Moved, retired, happy

Welcome back. I look forward to hearing about you adventures in going back "home".

welcome back

Welcome back to ER.
I moved back to my home town 7 years ago with new DH, after 34 years away. Although some old friendships did not survive (and some family relationships), we have both old and new friends, more activities, and a great neighborhood.

For me, I have enjoyed the 4 seasons and many free activities !

Welcome back! Have you received injections for your macular degeration such as Avastin? Hope that can be controlled. I'm been dealing with a branch retinal vein occlusion from age 48 for the past four years, and have had several types of injections commonly used to treat macular degeneration.

I don’t have the kind that responds to injections so no, unless something changes. I take Areds-2 twice daily and get checked every 2-3 months. The injections only are for the type where you are growing new veins. I wish there was a treatment.

This is an interesting concept. I found a few in my state.
You obviously like and support this movement. Are there any cons? E.g. I've heard of some retirement communities that help you age there until the end, but to be honest, the entrance fee and houses ain't really affordable (at least not to me). So, I wonder if V-to-V is of similar concept: expensive and you must committed if I don't like it after joining? It would be interesting to hear an insider's thoughts.

It's a while until I need to think about it, but time flies :facepalm:

V to V is to help you stay in your own house as long as possible. It’s not the kind of community you’re thinking of. There are some great articles about this. I haven’t joined but I’m on the mailing list. One of these days...!

Welcome back! I'm an old Connecticut boy who used to clam dig in Charleston area (East Beach). I love Rhode Island but seem to be stuck in Texas. :)

V to V is to help you stay in your own house as long as possible. It’s not the kind of community you’re thinking of. There are some great articles about this. I haven’t joined but I’m on the mailing list. One of these days...!

From what I can tell from my local village, It’s not CCRC. It’s just a village, but there’s a big retirement center near by. There is no buy in, just buy a house in that village.

Welcome back! I'm an old Connecticut boy who used to clam dig in Charleston area (East Beach). I love Rhode Island but seem to be stuck in Texas. :)

Thanks - too far to travel from TX! Nice to hear from someone else who loves RI :cool:

:dance:
At last... someone from Pawtucket. My home from 1936 to 1958... In Fairlawn, where I first met my DW jeanie when we were 7.
So, some memories.
Samuel Slater Jr. High, Pawtucket West (now "Shea": while he was the principal at the time I was there). A friend sent me a memory from the Pawtucket Times a year ago, that mentioned my athletic awards from back in 1953,54.
SIL and BIL still live on Grotto Ave. The rest of the extended families have dispersed or have passed away.
DW and I lived in and around New England for many years... Maine (Bowdoin for me), Boston, (Jeanie @ Boston Univ., Sargent College). Greenfield, Saugus, Nashua, New Haven, Woonsocket and too many more to recall. We basically lived on the beaches in the summer, and spent many days in Newport. FIL owned a spinning mill in Seekonk in the '40's and 50's.
My folks worked at many different Textile Mills that are no longer there. Lorraine, R.I. Fabrics, J.P. Coats etc.
PawSox, Rosebud Canal, Crook Manor (built on an old trash dump when I was a kid)., Samuel Slater Mill, Blackstone Valley Bridge. Park Place, Shartenbergs, the "Y" on High Street downtown, and Camp Westwood, where I spent my summers as a counselor for 4 years. Lincoln Woods Beach (as a lifeguard in H.S.)
We lived on Elder Street, and DW lived on Grotto Ave. in Fairlawn.
Her family had a summer place in Buzzards Bay, where I'd go on my day off. We later moved to three different locations in Martha's Vineyard, Falmouth, as well as on High Street in Pawtucket next to Shea.

Welcome back to ER.. good to have a citizen from the "old country" on board.

Last edited:
Welcome back. In another thread, you said you were here as Thinker25. I remember that screen name, and also that you posted on the photo thread (showing off my superior memory here :) ).

Perhaps you forgot your password. I did that all the time.
Yep, forgot my password and decided so much time had passed I’d just start again. :cool:

I grew up on the East Side of Providence. Now my house is in Pawtucket but part of the back yard is in Providence. I have the tax bills to prove it, lol!

I grew up on the East Side of Providence. Now my house is in Pawtucket but part of the back yard is in Providence. I have the tax bills to prove it, lol!

I have started visiting RI yearly to learn more about 400 years of family connections.

A set of 3rd great grandparents and their kids are buried in Pawtucket, at Riverside. I visited them last October when I was there.

I love visiting RI. It’s beautiful, green, wet, and friendly.

Coffee’s on me next time I’m in town, DeborahB.

Huh, we’re probably distant cousins. :)

Last edited:
My ex-roommates in Boston were both from RI, Providence, I think they both still live there. One had 2 sisters.

Last edited:
Welcome back from another New Englander. I live in MA but worked in RI for 23 years and still have many friends in the Providence area and visit there often. We constantly dine out at Federal hill and other restaurants on the East side. We also visit Newport and Middletown quite a bit in the summer.

Last edited:
Welcome back! The village aspect sounds interesting. Had heard of it, but didn't know how many existed.

I also suffer from Chronic Fatigue. Have known just over 2 years and as of the last few months, have gotten help that seems to be making me better. It doesn't come cheap as those that specialize in it don't take standard medical insurance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom