Living like a king on pennies

What infrastructure.
In the countryside most of the traffic on the roads is by horse back and motorcycle because the road is in very bad shape. I even offer to pay for the fuel and two people to fix the roads but they were not interested. A lot of the countryside has no electricity or the people put in there own lines to the nearest available line. After the dictatorship when the dictator didn’t past many laws only decrees. Most of the laws for land started being passed in the late 1960. Most people living in the countryside are poor and the government has not found a way of getting money from them yet. The wealth in this country is in the cities or tourist areas. The price for electricity in the cities is one of the highest in the world. The government negotiated the price. The electricity goes off about 12 hours a day. Generators and investors are big business here. I’m not complaining just sitting back watching .

Laurence said:
You are a hero! But have you mentioned kids, how many? What are your plans for taking care of your family when you pass away? You could be gone in 15 years ( sorry to be such a downer) and you will have a young widow and small children, what is their financial recourse?
Laurence do you really think he is a hero? to whom? himself?? :LOL:

Seriously, IMHO, a 21 year girl is much too young for a 65 year old man. :-X

Alex said:

I was just making a joke, probably a minefield I should not have wandered near. Either way I choose to explain myself will offend some one, so I'll just shut up now. :-X :D

Laurence said:
I was just making a joke, probably a minefield I should not have wandered near. Either way I choose to explain myself will offend some one, so I'll just shut up now. :-X :D
good advice that I shall also follow.... :-X :)

Alex said:

For better equality, a 65-year-old should have 3 21-year-olds. >:D

wab said:
For better equality, a 65-year-old should have 3 21-year-olds. >:D
Hunh, and I thought Hef's smile was just caused by too much cosmetic surgery...

Nords said:
Hunh, and I thought Hef's smile was just caused by too much cosmetic surgery...

...and here I've been thinking it was a grimace to mask his belch from trying to digest all that wheat bread.

"I'd rather have two girls at 21 each than one girl at 42." - WC. Fields

RP said:
In addition to the laid back lifestyle and definitely cheaper living I enjoy the fact that as I become a senior citizen (I'm 61 this year) I find that I am not shoved aside little by little as i was already feeling in the US. here the "more experienced" are treated with respect and not derision.

I'm curious, do you feel it is that true for older women as well as older men?

Nords said:
Well, you gave it away there-- Rama IX.

http://www.bearpit.net/lofiversion/index.php/t7349.html

I guess it's considered a faux pas for a monarch to actually be a citizen of another country. Considering how many Americans make the healthcare pilgrimage to his place, he probably didn't lose anything by shredding his U.S. passport.
You got it, Nords. But the technicality I was looking for on his citizenship is that his parents were in the US (they were medical students at the time of his birth) on diplomatic passports. Accredited diplomats are one of a small class of folks who would not aquire US citizenship by birth in the US ... almost anyone else born in the US is a citizen automatically, but King Bhumibol Adulyadej, (a tireless worker for health care for the masses in Thailand, not just the medical tourism fad) couldn't claim US citizenship even if he wanted to.

(of course he wouldn't have much trouble getting a visa to visit, either, I suppose LoL)

Martha said:
Hi Martha,
It's been said by someone wiser than I that if a man thinks for one moment he understands a woman, he does.
But from my biased point of view I do think both genders of the elderly are better treated here.
Factors which make the issue harder to define:

This is a poor country so the infrastructure many seniors depend upon in the US isn't here, period.

This is a society with almost no middle class. The rich live very rich and the poor don't fare very well at all.

Like many Asian cultures (with a healthy does of Latino, since the Spaniards ruled here nearly 400 years) the society appears to an outsider as very macho/male dominated ... but when you learn who really runs households and makes family decisions, it's lola (and often her council of sisters), not lolo.

Lola made the same decision/tradeoff as Anna Nicole Smith did when she married that Billionaire.

The man has the money and the security, the woman has youth and beauty. They each have what the other wants. That's the deal.

MasterBlaster said:
"I'd rather have two girls at 21 each than one girl at 42." - WC. Fields
A good friend of mine, when we were both in our late thirties/early forties loved to rag on his wife, claiming when she turned forty he was going to trade her in for two '20's.

One day at a family gathering he made that comment in front of the wife's grandmother. With a withering stare she looked at my friend and in a voice for the whole gathering to hear proclaimed: "You don't look like you're wired for 220 to me, sonny."

Come to think of it, I don't ever recall him making that joke again ;-)

Thanks for asking, Martha.

I was just wondering if there might be a DM cabana boy in my future... ::)

Alex said:

Did you miss the part where he said he wanted children? A 21 year old is at her fertility peak.

ADJ said:
Did you miss the part where he said he wanted children? A 21 year old is at her fertility peak.
whatever.... I think he is a selfish, heartless Pr*ck. 21 year old girls should never marry old men.

Alex said:
whatever.... I think he is a selfish, heartless Pr*ck. 21 year old girls should never marry old men.

Well, he must at least have a well performing pr*ck.

May he live long and prosper!

Ha

Alex said:

You must not have heard the story of the 75 year old that went to his class reunion with a 21 year old blonde on his arm? When his old buddies asked him how an old fart like him managed to snare such a young pretty thing. He replied "I lied about my age, I told her I was 95" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

d0ug said:
I noticed that the age factor that old men and young woman are not only accepted here but quite command.

Tell me there are plenty of golf courses in the DR and you have me sold. Can you imagine golf by day and 21 year old babes at night? :D :smitten:

DOG52 said:
Not only could it handle it, no chemicals required. :cool:

Well if you can "handle it", what the heck do you need with a 21 year old?
:confused: You mean you don't drink beer when you play golf? Or are you trying to tell us beer doesn't contain 'chemicals'? ;)

Alex said:
Are you implying that things would have turned out differently if she'd met you first?

You certainly emphasized his point that American society doesn't sympathize with two adults making a personal decision under mutual consent. Surely that was just objective advice without the slightest hint of jealousy or envy...

Back
Top Bottom