Just another aspiring FI(RE?)ee

sambarguy

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, other FIREees and would-be-FIREees. I don't know how I missed the fact that this forum exists, so far. Someone mentioned it on reddit and I found it.

So.. I'm just another aspiring FIRE-ee. More FI than RE. If all goes well, I should get there in the next eight years or so, when I will be 43.

The reason I wouldn't immediately FIRE is not financial; I may switch professions, or just stay in my current line of work in a less stressful workplace, but the reason I wouldn't go full shebang FIRE immediately is I am still not sure if I would miss a peer-group that I would see everyday. A good problem to have, I guess :).

So.. hi again!

Hi, other FIREees and would-be-FIREees. I don't know how I missed the fact that this forum exists, so far. Someone mentioned it on reddit and I found it.

So.. I'm just another aspiring FIRE-ee. More FI than RE. If all goes well, I should get there in the next eight years or so, when I will be 43.

The reason I wouldn't immediately FIRE is not financial...

Sam the bar guy :cool:,

Welcome to the forum. The references and insights here are amazing - multiple perspectives to tailor to your specific situation.

43 is definitely on the early end. Unless you have a solid pension, don't discount the impact that would have on not having 35 years paid into social security past the first bend point.

Atom

Welcome Sam! Since you are financially sound, I would look for less stressful work. Save up a bunch of $ and let RE come to you. You'll know when its time - your free time will mean more to you than social life with the peer group and more than the extra $ that you would make if you keep working.

Sam the bar guy :cool:,

Welcome to the forum. The references and insights here are amazing - multiple perspectives to tailor to your specific situation.

43 is definitely on the early end. Unless you have a solid pension, don't discount the impact that would have on not having 35 years paid into social security past the first bend point.

Atom

Welcome Sam! Since you are financially sound, I would look for less stressful work. Save up a bunch of $ and let RE come to you. You'll know when its time - your free time will mean more to you than social life with the peer group and more than the extra $ that you would make if you keep working.

:greetings10: thanks! Actually "sambar" is the name of my favorite food (a kind of veggie lentil soup), so just called myself sambar guy.

That makes so much sense! Yeah, 43 will be (hopefully, if all goes well) more like my FI milestone than an actual retirement age. It is not like I will feel bored, I don't think I will. I think my need for peer-group is somewhat different from boredom. There is a certain sense of camaraderie when you see the same people every day, in the same age-group, going through many similar ups and downs - in school, workplace and so on. So yeah, I think I will keep enjoying that until I don't feel like it anymore. But yeah I do look forward to the FI milestone that will allow me to be more in control of where I go and do what everyday. There are peergroups and there are peergroups.

Also, I will move to an LCOL country so social security won't be a thing. Nor pension.

The reason I wouldn't immediately FIRE is not financial; I may switch professions, or just stay in my current line of work in a less stressful workplace, but the reason I wouldn't go full shebang FIRE immediately is I am still not sure if I would miss a peer-group that I would see everyday. A good problem to have, I guess :).

So.. hi again!

Welcome, I've been working towards the FI part of FIRE as well rather than the RE part. I love making video games but it will be really nice when I don't have to worry about the inherent instability in employment in the industry.

Welcome Sambarguy. Do check your medical coverage plan, as you will have 20+ years to Medicare.

welcome ,

the system hopes you will pay taxes for the rest of your life ( and spend money on work related expenses )

you can choose to retire early ... but too many retirees might ruin the current government modelling ( so they don't encourage it )

good luck on whatever you decide ( work as an oprion is not the worst choice you can have )

Back
Top Bottom