Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Introduce yourself here!
Old 07-19-2004, 04:30 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

INHERETANCE...SCHMENHERETANCE!!!!

It may not be what its cracked up to be. Its just leaving me cracked up. After all the grieving is over my wife is now the owner of "this old house" with no Bob Vila in sight. Two cars, some life insurance (taxable income) and boxes and boxes of knick-knacks.

Nice problem to have? Maybe but it will keep me hoppin' for the next year or so. Ebay here I come! (Waddayamean we cant sell theses precious treasures?!)

BUM

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2004, 04:35 AM   #182

Hello BUM. Sell 'em. My wife has the house filled with
stuff which could be turned into cash. I expect to be long gone with the stuff still sitting around here.
She is one of those folks who just accumulates and
I am one who tries to turn all "excess baggage" into cash. Just a different modus operandi.

John Galt

Old 07-19-2004, 02:43 PM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bum, if you are ER,d consider it your job for the next year. You are fortunate. Mrs. Bum could have had "bums" for parents! :
Old 07-19-2004, 02:58 PM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, you could have been my wifes ex-neighbors family.

He blew his money on unmentionables and let the house fall apart around him. When he passed on, the county knocked the house down and cleared the land, and passed the unsellable lot and a $10,000 bill for past property taxes and the home levelling to them.

I guess the good news is we dont have a neighbor on that side.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 AM   #185
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi,
I am 43 years old and I retired at 41 , I have about 3200 a month in income from my company. I have med insurance too!
I have about 150K in stock and 50 k in my tdsp. I pay my bill ok. my wife works as well and we have 2 kids in school. I want to live on a boat in fla someday that is my next goal. I have 3 other members of the famoly who want no part of it!
oh well its always something Every day is Saturday!!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:51 AM   #186
Dryer sheet wannabe

OK I am on my way. Planning..... or not it can be scary.
No mortgage, I'm 52 wife 53 and she starts collecting 23,000 pension. I quit full time work, last day 10/5. I will have a part time job 20,000. Health Insurance OK thru wifes retirement. Our expenses are 30,000, includes a little of the extras. Cars paid. No kids. High expence area New England. Assets include 230,000 in 457's; 525,000 in bonds, mutual funds-(40% in stocks and 60% in bonds) and 70,000 in bank accounts. Support!!! and Ideas ect. please :o
Old 09-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No mortgage, I'm 52 wife 53 and she starts collecting 23,000 pension. I quit full time work, last day 10/5. I will have a part time job 20,000. Health Insurance OK thru wifes retirement. Our expenses are 30,000, includes a little of the *extras. Cars paid. No kids. High expence area New England. Assets include 230,000 in 457's; 525,000 in bonds, mutual funds-(40% in stocks and 60% in bonds) and 70,000 in bank accounts. Support!!! and Ideas ect. please :o
Tentative - ideas?!!!! for what? on how to enjoy life? You have earned a happy life - enjoy it. Get your favorate adult beverage, get naked with your life and say "Isn't life grand"
Old 09-13-2004, 08:19 AM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Horrors  -  Part time job

Quote:
No mortgage, I'm 52 wife 53 and she starts collecting 23,000 pension. I quit full time work, last day 10/5. I will have a part time job 20,000. Health Insurance OK thru wifes retirement. Our expenses are 30,000, includes a little of the extras. Cars paid. No kids. High expence area New England. Assets include 230,000 in 457's; 525,000 in bonds, mutual funds-(40% in stocks and 60% in bonds) and 70,000 in bank accounts. Support!!! and Ideas ect. please :o
You've got your expenses covered six ways to sunday, Why do you want to ruin your new life with a Part-time job? Sounds very much like work to me. I'll have to assume it's something you enjoy immensely and couldn't live without... Naaa
Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #189
Dryer sheet wannabe

JonnyM
I think my poor background has made me "tenative" and afraid of the unknown?// Saw my parents with nothing . My part time job is OK with a good non-profit- only a few hours (8) and some adults to interact with. My friends look at me with that wide eyed glaze- when I tell them I'm ERing and it makes you wonder.... I must be lucky or crazy.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #190

You aren't just lucky, and you aren't crazy. You worked for everything you have. The no kids sure does help though! : The beauty of the no-brainer job is you can ditch it anytime you want. I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:31 AM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Why do kids effect your ER so much?

Quote:
You aren't just lucky, and you aren't crazy. You worked for everything you have. The no kids sure does help though! :
I don't get the preoccupation with "no kids". I'm planning to ER at about the same age as Tentative, my kids are up and out, sure they were resource hogs during the tenure at the old homestead, but they flown off to make their own nests now. They are simply not a factor, nor ever where a hindrance to my plans to eventually stop working. If anything they are much more aware of the potential to consider FIRE as a long term goal then most kiddies, definitely anyone young and reading this board excluded.

And I didn't have my kids as a teen either. Late 20's
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #192

Perhaps I misunderstood Johnny. I assumed no kids meant just that. Maybe tenative is like you and me and the brood has long since flown the coop! : I consider my family to be priceless. $$Ęs wise, however, DINKS (double income no kids) should be able to ER before the rest of us.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:51 PM   #193
Dryer sheet wannabe

We would have loved to have kids... married in our early 40's and too late for all the responsibility. Funny how things work out, my wifes disability would have left her with little energy or good health to care for children.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #194
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kids can really influence ER plans. Especially the feminNINE side of the equation. The guy (me in this case) can't get far enough away old roots. Not necessarily away from the kids... thats just the way it works out since our ER home is 1000 miles from where we are now. The lady (wife in this case) feels compelled to be close to the children; not to mention possible future grandchildren!.

Cost effective solution: Gift certificate from Dr. Kevorkian

BUM
Old 09-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #195

Your wife sounds like she'll be a wonderful grandmother.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:23 AM   #196

I probably posted this before, so I beg your indulgence.

My kids are "priceless" too but "resource hogs" is right
on. My last was born when I was 40. As was said about GWB, "she was born on third base and thought she hit a
triple". This was back in my big spender days so she
got about whatever she wanted. I recall one of her
friends seeing her red Miata convertible and saying "And
I thought I was spoiled!" Her mother (a real
"resource hog") and I divorced before my daughter started high school. When college time rolled around
I had very little input. She chose a very expensive private
school and then her mother hauled me into court to
see what could be extorted. I got whacked big time
and we are still fighting over it. More divorce
related fallout. The ripples never end. BTW, while you
stay married, you can not be compelled to pay for
your child's college. After a divorce, the courts can order
whatever they wish, according to my attorney.
Doesn't really make sense does it?

John Galt

Old 09-19-2004, 03:23 PM   #197
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been lurking for a while here and just wanted to say hello! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and insight for all to read...what a great service. It is nice to read about people that have these common ideas, especially when it seems so rare to find similarily-motivated people in "real" life.

Anyway today is a happy day for me, I now have 100k sitting in accounts (401k, Roth, etc) earmarked for retirement and recently put 20% down on my first house (condo)! Been working for 6 years out of college and am 28. It has been trying working for "the man" but sometimes it seems worth it.

Cheers!! 8)

Old 09-20-2004, 08:37 AM   #198

Welcome Eryx... from a fellow 28 year old.

and Damn the Man!
Old 09-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #199
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great start,ERYX, keep the plan going and you will be a happy short timer.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:12 PM   #200

Hey bow-tie. Lighten up! I was/am "the man".

John Galt

Closed Thread