Life without a permanent address

Poopycat

Recycles dryer sheets
It isn’t definite yet, but it’s likely that I’m going to be working remotely until I choose to retire. I was ready to stop working, but I also want to do some rather expensive things in 2024 and felt more comfortable subsidizing those costs by continuing to work for just a little while longer. I requested remote work and it appears that request will be granted. 2024 is definitely my final full working year and I’m not sure I’ll get through the entire year, but that’s not why I’m writing.

Whether I end up working remotely or quitting, my initial plan for 2024 has been the same: sell my residence and choose several cities of interest and rent an airbnb or stay in a hotel in each of those cities for a few weeks so I can get a feel for whether it might be a place I’d like to live permanently. Once I find the right place, however long that takes, I’ll stay in that location for several months to make sure I like it before I buy a property (this may be an expensive plan, given the cost of short term rentals and hotels, hence the preference to work to cover costs).

Now that my future work plans are more clear, and things are now more “real,” I’m starting to get nervous about the logistics of my plan because it would mean that I would technically be homeless after I sell my property. I wouldn’t have a true residence or permanent address. That makes me feel a little nervous. I could get a PO Box but don’t some places and government agencies require an actual address?

To complicate matters further, while I would be working remotely, I would also plan to visit the office on a regular basis, perhaps one week per month, at least until I’m settled in one location. It wouldn’t be that big of a deal to do that, I’d just visit in between going to new cities. But those regular visits make me wonder whether I might be better off keeping my condo while I do my airbnb adventure. I would have a permanent residence. I would have to keep paying my ownership expenses (HOA fees, property taxes, insurance, electric…no mortgage payments…place is paid for). But if I’m coming back to town once a month, I’d have a place to stay, and weekly hotel costs would likely be just a little lower than my monthly condo costs. Plus, if I moved all my stuff into storage, I’m looking at a storage fee.

Does it make sense to keep the property or should I just sell and figure out how to make life work as a person with no permanent address? And if I sell, what can I do about having a physical address in my current state? I know RVers have figured out this problem. I don’t want to use someone else’s address. I started looking into something called mail forwarding services and mail virtual addresses; do they work well? I don’t want to establish residency in another state until I’m ready to move to a potentially permanent location.

Any guidance would be helpful, thanks.

If you can afford it, I would keep the current condo for simplicity. In addition to that, the condo will probably appreciate once interest rates drop back. Whatever additional carrying cost of your current condo will likely be made back by selling at a higher price then.

Now that my future work plans are more clear, and things are now more “real,” I’m starting to get nervous about the logistics of my plan because it would mean that I would technically be homeless after I sell my property. I wouldn’t have a true residence or permanent address. That makes me feel a little nervous. I could get a PO Box but don’t some places and government agencies require an actual address?

The UPS Store (and similar businesses) can rent you a mailbox that will be like a post office box, and that mailbox will have a physical address you can use.

They would probably be willing to forward mail to your current location.

My parents traveled full time in an RV for 20 years. They belonged to a group called Escapees that had a service that gave them an address in Texas. Escapees would forward their mail to where ever they happened to be. Sometimes it was to a campground but mostly it was general delivery at a Post Office in a town where they were staying. Their address in Texas allowed them to get Texas plates on their motorhome and towed vehicle and to vote.

There other other similar services that cater to full time travelers. Most of them will give you an address in a state without income tax such as Texas or South Dakota.

Consider taking on a roommate at the condo during the WFH year. You could possibly get premium rent as they'd basically be the only resident and it would give you a place to stay and a revenue stream. Since your other option is selling, you'd already have a foot out the door so it shouldn't feel as though someone is living in your house but rather you have a permanent place to stay when in town. It could be a "test drive" but if your plan doesn't pan out you'd have the condo to fall back on (and if RE rallies during that time, you'd still be building equity).

I would keep the condo if you can afford it. Do you have an extra bedroom you could rent out to someone you know/trust? That would be ideal.

In the meantime, downsize your stuff as much as possible! If you do a far away move, sometimes its not even worth it to bring your furniture and bulky stuff. It can be cheaper to give away everything and buy new in the new area. Just something to think about if your considering a cross country move.

(I've done the life without an address for almost 2 years myself. I did run into a couple places that didn't want to accept my PMB private mail box as a "real" address. I'm lucky that I had a sister that let me use her address for that particular bank and brokerage.)

Last edited:
Does it make sense to keep the property or should I just sell and figure out how to make life work as a person with no permanent address? And if I sell, what can I do about having a physical address in my current state? I know RVers have figured out this problem. I don’t want to use someone else’s address. I started looking into something called mail forwarding services and mail virtual addresses; do they work well? I don’t want to establish residency in another state until I’m ready to move to a potentially permanent location.

Any guidance would be helpful, thanks.

I would keep it for now, and sell it after you retire (months after, let yourself adjust). It sounds like too much hassle to deal with for now since you are in a state of flux, and it solves some logistics for you.

With rates set to go down next year, the RE market could boom again? (of course it could bust too, but probably not terribly).

Although not remote workers when we ER'd 7 years ago, our retirement for the first 5 years was a mostly nomadic lifestyle as we'd travel for weeks or months at a time, then return home for brief spells. We weren't sure at the time if we wanted to sell or not and rather than rent our home during our longer travels (or leave it vacant for several months), we joined Trusted Housesitters. We had great success finding sitters who would look after our home while we were away. In turn, we became house sitters ourselves. You might find the house sitting experience a good way to "live like a local" in areas of potential interest without having the cost of accommodation.

Two years ago, near the top of the RE market, we made the decision to sell our home and we now travel full time with return visits to the U.S. to spend time with family.

For mail service in the U.S., we've used Traveling Mailbox. Our annual subscription costs us ~$150/year. T.M. offers physical addresses (not P.O. Boxes) in various cities. It has worked flawlessly for us for the past 7 years.

I would keep the condo if you can afford it. Do you have an extra bedroom you could rent out to someone you know/trust? That would be ideal.

This option make the most sense to me as long as you can find a reliable/trustworthy renter.

The UPS Store (and similar businesses) can rent you a mailbox that will be like a post office box, and that mailbox will have a physical address you can use.

They would probably be willing to forward mail to your current location.

Ah, I didn’t realize that the UPS PO Boxes also came with a physical location. Interesting!

As always, I knew I could count on the members of this great site to give me good advice and suggestions! I’m going to give a lot of serious consideration to just keeping the place and waiting to sell until I find a place I might want to live for a more extended period of time. I hadn’t thought of the possible appreciation that might come from another year of ownership. I had been thinking about trying to sell quickly now, while sales are still brisk, and before any market drops may happen. There could be more buyers if rates drop, but there could also be more supply. It’s so hard to predict the real estate market. Places in my building are still selling well and spring is when sales are most brisk around here, but just thinking about the upgrades, repairs, cleaning, boxing up things, etc. that has to happen while still working is stressing me out.

I do like the roommate idea, if only I knew someone. I will be returning to the area regularly, but still not more than once a month most of the time. I like the house sitting idea too. Need to do some more thinking on these ideas. Thanks all!

Second thumbs up for Escapees. We've used them in the past while "homeless" and traveling in our RV.

Ah, I didn’t realize that the UPS PO Boxes also came with a physical location. Interesting!
I've been using this with my PO box, and there are restrictions:

With Street Addressing Service, you have the option of using the street address of this Post Office location for your mailing address in addition to your PO Box number. For example, if a Post Office is located at 500 Main Street and your PO Box is “PO Box 59”, with Street Addressing Service your mail may be addressed to you at “500 Main Street #59”.
You may also use Street Addressing Service to receive packages that comply with USPS mailing standards deposited by private carriers, such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and Amazon. Both “street addressed” mail and PO Box addressed mail that comply with USPS mailing standards may be delivered to your PO Box. If a package does not fit inside your PO Box, you may retrieve it at the service window or from a parcel locker (options vary by location and package size and weight).

1. If you choose and pay for Street Addressing Service, your new street address format will be:
___________________________ # ______________
Post Office Street Address PO Box Number
__________________________ _______ _______________________
City State PO Box ZIP Code

2. Please note that you must use the address format shown in No. 1 above. The address must include both the # sign and your PO Box number. For example, you may not use “Suite” or “Apt.” Mail sent to your PO Box that does not use address format shown in No. 1 above may be returned to sender.

3. You may not use the PO Box “street address” option as your physical residence or place of business in Legal documents. Misuse of Street Addressing Service may violate civil and criminal laws and may result in USPS closing your PO Box.

4. You may use this address only for items that can be delivered through the mail (packaged and sealed). You may not use Street Addressing Service to receive shipments of wine, other alcohol, items over 70 pounds or any items prohibited by Postal Service policy (see Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) Section 601) or law. Private carrier shipments of prohibited items will be refused or held for return pickup by the private carrier. The DMM is available at http://pe.usps.com/.

(I've done the life without an address for almost 2 years myself. I did run into a couple places that didn't want to accept my PMB private mail box as a "real" address. I'm lucky that I had a sister that let me use her address for that particular bank and brokerage.)

I've had issues with TDAmeritrade and Merrill Lynch using my PMB mail box. They wanted a physical address, and the PMB address is tagged in the software they use as a business address (or some other way that renders it unacceptable).

So, I gave them a physical address of a friend's farm. There is a house, but no mail box. As such, this address did not meet the requirement as it was not listed in the USPS address database.

I clearly told them that the address was a bonafide physical address, and they could look it up on the county tax rolls. If they wanted a USPS address they should have asked for that. They had two choices, accept the address that met the criteria they asked for, or transfer my assets to another brokerage. They chose the former.

If you go the PMB way, you may need to fight with some of your brokerage providers.

Keep the condo

I retired in 2022. My wife and I sold our house, cars, and just about everything we owned. Our plan was to live full time on our 41' long Carver motor yacht as we cruised the east coast, Bahamas, and do the America's Great Loop via boat. The biggest lesson I learned since then is I SHOULD NOT HAVE SOLD THE HOUSE. All these forms (RV and Boating) suggested using a mail forwarding business, e.g., UPS Store, St. Brendan's Isle, etc. and while they do work great for forwarding mail, they DO NOT work as a permanent address. I heard from people telling me... "it works for me for the past "X" years... blah, blah, blah. That's great, but it doesn't work anymore. At least not for me in Florida. The state and banks are on to this and are cracking down and wouldn't let me open a bank account, couldn't get a car loan, and some websites wouldn't allow me to add the address (the mailing address) I was given because they cross reference it with the USPS and it's NOT A LEGAL ADDRESS. So, again, it may have worked in the past, and/or for people who had it set up some time ago, but for anyone new setting this up it's not worth the hard lesson you'll learn by making the mistake. Just KEEP THE CONDO. And BTW, my best laid plan that we worked on for years only lasted 6 months. My wive's health changed drastically and so our plans had to change. Make being flexible part of the plan too. You never know what plan live has for you while you're going along. Good luck in your decision and future live. All the best.

Poppy :greetings10:

Good points Poppy, sorry it didn't work for you. IIRC things have changed in the last few years mainly for banks, etc. I think the rules are much stricter now due to money laundering, etc.

If you can afford it, I would keep the current condo for simplicity. In addition to that, the condo will probably appreciate once interest rates drop back. Whatever additional carrying cost of your current condo will likely be made back by selling at a higher price then.

^this.

Saint Brendan's Isle is a popular mail box service for RVers, cruisers, and the military. Added bonus is it is a Florida address so tax advantages.

https://www.sbimailservice.com

We have been using St Brendan’s Isle for years. Very good service. A few financial institutions required a physical street address for our account and I used my moms, but those places still allowed SBI as the mailing address

A lot of these posts are convincing me that it’s probably best to hang onto my condo for now. I don’t want the hassle of trying to provide a physical address. I don’t want to change state residency at the moment yet either. I’m going to check out the mail services mentioned above and do a little more thinking about the smartest choice for me. I think it would be an easier decision if I weren’t planning to return to my current city semi-regularly, but the cost of maintaining my residence wouldn’t be that much more than having to stay in a hotel when I do return to town. At least I don’t think so. I’ll have to run some numbers to be sure.

A lot of these posts are convincing me that it’s probably best to hang onto my condo for now. I don’t want the hassle of trying to provide a physical address. I don’t want to change state residency at the moment yet either. I’m going to check out the mail services mentioned above and do a little more thinking about the smartest choice for me. I think it would be an easier decision if I weren’t planning to return to my current city semi-regularly, but the cost of maintaining my residence wouldn’t be that much more than having to stay in a hotel when I do return to town. At least I don’t think so. I’ll have to run some numbers to be sure.
If you're using that city as a home base and staying there occasionally, it sounds like it's worth it to keep the condo while you figure out what works best.

I forgot to ask, do you know if your condo allows short term/AirBnB stays? Many have started prohibiting them for the comfort and security of the residents.

Rather than AirBnB maybe look at renting to traveling nurses.

I say keep the condo because the cost difference is not so much considering it saves hotel rental for 1 week per month.
Plus it's familiar, has a familiar place for your vehicle to park, and less transporting of clothes, etc.

You can put a wyze or eufy camera in the condo to be able to look in at it, cost is ~$30 each and no subscription cost for a live view, will also record to micro sd card in camera.

I would avoid the rental aspect, what if you get someone that trashes the place, or locks you out, or refuses to leave, or damages/steals stuff or your identity.

One issue is that many home insurance companies require that you spend at least one night per month in your "residence" to maintain the insurance. How they check that, I don't know. When my mom's house became "empty" (we were cleaning it out over a summer) I stayed one night each month to be able to claim it was occupied. Check your policy and YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom