How early is "early" on this forum?

I believe there was a play on words there somewhere. Maybe that is why rich was not capitalized. If you are RICH, imho, you can fill in the place.

In my thinking, I'm only defining work as it coinsides with reitrement. Someone who never did something conistently for a long period of time cannot then be retired from it.

I'm reminded of the great ad-lib line of Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark: "It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

I retired at 38 after 15 years as an Investment Banker on Wall Street and I certainly felt my short career measured in "mileage" was the equivalent to 30 years.

No rush, but I'm kind of interested starting something the kids can get involved in that will teach them the value of hard work-- I worry a little about what the kids think about seeing me retired and not doing much. I remind them that I was able to do this because I worked my butt off in the car business for almost 20 years and saved much of what I earned, but you know, monkey see--monkey do.
I think that kids don't care about your work ethic. They just want to know how much time you can spend with them. They also want you to give them money and drive them to the mall, but that's more negotiable.

When Jarhead ER'd back in the 1980s, his daughter was a teen so he worried about the same work-ethic impression. For the next few years until she graduated high school he kept up the fiction of work-- he'd show up at breakfast in work clothes, "leave for work" in his car, and sneak back home after she'd left for school.

Years later he confessed the subterfuge. She thought it was pretty funny. She said that she was too busy with teen drama/angst to notice that he wasn't working, and even if she'd noticed she wouldn't have have been able to care what his lack of employment could possibly have to do with her important teen life issues.

Teens don't form their entire work ethic based on just your example. (The "Nature or Nurture?" author says that about all parents can do is influence who a kid's friends & mentors are.) Teens have plenty of other examples all around them-- their teachers & coaches, their co-workers/bosses at their part-time jobs, the celebrities they see in the media.

I tell our kid that work was fun until it conflicted with family. I tell her that I don't mind working as long as it doesn't have the hassles of commuting, uniforms, meetings, and other bureaucracy. I tell her that a good work ethic will help her save even more money and help her achieve FI even sooner so that she can make her own ER decision. She's seen us work plenty hard around the house and on the book (to say nothing of parenting), so she can understand the concepts of employment and a good hard work ethic even when they're separate.

Usually when we were in the middle of some ugly, messy, sweaty, dirty home-improvement (or landlording) project I'd pause for a moment, look at her, and say "Kids, stay in school." She'd roll her eyes and say "Yeah, thanks Dad, how'd that work out for you?" But she understands.

You know, just retiring at all seems to be a goal that most of the public won't reach. So, ANY retirement could be considered ER.
I'm shooting for 56, but that may slip to 60 when I get my full pension, unreduced by ER penalties.

When Jarhead ER'd back in the 1980s, his daughter was a teen so he worried about the same work-ethic impression. For the next few years until she graduated high school he kept up the fiction of work-- he'd show up at breakfast in work clothes, "leave for work" in his car, and sneak back home after she'd left for school.

Wow! That's crazy! Thanks for sharing that Nords.

Teens don't form their entire work ethic based on just your example. (The "Nature or Nurture?" author says that about all parents can do is influence who a kid's friends & mentors are.) Teens have plenty of other examples all around them-- their teachers & coaches, their co-workers/bosses at their part-time jobs, the celebrities they see in the media.

Good points. So it's not all about me? :blush:

Usually when we were in the middle of some ugly, messy, sweaty, dirty home-improvement (or landlording) project I'd pause for a moment, look at her, and say "Kids, stay in school." She'd roll her eyes and say "Yeah, thanks Dad, how'd that work out for you?" But she understands.

Yeah, I use that one whenever I get the chance. In fact, I just used it this morning when my teenage son and I were out mowing our crazy huge lawn in the 106 degree heat index Texas weather. We were both frying out there so we took a break to drink some water under a tree. Some yard service crew across the street was working like crazy, and I told him that those crews ususlly do about 6 big yards per day, every day, from what a buddy of mine told me. I asked him if he wanted to do something like that for a living, and when he said no I told him to do well in school and get a good degree (accounting is my recommendation) and he wont have to mow yards for a living if he doesnt want to.

I don't get it. What does being in Florida have to do with anything being easy, apart from not having to shovel snow? It is difficult to imagine a more horrible climate, at least for six or seven months of the year: bugs galore, stifling and oppresive heat and humidity, being trapped indoors, evacuating for hurricanes. If I lived in Florida, I would be planning my escape, as if from a prison, ASAP. Please explain.

I know I'm open to ridicule, but I completely agree with you.

My DW/me were (well I was) stationed in Florida (Eglin AFB) for a bit over 18 months in the early 70's.

We hated the weather (we hated a lot more, but weather was our primary gripe; you can ask my DW about the bugs and her constant "battle" with them).

Needless to say, we live/retired in the Mid-Atlantic states, and have no desire to move to Florida (as many I know/w*rked with did).

And yes, we were evacuated due to a pending hurricane (that never arrived, and cost me a buch of $$$ to flee the area).

You can always add/layer clothes; you can’t take them all off.

Different strokes...

Early retirement is subjective.

E.g., someone who long planned to work until age 70 but through a combination of LBYM and savings manages to retire at age 68 has achieved ER, at least IMO.

There are people who stop regular employment at a young age and survive at a subsistence level, sometimes supported by their spouse's income, part-time employment, childcare benefits, book royalties, etc. To my mind, such people are not genuinely retired; but if they want to call themselves retired, that's their perogative.

I would really prefer that most people worked until they were old enough to get the AARP blurb and carry the card.
Well, we all have our preferences. But I'm certainly glad you aren't calling the shots on my life.

Legend has it that the late Ted Kennedy was once told by a factory worker: "Senator, I hear you never worked a day in your life, and this is what a lot of people have against you. I want to tell you, you haven't missed a thing". While I am not personally a fan of Mr. Kennedy, I don't disagree with that remark.

In fact it may simply be the use of the word "retirement". I think in my mind, you cannot use the word "retirement" unless you actually worked for a period of time to retire from. Early retirement in my mind is forced retirement.
something to be "retired from".

Its NOT LOGICAL, its my opinion, based on my upbringing. If someone stops working before the required numer of years, in my opinion, that is their right to do so in our society. But in my opinion, its not thier right to call that stoppage retirement, if they only did it a short period of time.

BUt if I recall correctly it doesn't matter if someone works for 45 years, if it's not in a job you find prestigious enough then it's not a career and you can't retire from it anyway. It's beginning to sound as if only you and a couple of the doctors on the forum are actually able to retire, and only then if they work for 30 years or more after med school. The rest of us are underpaid migrant workers who have merely quit working in order to leech off of society, and the fact that we worked and planned to reach our goals make no difference. You might want to start a forum for HsiaoChu Approved Early Retirees. :greetings10:

BUt if I recall correctly it doesn't matter if someone works for 45 years, if it's not in a job you find prestigious enough then it's not a career and you can't retire from it anyway. It's beginning to sound as if only you and a couple of the doctors on the forum are actually able to retire, and only then if they work for 30 years or more after med school. The rest of us are underpaid migrant workers who have merely quit working in order to leech off of society, and the fact that we worked and planned to reach our goals make no difference. You might want to start a forum for HsiaoChu Approved Early Retirees. :greetings10:

You're nit-picking. Its just an opinion, dude. Its not an edict or demand or anything other than a personal opinion that some people share and some people don't. I have a right to my opinion; whether its logical or appropriate in others eyes is irrelevant.

I am shooting for ESR at 55, unless Obamacare give me affordable insurance. Now I just have to make sure the financial aspects line up with that goal :whistle:

This is actually an interesting philosophical issue. And I could see their being different views on it. I think the vast majority of people who are here think that early retirement is fine. But...what does that mean?

We all make our own definitions and set our own limits, but unless we are mega-rich or well into the normal retirement age age range, the rest of the world makes up its own mind on the matter.

Here's what the English language says about it:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/index.htm

redundancy definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

...About retiring early, if one gets to retirement at all, it is good. I myself have seen so many coworkers dropping dead while working, some even AT WORK. :p

Ugh, how sad.....:nonono:

That is sad but true. That is why its called making a dying!

My friends and I were used to it. Whenever we saw an ambulance pulling into the campus with lights flashing - this was a place with a few thousand employees, many in their 50s and 60s - we looked at each other and said, "there's another guy that gets out of here feet first". And that was the truth.

Great song and highly appropriate for the thread too!

I'll be retiring 12/1/10 at age 58 with 35 years service at my job (regional electric utility company)... looking forward to it very much!

If I wanted dryer sheets wouldn't I just set the timer longer?

I'll be retiring 12/1/10 at age 58 with 35 years service at my job (regional electric utility company)... looking forward to it very much!

If I wanted dryer sheets wouldn't I just set the timer longer?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sounds like it could be a very old joke but I've never heard it before. Welcome to the forum, Sportster. :greetings10: Be sure to give us the weekly details of your adventures toward retiring in only three+ months. Do you have a number of days countdown?

Here's someone who definitely hasn't figured out ER:

Hazel McCallion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe she doesn't think politics is a "job"!
Politicians seem to be a special breed in terms of discouraging retirement under the age of about 75. And often beyond -- even *way* beyond.

I think the power is addicting and they don't know how to accept giving it up. I don't think money or the lack of being FI has anything to do with it.

I think the power is addicting...
So what's their motivation to retire?

Both of Hawaii's senators are in their 80s. Dan Inouye has been in the Senate longer than I've been alive...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sounds like it could be a very old joke but I've never heard it before. Welcome to the forum, Sportster. :greetings10: Be sure to give us the weekly details of your adventures toward retiring in only three+ months. Do you have a number of days countdown?

Yea Joe... 100 days!! :D :D

Are you trying to tell us you really aren't "confused about dryer sheets". :cool:

Just being corny... :angel: :angel:

It looks like he got it all figured out. See his post below.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks everyone... :greetings10: :greetings10:

Everyone is allowed to define these things as they see fit. To me, retiring should be done by 40, therefore 30 would be early. Though my definition of retirement is probably far different than most. I like the first part of this statement, the rest seems kind of goofy

IMO, rtiring in your thirties is just moving to a less stressful job, and it might put you on the outs with all your friends who are still working, so essentially you move away and get a new kind of job.

Back
Top Bottom