New FI candidate RE is desired might need Part Time

Right on :flowers:
Help yourself and help society paying a bit more taxes :dance:
Please help by paying MY fair share!:LOL:

Of course, I was totally serious. Every chance one gets to "Roth" I believe they should probably do it (I'm sure there are exceptions.)

Keep in mind that if one is making $15K at driving a school bus - the taxes will be (wait for it) virtually zero. YMMV

Need some help, please, looking into fixed incone scenario for the next 10 years income in taxable account.
I am interested getting 20k/year fixed income and was looking into TIPS/Treasuries.CD or mix of these ladder.
There is a great TIPS calculator I was pointed to, allowing to build TIPS ladder:
https://www.tipsladder.com/
However I don't see any similiar one to build 10 years using T-Bill/T-Notes/T-Bonds one.
Can anyone point me to a user friendly Treasuries Ladder calculator please?
What would you choose being in my situation for next 10 years fixed incone with low risk?

Some intetesting points posted at https://smartasset.com/retirement/treasury-bonds-vs-tips-ladder-vs-annuities:

Using a hypothetical 20-year retirement – the approximate remaining life expectancy of a 65-year-old woman – Rekenthaler assessed how each strategy would perform under different rates of long-term inflation. To do this, he calculated the growth of $100,000 invested evenly in each strategy over a 20-year period.

Under moderate annual inflation (2.4%), he found that Treasury bonds would generate nearly $127,000 after 20 years while the TIPS ladder would deliver almost $118,000. Annuities, however, would only generate approximately $113,500.

If inflation averaged 5% per year over the 20-year period, the TIPS ladder strategy would outperform Treasury bonds and annuities by 29% and 32%, respectively. Meanwhile, if inflation hovered at just 1% per year during that time, Rekenthaler found that Treasury bonds would generate $155,000 – significantly more than an annuity or TIPS ladder strategy."

Last edited:
What is your ROI for the rental? Would you be better off to sell it and invest the proceeds, plus lose the landlord chores?

What is your ROI for the rental? Would you be better off to sell it and invest the proceeds, plus lose the landlord chores?

Currently have long term established responsible tenants.
Roughly the equivalent of 6% yield annually from the rental.
Wanted to keep the rental as possible option for future, as it was purchased around 2012 when the market was down and have a very low base property tax rate.

Currently have long term established responsible tenants.
Roughly the equivalent of 6% yield annually from the rental.
Wanted to keep the rental as possible option for future, as it was purchased around 2012 when the market was down and have a very low base property tax rate.

I'm in no position to offer suggestions, but 6% seems pretty low right now - especially for the risk that rentals carry - but YMMV.

I'm in no position to offer suggestions, but 6% seems pretty low right now - especially for the risk that rentals carry - but YMMV.

Thanks, it is just rough assessment, the depreciation makes it higher number, plus it is being served as a nice inflation hedge, our area allows rent increase of annual 5%+ CPI .

Actually, I can think of few jobs that would be more stressful to me than school bus driver!
I definitely agree! One of my long-time renters (>20 years) had a minor fender-bender with her bus, but it disabled a young child. A few days later, she had a heart attack that killed her, at age 59. You might want to work elsewhere.

I definitely agree! One of my long-time renters (>20 years) had a minor fender-bender with her bus, but it disabled a young child. A few days later, she had a heart attack that killed her, at age 59. You might want to work elsewhere.

BFF (recently deceased) drove school bus for several years. It was decent money but it was horrible. He started out in a 14 passenger van and had one kid who would not behave. BFF's only option was to stop the bus. Call for a supervisor to come take the kid home and THEN resume his route (with outraged parents waiting on him.)

It was somewhat better in the larger bus because he had no "problem" children (just the occasional out-of-sorts-jerk of a kid.) But the same rules applied.

Heh, heh, my dad, all 5'6''/130 lbs of him and disabled would have dealt with the bad kid and would have either been fired or would have never had to deal with the problem again.

BFF (recently deceased) drove school bus for several years. It was decent money but it was horrible. He started out in a 14 passenger van and had one kid who would not behave. BFF's only option was to stop the bus. Call for a supervisor to come take the kid home and THEN resume his route (with outraged parents waiting on him.)

It was somewhat better in the larger bus because he had no "problem" children (just the occasional out-of-sorts-jerk of a kid.) But the same rules applied.

Heh, heh, my dad, all 5'6''/130 lbs of him and disabled would have dealt with the bad kid and would have either been fired or would have never had to deal with the problem again.

Thanks for sharing, updating my part time job list :wiseone:

Back
Top Bottom