Introduce yourself here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't begin to tell you where to put your cash, but I think you can start DCAing into the market with your money, putting 5 grand or so in a month. If you've lurked a while you know popular choices here are:

Vanguard Wellesly (60/40 bonds/stocks)
Vanguard Wellington (60/40 stocks/bonds)

People also like Vanguards Large cap value, and a portion in the S&P index, too.

Congrats on the huge condo profit!

The only significant comment I can offer would be to keep the $250-300k you anticipate spending on a future condo in MMF, ISA (Emigrant, ING, etc) or CDs as you don't want capital at risk when you plan to buy in 2-3 years.  

That leaves you currently with ~$900k in investments plus whatever you will be saving between now and retirement.  You need to first decide on your asset allocation for your drawdown years and what makes you sleep well at night. Then you can decide whether to allocate more of your fixed income to equities or bonds.  

You haven't indicated if your 401ks an IRAs are in all equity or not. Generally speaking, it is more tax effective to have interest bearing investments inside your 401ks and IRAs and capital gains/dividend generating investments in your taxable accounts.

Thanks for your response AltaRed

I am planning on keeping at least 250k in CD's, not knowing how the market is going I should probably pump that up a little.

I'll have to work on deciding the asset allocation. Good Sleep is important to us  ;) Thats one of the reasons we live fugally.

The 401k and IRA's are heavy in Bonds, then Large, Mid, Small stocks and International Fund

Howdy! I guess you might say that I'm voluntarily working these days as I'm FI and could RE. At 38, I enjoy my security-related position that, until recently, offered a lot of travel and variety. The latest post, however, isn't as fun and I'm thinking of about getting out, and moving to Baja where I can do more surfing, paddling, dirt bike riding, horseback riding, fishing, and exploring.

I entered my current line of work more out of a sense of duty, giving something back to the system that's been so good to me and being a part of something much larger than myself. My background is largely that of being self employed/small business with some Army time thrown into the mix.

Anybody out there move to Baja recently?

Looking forward to digging further into the forum.

Welcome to the board, Advking. It's good to see another surfer here.

Um, you know your e-mail address and your IP address are logged by this forum's software, right? Hopefully your supervisor or your IT folks don't have an issue with your posting from their network...

Of course. No problem.

Despite what the Howard Deans and Michael Moore's out there would like you to think, government stooges really won't drop out of the ceiling every time one uses unclass government equipment for limited personal business.

janeofalltrades said:
I have also been spending quite a bit of time in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, housesitting for friends, so PV might be an option but it seems like its just getting too crowded for us.
We spend 2 months each winter in PV. We plan to spend more time once MIL is no longer dependent on us (doesn't drive, refuses to take public transit/taxis, 91 and impaired vision). The crowding has got us decided to locate south of Rio Cuale so we can walk to restaurants, beach and shopping. Transit time from the Marina can approach 45 minutes to the Malecon. Maybe we will see you there this Feb?

DW and I retired in August 2002. I originally took ER in 1992 on a reduced pension. I started a technology consulting business. Then I began doing management consulting on business change. After many different contracts for a variety of clients I was drafted as CEO in a big service company. After it was eventually acquired, I consulted a bit more, then decided to start a technology company. That company was acquired in 2002 after 5 years.

So I had a decision to make. Start consulting again or try to ER. Coincidentally, DW had started her own IT recruiting business in 2000 and was contemplating shutting it down as she was not making enough profit. So we both began ER experimentally. We knew we could start up again if needed.

My pensions covers 35% of our monthly "nut". Our savings cover another 65% at 4%. So we are just covered a present. The pensions are not fully-indexed. OTOH we expect that our expenses will decline as we get further into ER. Right now we spend a lot of travel. We expect to spend longer term in PV in about 5 years (5 months) and this should reduce our costs from our short-term expenses there now. Plus we know the cost of living there is substantially less. I have an alimony agreement that is finished in June 2007 and that will reduce the nut by 15%.

Our nut includes rent as we downsized into a rental penthouse in West Vancouver, BC. We looked at buying again but did not like any of the condos that were/are available (not big enough, wrong neighbourhood). It has been a good decision for us so far.

If we get squeezed due to inflation or other unexpected costs (or a market meltdown), we plan to lease a 12-month place in PV and sublet our penthouse to a professor from September 15th to April 15th each year. We might also sublet in PV in the summer.

We have done some home swaps and that has proven to be a nice way to experience other areas. We have 2 cats so always want someone in our place when we travel. We work that with our housekeeper and also with asynchronous home swaps.

I am enjoying the many experiences and stories here. I contribute where my own experiences might help. I avoid opinion pieces such as wars and politics as I find there are many words expended without any progress.

My hobbies include photography, electronics, portfolio management, hiking, mountain biking and travel. I am still a director on three private companies boards.

Thanks for listening.

Keith (and Faye)

It has now been a little over a year since I registered with this site but I don't believe I ever introduced myself. I don't remember how I stumbled onto the site, but after a year I can safely say that I have very much enjoyed seeing some of the threads and have posted replies on occaision. Problem is I travel a lot plus other work commitments so am a very eratic visitor to the site.

I came to the USA with my wife and 2 children (ages 4 and 6) in '87 from England and lived in Houston 2 years, Baton Rouge 15 years, and Houston again this last 3 years.

It was only after we made the move to the USA permanent in 1992 that I began to realize that as I was starting over again for the 4th time with a new company and a new pension plan that I really needed to rely on something other than defined pension plans to secure our long term future. Fortunately, at 37 I woke up in time and started educating myself via books, magazines and a short college night class that DW attended with me. DW ER'ed 2 years ago when we moved back to Houston and I plan to ER in 2010 at the age of 55, although the closer I get to FI the harder it becomes as I see what a great time DW is having. Both children have left home with one graduated from college, working and married, and the other set to graduate in 6 months so our financial goals are really focused on ourselves now as the children seem to be well set up.

Alan said:
DW ER'ed 2 years ago when we moved back to Houston and I plan to ER in 2010 at the age of 55, although the closer I get to FI the harder it becomes as I see what a great time DW is having.
Hi Alan,
I'm 54 and planned to retire at about 56. But the same question keeps nagging me. Do I really need to go the extra 2 years? I've married myself to a certain amount from the pension and a certain amount saved. I probably don't need it. :confused:

mountaintosea said:
   Hi Alan,
   I'm 54 and planned to retire at about 56. But the same question keeps nagging me. Do I really need to go the extra 2 years? I've married myself to a certain amount from the pension and a certain amount saved. I probably don't need it. :confused:

I anguish over the same issue several times a month :(
It's a real pain, because I know I can manage OK if I was laid off or something, but I find it hard to delay taking a pension at 62 instead of 55, plus I would be giving up health insurance if I quit before 55. I really like the folks I work with fortunately, it's just the daily grind that gets me down these days. :p

Cut-Throat said:
johngalt,

I am 52, retired from the Software industry and spent the last 20 years or so planning, investing etc for it.

I would think that the whole purpose of the FIRE Calc is that you really should not move into and out of investments. This timing the market thing is hazerdous to your portfolio.

Investing over time in an index fund and leaving it there during tough times will surely result in a 30-40% drop at some time. But if you realize this, and beleive that the next 50 years will look similar to a 50 year period from 1871 to the present you won't panic.

You have to have a plan and stick with it! - The stock market is the only way to keep up with inflation. I know it's tempting to put all your money under your mattress, but that is a sure way of defeat!

it took me along time to finally get myself to follow the above even though i knew it was the best way...after years of trading in and out and thinking i was always going to do better i finally realized i was my own worst enemy...the long term averages work great if you leave them alone...the worst part was when i was in the market id stress over what if the market drops so id want to sell and protect my money,,,then when i was out and the market was going up id say jerk look what you are missing......there is never a stress free time for me so heck ill take my chances being in the game....the important thing is have a well diversified portfolio,a plan,and a realistic goal other than make as much as i can...i need 7-8% long term average at 3% inflation to make my plan work and so my portfolio is geared at 50/50 to match that goal..

Hi, I'm Done Happily.  I retired at 60 and my life has really begun.  My 30 year marriage is solid, my income has quadrupled and my health is really fine. I get healthier each day with exercise. I'm writing three books and just set-up a corporation to begin supporting programs for Unions and school districts who are helping teachers who are feeling burned-out. Early retirement is where it is at.

I'd like to hear from others who have done it right. :LOL:

Hello DH, welcome to the forum.

Done Happily said:

I'm writing three books and just set-up a corporation to begin supporting programs for Unions and school districts who are helping teachers who are feeling burned-out.

Just so you won't be too surprised, there are some here who would argue you aren't retired, you just changed jobs. ;)

How did your income quadruple?

Done Happily said:
I'd like to hear from others who have done it right. :LOL:
Welcome to the board, DH.

Apparently you need to learn to surf...

Hi there, a 51 yr old here, retired early...... in June 2003... and loving it more each day!! I've been lurking on this board for a while, ... nice folks, great ideas and inputs.

We have 2 children, oldest just turned 20 and is in college, while the youngest is 16 and in final year of high school.

My wife and I are looking forward to having some quality travel time once the kids are "launched"!!!!

My one pet pieve from all our friends, is the question......"So what do you do with yourself?" ::)

1Gunner said:
My one pet pieve from all our friends, is the question......"So  what do you do with yourself?"  ::)
Welcome to the board, Gunner. I hear ya...

Welcome Gunner, I can't wait till people can ask me what I do all day. Only a few months to go.

Getting Very Bored

I am brand new to this forum. I'm 37 and semi-retired from a Wall Street career, now living in NJ. I am not married yet, but spending time with my girlfriend when she is not working. I spend my time in the morning trading stocks, since I am basically living off of my investment income right now, and will jump in the ocean to surf whenever there are waves here in NJ. Otherwise, I am starting to get bored. I have attempted to volunteer at a couple of places, which has not exactly panned out yet. I live by myself, and am looking for something more to do during the day. I have been trying to find something part-time to do during the week, but have not found many opportunities in Monmouth County. Just looking for ideas. Thanks! ;)

Laird, I see you've galted, but since you are new to the forum, you're excused.

Welcome, laird. Lessee...do you get jazzed by being with people? If so, there are many things to do that include others...from bridge club to Sierra Club, from Meals on Wheels to fundraising for your favorite cause. If you're curious/studious, you can study anything from African drumming to Sarbanes-Oxley to the bugs in your backyard. You could help others get their financial act together by volunteering at your local Senior Center or starting a financial blog. You could start rapping or bluegrass fiddling, or take up ballroom dancing, photography, or the kazoo :LOL: You could become a docent at your favorite aquarium, museum, or historical house--or become an expert and offer free tours of the sights in your county. You could offer to organize your best friend's CD collection, your grandmother's old letters, your brother's hall closet. You could work on becoming more fit and eating better. Climb some mountains, ford some streams, watch some butterflies. Or...you could always get an ordinary job ;)

Greetings

I've lurked for a couple of years now and find the wisdom and creativity of the members to be particularly enjoyable.

Age 49.

"Retired" from CA. to VA. about 3 years ago. Left a large healthcare technology company.

Have a wife and an 8 yr. old. Jumped back in to the job scene about a year ago and expect that to last about 2-3 more years. I'll be done then.

I had a blast during the 2 years that I took off. Will do it again soon. The key driver in the decision to downshift was spending time with the family....Mission accomplished - even with the new position where I work from home.

Thanks for all of the insight and I'll look forward to "talkin' with ya."

I just came across this forum yesterday while surfin' @ work. I could've been working @ work, but being a "short-timer" things are winding down....faaaassst!!! Therefore I surfed instead! :D

I'm single, just shy of 50, just got some new wheels, and own a 2007 Rand-McNally Road Atlas!!! Seems it's almost time for a LOOOONG vacation until I'm hopefully about 100!!!

I've been at the same rock pile for 30 years, and had planned to get paroled....er, retire at 55 with 35 years on a DB pension....5 years from now. However, they offered a ER Incentive, under which I'm buying 5 years credit, and have some other time that will figure in. I'll end up with 35yr 10mo service. Pension (after taxes and ins premiums) will be 84% of my current net pay, plus I'll receive a couple of substantial lump sum payments from my employer. And 2 more positives: (1) I'll have zilch in personal debt, (2) my investments will continue churning out profits!!! I guess I've learned well!!!

I get to jump ship the first week of April '07!!! (95 working days left) Yee-Haa!!! :LOL:

Have A Great Day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom