Living like a king on pennies

d0ug

Recycles dryer sheets
I retired from an automotive plant some 11 years ago and set sail for the Caribbean after living on my sailboat for 6 years. Visiting Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Turks & Cacaos and the Dominican Republic. Where I finally settled. I built a 4 bedroom house and remarried. The house was built on my pension CAN 1,600 per month. I also live on the same money. On my pension I live like a king and still put money in the bank. :LOL:

Welcome dOug. Interesting life. Tell me more about it. How long have you settled in DR? The house you built. Life there...

good for you! send us some pictures...

Welcome to the board, d0ug. Sounds like you ER'd just fine.

After six years afloat, what made you go ashore?

Sailing can be expensive. The boat is a good place to use up lots of money. Where I reach the DR. I noticed that the age factor that old men and young woman are not only accepted here but quite command. I always wanted to have children and my wife didn’t want any. So we divorced and I married a Dominican lady we have been together now 4 years and very happy. The labor here is very reasonable to build a house and to live here. Thank all of you for your welcome

Sounds great. Dear husband and I sometimes toy with the idea of moving to Montevideo, Uruguay. We are planning a trip there in the near future to check it out.

d0ug said:
I noticed that the age factor that old men and young woman are not only accepted here but quite command.

Really? I'm catching all sorts of hell from 30-something women for talking to 20-something women. I'm in school. I can't help it if my target audience younger than usual, and they don't see to mind at all, so is it really my fault?

BunsGettingFirm said:
Really? I'm catching all sorts of hell from 30-something women for talking to 20-something women. I'm in school. I can't help it if my target audience younger than usual, and they don't see to mind at all, so is it really my fault?

The life stile here in the DR is very different. I’m 65 this year and my wife is 21. I have not had one person here mention the age difference. If I were in Canada, USA or Europe there would be many people complaining. It is the beliefs and values in the DR that makes the difference. I guess that they think if you’re happy it is your business. It is hard for people to change their beliefs and values when they visit another country

d0ug said:
The life stile here in the DR is very different. I’m 65 this year and my wife is 21. I have not had one person here mention the age difference.

Welcome to the board, dOug:

P.S. Check for P.M. ;)

d0ug said:
The life stile here in the DR is very different. I’m 65 this year and my wife is 21. I have not had one person here mention the age difference.

Jarhead* said:
Welcome to the board, dOug:

P.S. Check for P.M. ;)

Whaddya bet Jarhead's sending d0ug a recipe for wheat bread?

REWahoo! said:
Whaddya bet Jarhead's sending d0ug a recipe for wheat bread?

:D :D :D

Now that's an oldie, but goodie. ;)

Actually, I was thinking more in terms that Ha Ha and Eagle43 would be
in contact with him. ;)

d0ug said:
I retired from an automotive plant some 11 years ago and set sail for the Caribbean after living on my sailboat for 6 years. Visiting Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Turks & Cacaos and the Dominican Republic. Where I finally settled. I built a 4 bedroom house and remarried. The house was built on my pension CAN 1,600 per month. I also live on the same money. On my pension I live like a king and still put money in the bank. :LOL:

What part of the DR is that?

I live in the north coast near Luperon. I have my house in the countryside half way up a hill with a beautiful view. I realy enjoy the people and the tranquillity.

d0ug said:
The life stile here in the DR is very different. I’m 65 this year and my wife is 21.

You are a hero! But have you mentioned kids, how many? What are your plans for taking care of your family when you pass away? You could be gone in 15 years ( sorry to be such a downer) and you will have a young widow and small children, what is their financial recourse?

A percentage of my pension will go to my wife, which is enough to live on. My insurance will make her a millionaire here. I am teaching her how to handle money and educating her in a field that she likes so she will be self-sufficient. As of now we have no children but hope to any time now.

Life insurance, good for you. Will your kids have dual citizenship? That would be very advantagous.

Yes the children will have dual citizenship. They will be bilingual as well and get to know two cultures.

Good to make your acquaintance, D0ug. I live outside the US also, by choice, and while I wouldn't want to use that "live like a king" line (I know too many other US expats here in the Philippines who make themselves a bit obnoxious with that "pennies per day" line, life here is good as well.

I'm also married to a woman 18 years my junior ... not so much age difference as in your case but certainly enough to make for a lot of cold glances and tongue wagging when my Filipino (now dual citizen Filipino/American) wife and I lived in the States, frankly, i don't have time for it ... here in Asia it's considered quite normal and not really anyone's business.

In addition to the laid back lifestyle and definitely cheaper living I enjoy the fact that as I become a senior citizen (I'm 61 this year) I find that I am not shoved aside little by little as i was already feeling in the US. here the "more experienced" are treated with respect and not derision.

With respect to the question earlier about your children's citizenship I find that a lot of Americans don't have much grasp on the concept that the US has no prohibition on dual, even multiple citizenships. A child born to one or both US citizen parents is a US citizen for life, and may be a citizen of their birth country (or mother's country, depending on that nation's rules) as well.

Sometimes citizenship follows birthplace, but not always ... the trivia question for today is what current ruling monarch was born in the USA and is not an American citizen?

Not even close:

As-Sayyid Muhammad Abdullah II bin al-Hussein al Hashimi, King of Jordan (Arabic: عبد الله الثاني بن الحسين‎) (born January 30, 1962 in Amman, Jordan)

Hint: My monarch is monarch is much older, in fact, was crowned in 1946.

Bonus part to the question ... if the individual I am talking about was born in the US why is s/he _not_ a US citzen? (parents were legally in the USA)

RP said:
Hint: My monarch is monarch is much older, in fact, was crowned in 1946.
Bonus part to the question ... if the individual I am talking about was born in the US why is s/he _not_ a US citzen? (parents were legally in the USA)
Well, you gave it away there-- Rama IX.

http://www.bearpit.net/lofiversion/index.php/t7349.html

I guess it's considered a faux pas for a monarch to actually be a citizen of another country. Considering how many Americans make the healthcare pilgrimage to his place, he probably didn't lose anything by shredding his U.S. passport.

When I say living like a king. Some of the costs of living no land tax, no house tax, I don’t know of any income tax, Where I live the electricity has been free for 6 years [could change]. Food is reasonable and everything grows well here for example I have bananas, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, cherries and other fruits. Tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, yucca, squash and many different spices. We get three crops per year. My gardener looks after every thing and in Dominican standards I pay him well US $120 per month. Total expensive per month is about US$ 420. My pension is in Canadian about $1,600 . I still have a few pennies for the bank.

d0ug said:
no land tax, no house tax, I don’t know of any income tax, Where I live the electricity has been free for 6 years [could change].

So, who pays for the infrastructure?

Back
Top Bottom