I AM retiring early

GoodLife59

Dryer sheet aficionado
A statement and a question. I turn 60 next April and I WILL retire at the end of March. I’ll take 6 months for me and then find a new challenge that will be defined on my own terms. Question: Where can I find objective info on sourcing private health insurance?

Looking forward to the info and interactions on this site. Peace to all.

ACA plans will start to show up for 2020 for browsing prices shortly, but you won't be able to sign up of course until after your employer plan ends.

As Robbie mentions, it's often a good idea (if a more expensive one) to COBRA to carry you through at least the remainder of the year, if not the full 18 months it allows (36 in CA I think).

After that, as far as ACA - which is where all private insurance plans are now purchased, barring short term/catastrophe stuff - will show you all of your options. They vary greatly by state and county, so everyone's experiences are different. And yes healthsherpa is a good place to get started. You'll want to understand your appetite for premiums vs. deductible, and whether you'll continue to add to an HSA, etc.

I’ll have an HSA balance over $50k when I pull the trigger. Any thoughts on maximizing/stretching those dollars?

I’ll have an HSA balance over $50k when I pull the trigger. Any thoughts on maximizing/stretching those dollars?
Depends on what you have it invested in. Since it is not taxed upon withdrawal, I'd invest it aggressively and let it sit, use it later in life.

I'm using our HSA for a LTC contingency. It is now just invested. I still contribute to it

Back
Top Bottom