Is your time worth a sacrifice in living standard?

By retiring at 52 instead of 55, I gave up a huge sum, between pension value, stock options, RSUs, salary, and bonus. It was worth every dime. And the upshot is I haven't sacrificed anything. I "thought" I needed to work to 55 just because that was some arbitrary age when megacorp bumped the pension, vested your options, etc. Once I did the math, and it was clear I could retire with no impact on lifestyle, I was gone.

As others have said, we've had more time to pay attention to expenses. So it's been easy to cut many things without sacrificing at all. Not only do we spend less on food, but I get the creative outlet of cooking something from scratch everyday. I spend less on repairs and get the satisfaction of learning new skills. That has left even more money for travel, hobbies, home improvements, entertainment, and other things that bring us happiness. So it "feels" like our lifestyle has improved significantly more than just looking at spending figures.

Someone said there are degrees of sacrifice, and I agree with that. I probably would not have pulled the trigger if the answer was 50% lower. At 75%... I don't know; maybe. 85%... no problem; I could make that work. I do think it's extremely important to compare before/after spending figures and not income. Many people make the mistake of thinking they need to replace their income, or some high percentage of it. So many things just go away automatically like payroll taxes, federal taxes, savings, commuting, clothing, dry cleaning, car expenses, expensive lunches, etc. We also paid off the mortgage and watched our youngest graduate from college. Our expenses in retirement are only about 40% of our final household income, and we could easily cut that to 30% if needed.

I'm just glad I didn't "sacrifice" three years of my life for a pile of money I didn't need. Life is short and highly uncertain. Don't waste it building a buffer you don't need, especially if you dislike your job and/or have family history of health problems.

I left work about about 2 years earlier than the original plan (56 instead of 58). I've always worked and earned my own way, so this was a big step for me - giving up up a reliable and healthy paycheck. It has only been a couple of months, but I haven't missed work one bit - I've been too busy. So far, no regrets!
DH will joins me in 21 months! He is counting the days.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I ponder and struggle with the question of cut back on work now, or keep working hard and retire fully sooner. I think the calculation is much "simpler" if you have a disease or non-avoidable circumstance that forces your hand.

Basically the question comes down to "How wealthy do I want to be", and how much time/health do I want to gamble on attaining it. My biggest fear is getting close to my number, then getting sick/hurt. So far, I've chosen to work multiple jobs and kill myself to get ahead, I'd like to see a payoff on the backend.

I thought about 50 then 55. Now will be 57 in March, so I am thinking a lot harder but the decision is coming more naturally. It's a process and I think it's easier to resolve with a little (but not too much) time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Fortunately or maybe unfortunately, my job is very low stress and not very demanding. I usually only come in 4 days per week. I am paid a small fortune IMHO for what I consider very easy requirements. I consider myself a border line slacker. The scary part is I'm considered one of the more dependable people in meeting goals and having the required quality of work.
That sounds awesome. May I ask what you do for a living? I want in. :D

Beside lower expenses, one other mitigating factor I have found to working less hours at a real job are all the little extra low stress, kind of fun (to me anyway) ways to make extra money with more free time. I have a friend who ERed and showed me a bit how to do this, plus I have found more ideas from assorted forums, blogs and youtube videos. Rebates, contests, reward programs, sign up bonuses, frequent flyer miles, cash back cards, affiliate portals, newsletter special offers, etc. all add up. October is turning out to be a good month. Just for the first 3 weeks in October, so far I am at almost $2k in cash, gift cards, and free or deeply discounted merchandise value just doing odds and ends stuff in my spare time with ideas from sites like fatwallet, Reddit and just general web surfing, and this does not include our hobby business income.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom