Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Re: Introduce yourself here!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #541
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Happily
I'd like to hear from others who have done it right.
Welcome to the board, DH.

Apparently you need to learn to surf...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #542
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi there, a 51 yr old here, retired early...... in June 2003... and loving it more each day!! I've been lurking on this board for a while, ... nice folks, great ideas and inputs.

We have 2 children, oldest just turned 20 and is in college, while the youngest is 16 and in final year of high school.

My wife and I are looking forward to having some quality travel time once the kids are "launched"!!!!

My one pet pieve from all our friends, is the question......"So what do you do with yourself?" :

Old 09-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #543
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
My one pet pieve from all our friends, is the question......"So* what do you do with yourself?"* :
Welcome to the board, Gunner. I hear ya...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #544
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Gunner, I can't wait till people can ask me what I do all day. Only a few months to go.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #545
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome! I already get that question even tho I have 6 months to go.*
Getting Very Bored
Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #546

Getting Very Bored

I am brand new to this forum. I'm 37 and semi-retired from a Wall Street career, now living in NJ. I am not married yet, but spending time with my girlfriend when she is not working. I spend my time in the morning trading stocks, since I am basically living off of my investment income right now, and will jump in the ocean to surf whenever there are waves here in NJ. Otherwise, I am starting to get bored. I have attempted to volunteer at a couple of places, which has not exactly panned out yet. I live by myself, and am looking for something more to do during the day. I have been trying to find something part-time to do during the week, but have not found many opportunities in Monmouth County. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #547

Laird, I see you've galted, but since you are new to the forum, you're excused.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #548

Welcome, laird. Lessee...do you get jazzed by being with people? If so, there are many things to do that include others...from bridge club to Sierra Club, from Meals on Wheels to fundraising for your favorite cause. If you're curious/studious, you can study anything from African drumming to Sarbanes-Oxley to the bugs in your backyard. You could help others get their financial act together by volunteering at your local Senior Center or starting a financial blog. You could start rapping or bluegrass fiddling, or take up ballroom dancing, photography, or the kazoo You could become a docent at your favorite aquarium, museum, or historical house--or become an expert and offer free tours of the sights in your county. You could offer to organize your best friend's CD collection, your grandmother's old letters, your brother's hall closet. You could work on becoming more fit and eating better. Climb some mountains, ford some streams, watch some butterflies. Or...you could always get an ordinary job
Old 10-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #549
Recycles dryer sheets

Greetings

I've lurked for a couple of years now and find the wisdom and creativity of the members to be particularly enjoyable.

Age 49.

"Retired" from CA. to VA. about 3 years ago. Left a large healthcare technology company.

Have a wife and an 8 yr. old. Jumped back in to the job scene about a year ago and expect that to last about 2-3 more years. I'll be done then.

I had a blast during the 2 years that I took off. Will do it again soon. The key driver in the decision to downshift was spending time with the family....Mission accomplished - even with the new position where I work from home.

Thanks for all of the insight and I'll look forward to "talkin' with ya."
Old 10-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #550

I just came across this forum yesterday while surfin' @ work. I could've been working @ work, but being a "short-timer" things are winding down....faaaassst!!! Therefore I surfed instead!

I'm single, just shy of 50, just got some new wheels, and own a 2007 Rand-McNally Road Atlas!!! Seems it's almost time for a LOOOONG vacation until I'm hopefully about 100!!!

I've been at the same rock pile for 30 years, and had planned to get paroled....er, retire at 55 with 35 years on a DB pension....5 years from now. However, they offered a ER Incentive, under which I'm buying 5 years credit, and have some other time that will figure in. I'll end up with 35yr 10mo service. Pension (after taxes and ins premiums) will be 84% of my current net pay, plus I'll receive a couple of substantial lump sum payments from my employer. And 2 more positives: (1) I'll have zilch in personal debt, (2) my investments will continue churning out profits!!! I guess I've learned well!!!

I get to jump ship the first week of April '07!!! (95 working days left) Yee-Haa!!!

Have A Great Day!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #551
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Goonie-- and congratulations!

Old 10-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #552
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
I just came across this forum yesterday while surfin' @ work. I could've been working @ work, but being a "short-timer" things are winding down....faaaassst!!! Therefore I surfed instead!

I'm single, just shy of 50, just got some new wheels, and own a 2007 Rand-McNally Road Atlas!!! Seems it's almost time for a LOOOONG vacation until I'm hopefully about 100!!!

I've been at the same rock pile for 30 years, and had planned to get paroled....er, retire at 55 with 35 years on a DB pension....5 years from now. However, they offered a ER Incentive, under which I'm buying 5 years credit, and have some other time that will figure in. I'll end up with 35yr 10mo service. Pension (after taxes and ins premiums) will be 84% of my current net pay, plus I'll receive a couple of substantial lump sum payments from my employer. And 2 more positives: (1) I'll have zilch in personal debt, (2) my investments will continue churning out profits!!! I guess I've learned well!!!

I get to jump ship the first week of April '07!!! (95 working days left) Yee-Haa!!!

Have A Great Day!!!
I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.

Semper fi.

JG
Old 11-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #553

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I research my portfolio daily. Have been saving since I was 21 (Now 55) can't stand corporate America anymore and Fire Calc says I can quit. However will have to down size home and wait 18 months for one to get out of High School.

The good news is it looks like I can ER the bad news I am a pay check junky.

I wonder how many others are like this and are just plain chicken, like me, to pull the plug.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I wonder how many others are like this and are just plain chicken, like me, to pull the plug.
I've run all the numbers so many times, my numeric keypad is about worn out!!! I KNOW by the numbers that I'm OK to RE.....but every once in a while a lurking thought pops up that says, "But, are you SURE?" And with a half worn out keypad and stacks of calcs on paper....Yeah, I'm SURE!!!

As far as being a pay check junkie....I get 26 stubs a year currently (direct deposit)....With my DB pension (with cola) I'll be down to 13 per year (still just the stubs....still direct deposit).

It can be a bit unsettling though, since this is an all new, uncharted territory for each of us. Yeah, I know others have passed this way before.....BUT, I haven't!!!! (YET!!!)

BTW....my RE is 5 months from tomorrow!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #555

I only have a 401k from work and no pension. I like you have worn out my share of numbers.

Do you think that FC is the most accurate calculator you have used. It tells me that I will be using 4% of my portfolio and that I should never run out of money.

Fortunately I am dept free.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #556

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA

Do you think that FC is the most accurate calculator you have used.
Actually, I haven't used FC yet....started to a couple of times...but then I thought, "Nah, I'll do this later." And...Oops!....I haven't gotten back to it yet. I have used other calcs, and forms, and some resources from my pension folks. I've gone to a couple of planning seminars, and met with my regional pension rep a couple of times. Also have talked to my CPA, and a friend who is a financial planner (who knew he wasn't gonna get a nickel outta me )

And of course I've consulted with several friends/relatives who are living the life...and gotten their "where the rubber meets the road" advice.....Very insightful!!!

I've also read several books that have dealt with retirement costs and investments...including things that are often over looked...even the little things like magazine subscriptions and oil changes. They're small but they add up.

But FC...one of these days I will!!! I promise...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #557

Been lurking on this forum for quite some time.

Personals - 51 yrs old, married with one kid (13 yrs old). Hoping to retire in 7 or 8 yrs.

Retirement made up as follows:

401 (approx. 50%) - contribute about 17% of gross salary plus 6% company match

Trad IRIs (approx. 25%)

Roth IRAs (2%) - plan to fully contribute for both me and my wife

Taxable (23%)

60/40 Equity/bonds and cash - Mostly Vanguard funds and mostly active.

My company offers a pension but it is not colad (Pension is projected to be worth $10,000 per year when I am 55 and $20,000 when I am 62.
Have 529 plan thru state of Nevada (Vanguard) with a healthy balance (should pay for 4 yrs of in state (Illinois) public university. Presently 529 is 25% equities and 75% bonds (all index funds and I realize a very conservative mix but I figure it will be only only 4 1/2 years before junior starts college). I figure it should grow about 5% per year and we contribute $250 per month.

I have learned alot reading the messages on this forum. Admittedly, I am reluctant to provide $ figures of our retirement fund. Should I be concerned??

My company offers a pension but it is not colad (Pension is projected to be worth $10,000 per year when I am 55 and $20,000 when I am 62.

Presently we live comfortably on $6,600 take home a month.

Just wonder how much we would need in a nest egg when I am 55 given I should be able to draw about $10,000 per yr from my pension.
My guess would be $1.8mm.

What do you think??

Golfnut

Old 12-17-2006, 10:17 PM   #558
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, golfnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut
Just wonder how much we would need in a nest egg when I am 55 given I should be able to draw about $10,000 per yr from my pension.
My guess would be $1.8mm.
Well, as you know from lurking, you don't have to guess.

It sounds like you have college covered. As for ER, have you looked at your retirement expenses, along with the pensions & Social Security, and entered them into FIRECalc?

Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #559

OK, OKay, Sorry I didn't do this earlier.. Actually, I didn't realize this part of the forum was available before...I thought the whole thing was the Health and Retirement section.

Just so you all know, I am very gunshy about giving too much personal information about myself on the internet...We had an incidence here in Colorado not too long ago with a few young girls who were killed by a nutcase because they gave too much info. on the internet, so I hope you all don't mind if I keep myself somewhat anonymous.

I'm sure you all figured out by now that i am an economic conservative and I am a self-employed insurance agent licensed in the state of Colorado. I've found that I am addicted to reading people's posts....some of the things people say just fascinate me. It's a good thing I'm a multitasker, cuz otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get anything done! Since my life revolves around health insurance, you'll probably see me in the health and retirement sections most of the time.

Also, and I hope this doesn't give away too much information, I am woman....not a guy as some of you may have thought! Bet you never thought a woman would lean so far to the right on economic issues....

I am in my late 30's and I have children and somehow I manage to work full time and juggle my career with all of my kid's activities. My husband and I have been together for 18 years, and we are a little over halfway to retirement. We also work together and share a lot of the same views. Our favorite hobbies are going camping and skiing with our kids and fixing up our house. In the summer, I love to garden. I would consider myself to be in the middle class. I live in a suburban neighborhood in a track home, and I drive an old 1995 Chevy.

My husband calls me a closet hacker, because I am always on the computer working on my website, which I prefer not to advertise here, because I think it will give away too much personal information about me. I like to keep my business separate from my personal opinions about politics and the economy.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #560
Moderator Emeritus

MKLD,

Welcome to the board (belatedly), and thanks for saying a little about yourself. I must admit I inappropriately assumed you were a man based on my own obvious subconscious stereotyping - lesson learned. I moderate the Health and ER forum.

You have already gotten some push-back and handled it gracefully, but don't avoid the other forums. There a lot of good material there and, yes, this is an early retirement board.

As to wishing to remain anonymous, that is understood. Doing so allows you to reveal whatever you wish about your career, finance, retirement plans, etc. without fear of "outing."

The board is pretty free-wheeling but also pretty wise. People don't often buy sweeping generalizations without some backup links and data. Opinions span the entire spectrum politically.

You may also find that shorter "to the point" posts get a better reception than long diatribes. Hope you stick around, You may learn a few things, and teach us a few things while you're at it. Please keep an open mind.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Closed Thread