Just Hours Away...

Charlie_Boy

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am a bit overdue in introducing myself. Still, I think any intro should begin with a nod to those who started this board, the moderators, and the many who contribute their knowledge, advice and humor. Thank you.

My wife and I both came from humble beginnings, have lived a frugal life and saved and invested when we could. I retired from the Air Force in 1993, puddered around for awhile, and then found my dream j*b in a field that always interested me and a company that I admired. Still, after 13 years, the dream has faded a bit and I plan on retiring on August 1st.

I will soon be 62, so I am a bit older than most who introduce themselves here. My wife is in her early fifties, but looks like she is in her thirties, and that keeps both of us young at heart. We are in good health, very active, have no debt, have a nice house in an area we have always aspired to live in, another townhome that is in my wife’s and son’s name, about $300K in taxable accounts and will have about $450K in pre-tax accounts after a lump sum retirement distribution is added in. I make about $3000 a month from my AF retirement.

I do not plan on taking social security until I am at least 66 and have four years of cash/CDs/bonds in after tax savings set aside to supplement my AF retirement until then. A bit worried about RMD at 70 so I plan on drawing down some of my IRA into a Roth between now and then. I guess that is enough for now – will have more info and many questions as we start this new era in our lives.

Charlie

Welcome, Charlie and best wishes for a wonderful retirement.
You and your young bride will surely have a joyous time getting to spend more time together after August 1st.
Congrats on a job well done and we look forward to hearing "whaddya going to do all day?" information soon! :)
And thanks to you (and our other veterans while I'm at it) for your service to our country. You have a well deserved pension!

Hey Charlie. Congrats to you and your wife, and welcome aboard. I look forward to reading your posts.

Stay Cheap!
Jeff Yeager
Author, The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches

I will soon be 62, so I am a bit older than most who introduce themselves here. My wife is in her early fifties, but looks like she is in her thirties, and that keeps both of us young at heart.

"A man is as young as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx.

But how does a woman feel young?

Welcome aboard.

My wife and I both came from humble beginnings, have lived a frugal life and saved and invested when we could. I retired from the Air Force

Hey - even though I didn't stay in, I know where you are "coming from"...

Only thing I have a problem with is the name "charlie" :bat: (if U know what I mean...)

Welcome..

- Ron

Last edited:
another townhome that is in my wife’s and son’s name

In my past life in estate planning, I discouraged this type of situation since the bankruptcy, divorce or legal judgement {car accident, etc.} of a child can get the asset of a parent seized and subequently lost in the legal proceeding. There are also some gifting issues involved.

Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum!!

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy this next big chapter in your lives...

Just Hours Away

Well, the hours have flown by and I am retired. Actually, since I w*rked Monday through Thursday, I consider tomorrow my first real day of retirement. Still, it is already great, I don't have to worry about getting this or that done before heading off to w*rk.

One of the things I will miss is the drive. In the past several years I took up photography again and started carrying a camera with me to work. I set up a gallery of those images and in my good bye email to the folks at the site I w*rked at, I put a link in to those images. Here is the link if any of you would like to take a look: Travels with Charlie | 52 Miles of Back Road

Charlie

Wow, really enjoyed that slide show. You are very talented. Congrats and enjoy your retirement.

congrats Charlie, looks like you are well grounded and prepared for some relaxing, happy times.

Dave

Wonderful pics, Charlie! Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your retirement.

You've got a great camera eye! 62 is still ER, you've got decades of fun ahead of you. Sounds like you've had a really full life so far, look forward to some stories!

Back
Top Bottom