I am Felix and recently retired

Felix Mulier

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello to the group,
I retired a little over a year ago at age 56. I had a 26 year career with an erstwhile Dow component company. The year I started (1985) was the beginning of the end of a great American icon (I swear it was just a coincidence!)

My career plan included navigating to "safe" initiatives, projects and organizations, but it was a lot like running across a wooden bridge burning behind me while I tried desparately to get to the other side of the canyon before the bridge crashed and burned into the abyss!

Long story short :rolleyes:, in late 2011, the top brass announced to a live assembly of all employees that they had "no intention" of filing for bankruptcy. The very next day, they announced that they retained a law firm specializing in corporate restructuring/bankruptcy.:facepalm:

What's this? Is that the other side of the canyon I see through the billowing smoke? The bridge is almost gone behind me! But wait! I'm 56! Friends and family said "Don't worry! Your pension is secure - you're vested!" Talked to an attorney who told us "Well, sort of!"

Well, folks - I took the money and ran!:greetings10: So, here we are, just the 2 of us (3 if you count the dog!) I really really really like being retired - we're trying to figure out how to make it so I don't have to go back (unless I want to :LOL:).

That's why I'm here. Looking forward to being in this group.

P.S. Did I mention I really like being retired?:)

Congratulations,

I am new as well, there are some very sharp ER's on this site. I hope I can benefit from their wisdom. Not retired yet but won't be long. Welcome and enjoy.

Welcome Felix! I think you'll learn lots here - I know I have.

My DH is semi-retired, and I plan to flip the switch in ~5 years. Until then, I read, read, read and absorb all my brain will allow.

Welcome Felix. There are much worse things than early retirement. :dance:

Welcome! I loved your well-written story and metaphors [or is it similes??]

I enjoyed your intro! and Welcome

Love your post! You know that we absolutely need a picture of your dog, right? Just so we can tell you what a pretty dog he or she is:). Good luck Felix!

Welcome to the site Felix! There's a ton of wisdom and encouragement here. You are a seasoned veteran compared to me.... today is my second day of ER. Like you, I was also propelled into ER, which has been quite an experience so far. Were you prepared to go when you did or are you adjusting on the fly? Good luck!

Were you prepared to go when you did or are you adjusting on the fly? Good luck!

[FONT=&quot]Rickochet,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Congratulations on your retirement![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Everything happened so quickly in my case that I wasn't "prepared" as such. Ready? Absolutely! Prepared? Sort of. I was planning to retire 18 months later than I did, so we're having to adjust financially.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think you'll get the hang of being retired. I wasn't happy in my last position and it took a few months before it really sunk in that "I never have to go back there again!" Then I really started to enjoy myself. Now I wonder how I ever had time to work!:LOL:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Congrats, Felix!

Sounds like you got across that bridge in the nick of time. Not a victim of the 'one-more-year' syndrome for sure ;)

Back
Top Bottom