Join Early Retirement Today

I'm back after a few years - miss this place!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm back after a few years - miss this place!

Good morning all!

I joined a few years ago - and thanks to the wonderful folks here, the gears have been turning and my plans to FIRE in 2020 are most definitely on track. USN reservist on recall orders, on military leave from state job, married a couple years ago - DH was laid off from his corporate America job 2 days before we got hitched - so the military benefits have been a blessing. We stumbled into buying a business selling jerky at primarily beer & wine festivals that is more than covering his previous income and providing the ultimate gateway "hobby" for our retired lifestyle - he actually considers himself retired despite all the vendor negotiations, jerky orders, spreadsheets, etc that he deals with. I'm just listed as the primary owner so we get "Disabled Female Veteran Owned Business" status in the event we get to the point of gov contracts.

We did a major renovation on the house a couple years ago - as in adding a second floor, knocked down walls, etc...and were fortunate to pay cash! A refi is in the works now since he had a HELOC with a balloon pmt due this July. (plus we'll have an even lower rate!) Goal is to get this paid off completely in the next 3 years while I am still on active duty. Speaking of active duty, I was selected for a program that will let me hang around pretty much as long as I want past the initial 3 year obligation, but I plan on retiring as soon as they will pay me to not be here anymore! I was enlisted for 21 years (active & reserve) and commissioned in 2009 - I do owe them 8 years on active duty and am wrapping up the first 5 here at home as a recruiter. Next stop in July - New Orleans for 3 years!! Woot! House & spouse will remain here in NJ, but DH is thrilled to have a "second home" in NOLA to visit regularly. We have tons of FF miles, and have already booked a couple visits for him in between the jerky shows.

Just wanted to say hi the old and new crowd - I was informed that I'll need hobbies in NOLA since this job will not be a ball-breaker like recruiting, so I'll haunt this site again! I'm looking into moving to the Gretna area and looking into yoga studios, volleyball & softball leagues, will be adopting a cat (and I'm not even close to being a "cat" person!) so I'm not talking to myself in the apartment.

Best of everything to all here!

~ Fireup

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

Hey there Fireup, thanks for stopping by and updating us. Sounds like things are going your way .. hope that continues.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Holy cow...what a wonderful update!

Marriage, a beautiful home and retirement will be here before you know it. Congratulations all around!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back! Same as many here, I still recognize your avatar.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
gone traveling

Hi welcome back
I'm interested to learn more about the jerky business.

Where does one learn about these niche hobby type businesses. What kind of investment required? Startup business model ?

Thanks ! And thank you for your service which I should have said first !
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Administrator

Welcome back. Great to hear that things are progressing well for you.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hi ! Welcome back ! You have been busy ! Marriage ,new business & major remodeling !
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Though I wasn't here back when you joined, welcome back. It sounds like you have been so busy making your dreams come true that there was no time to write about it!

But, most important, thank you for your many years of service to our nation. The hard work and sacrifice of our service people keep us safe.... and free to have dreams like the ones so many of us expound on here.

Many thanks!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #9

Welcome back. Glad you are keeping busy.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 AM   #10

Thanks for the update, Fireup! Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy with some fun stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome back- great report, sounds like things are going really well!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looking forward to regular contact with the group!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Tags
navy, new orleans