I'm new here and....

CRLLS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
come from the both politically and financially bankrupt state of Illinois. :)

I got downsized at the beginning of the recession some years back. I could find no work for a number of years. My wife went back to work to help support our life without relying on our savings. She is very conservative. I am now self employed and am entering my 3rd 1-year contract working out of my house for a former supplier. Making ~50% of what I did, but only work about 30 her per month. DW planning on retiring in Dec. She has been great during these last few years.

Fidelity's Retirement Income Planner says I have no problems if we both quit tomorrow. FIREcalc says very close to the same. I think it said only 2 scenarios where I don't make it. I consider that pretty good. But, the job is fun, not much work and I enjoy the guy(s) I am working with, so why quit? If they will have me, I currently plan on continuing my work up to and maybe beyond my FRA. Things are very flexible with them. Take whatever time off that I need, whenever I need it. Very relaxed situation, unlike my last full time job.

I haven't got too much more to say for now other than I plan on checking in an a regular basis. There is so much good info here, I'd hate to miss any of it.

Chuck

Welcome to the forum, Chuck.

Sounds like you have a gig that gives you a good balance between freedom, cash, and hours. If you enjoy it, it makes sense to keep working.

Hi Chuck!

Welcome to the forums. Please let us know how things are going. I still consult part time and its been a good thing for me as I need the interaction with my peers and the money has been helpful. DW retired about 5 years ago and stays busy. I tried full retirement and found that I am happier still putting my fingers in the industrial world, at least for the time being.

Welcome to the forums! I too found a job I liked for a while after retirement but when things went south it was nice to be able to quit.

Sounds like you have a good gig going so no hurry to bail on it.

Welcome aboard. Your wife sounds like a treasure, and you were clever to turn what must have been a discouraging episode into a very positive situation.

Many of us are "partly retired." I retired from the Federal government on Jan 3rd, and then was called back part-time (still getting my full pension) to help start up a new effort - it's been fun, the money has come in handy, and I'm home more than I'm at work. It's not yet clear if my position is still funded in the new fiscal year - if it is, I'll probably continue working a couple days a week. If it isn't, well, it was fun while it lasted.

Check in often!

Amethyst

even though this is early retirement forum, many still have some work and the subsequent income to boost their money. I view retirement as not having to work, but work if you want to. Sounds like you are in that situation, and no reason to have to stop if you don't want to.

Keep hanging out and contribute to or learn from the site.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

I totally agree with your plan ... since you enjoy the work and the people, only work 30 hours a month, and get paid 50% of what you did as a full time employee - you should continue. It keeps you active, marketable (just in case), and gives you some extra spending money.

I am doing a similar plan (consulting part time throughout the year) - I call it semi-retirement. Balance is key!

Enjoy!

Congrats and welcome, most of us find this forum a helpful resource.

And while it's an Early Retirement forum, it doesn't always work out as planned, and working longer is a very common stated/unstated plan B for most if not all.

While the average US retirement age was/is around 62 (many not FI), if you retire FI before 65, you're doing better than the overwhelming majority.

Attachments

• sydjnu3tvuiz82mtvmm8iq.png
    sydjnu3tvuiz82mtvmm8iq.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 15
  • retirement-distribution.jpg
    retirement-distribution.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom