ones being a d**k, IMO. Either party can ask for something more or less that is outside those terms, no harm in that, but either party can also say "no way" to the request. No harm, no foul.

-ERD50

She wants to leave on good terms with no drama like she said so there is no "payback" on her side job.

She wants to leave on good terms with no drama like she said so there is no "payback" on her side job.
Yes RobbieB. Plus that other manager did do them a d**k move because he knew my date was 4-18 and he pulled the "gimme more $ or I'm not showing up for my shift tonight". District Mgr told him extortion is not tolerated and ... goodbye, then told the store manager to deal with it, so they called me crying. Now you know the rest of the story.

ps. the manager did not have something else lined up. He's still unemployed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom