Live from Okinawa!!!

Keyboard Ninja

Recycles dryer sheets
HOLA!

Active Duty USAF stationed in Okinawa (for now). Today is my first day actively researching retirement strategies (learning the lingo about mutual funds first), but it is a bit overwhelming.

I'm not sure if I want to retire from the military (only been in since May 2006), but I like what I do currently. I'm hoping to also complete the necessary college course work to get accepted at a school in DC, but my grades are only average. Reading is my biggest problem because my eyes jump all over the pages, and I think about a million things at once. I think I am a pretty good multi-tasker but sometimes that also gets me no where :p

Hi back at you!

I was stationed on Okinawa in the late 70's (back when the earth was cooling). I was a squid, but working with the Naval detachment on Kadena AFB. Loved everything about it!

Welcome, and good luck to you. I don't know where your are in your schooling -- I myself got out of highschool by the skin of my teeth, joined the Nav and grew up a little, then parlayed the GI bill into a BA and an MBA from Berkeley. It CAN be done and just articulating your goal is a great first step!

Look forward to hearing more from you. (Just for the heck of it -- is Charley's Tacos still there outside the gate?)

Welcome to the boards Ninja. There's a lot of good info here to help you get started.

hey i was born in japan my dad was green beret and i went to Kadena elementary school!! I loved that place! (okinawa)

TSP L2040. Max.

I won't say 'Don't read books' since you are probably gonna do it anyway.

Successful investing is an act of faith and time in the market.

"Do or do not - There is no try" - Yoda, The empire Strikes Back.

'God Looks After Drunkards, Fools, and The United States of America.'

heh heh heh - plus there is nothing like skin in the game to focus ones reading/er research. :cool:.

TSP L2040. Max.

I won't say 'Don't read books' since you are probably gonna do it anyway.:cool:.

I wish I knew how people could invest the max in their TSP plans. Maybe once I get past this E-3 paygrade I'll be able to do it :p

I wish I knew how people could invest the max in their TSP plans. Maybe once I get past this E-3 paygrade I'll be able to do it :p

How about 'your max.' - it doesn't have to be the AF's max.

Starting is very important - there is a plethora of stuff out about the importance of compounding.

heh heh heh

While you may not yet have the rank and the big-bucks paycheck to go with it, you have something that a lot of people on this board envy of you-- time for compounding to work its magic.

And again, you might want to raise your TSP contribution (to lower your paycheck) while living off your savings and whatever gifted money comes your way. But that can be a wild roller-coaster ride if you overshoot...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom