The Pros and Cons of Living on a Sailboat in the Caribbean

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Pros and Cons of Living on a Sailboat in the Caribbean - The Atlantic

"David Welsford doesn't pay rent or have a full time job. Instead, he lives on a 50-year-old wooden boat. A few years ago, he gave up the luxuries of land for life alone in the sea. "For me, what's more important than having a big house is having a space that makes me feel good," he says.

This short documentary explores Welsford's unique, maritime lifestyle, and the sacrifices that arise along the way -- from romantic relationships to finances. "There's always a way to make money. There's always a way to live," Welsford says. "If I have enough to go and have a beer and I have enough to go to the grocery store, if I can put enough diesel in the tanks of the boat, then I think I'm one of the richest people in the world."

Good for him. It sure beats life in a cube farm!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Caribbean Sailboat Living

Dream Catcher |

Amy and Tom have been living on a 36 ft catamaran (Dreamcatcher ) for years. Their blog has been lots of fun to read. I think Tom just turned 40.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty cool way to spend some time in your life. I wish I had what it took to give something like that a try.

I chartered a 36 cat (leapord 36) for my wife and I for eight days, hopped the islands of st vincent and the grenadines. Absolutely fantastic. Never so relaxed in my life.

Would love to take a year or two and live that lifestyle...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom