New member intro

SRyan

Dryer sheet aficionado
First off, I’d like to personally thank Nords for introducing this site to me.
I’m a 34 year old Navy Supply Officer. I have been on active duty for +15 years, 10 years prior enlisted. I am planning on retiring from the service at 24-28 years in (9-13 years away) at either the rank of O4 or O5 (depending on career path). After this retirement, I do not have dreams of discovering another career path. However, I would like to work for myself or in some sort of business partnership/angel-investing.
My idea of early retirement is being able to follow my passions, which includes lots of surfing, lots of diving, moderate travel with my wife and being able to maximize the time spent with my children as they grow.

Welcome!

Keep boosting the TSP contributions and saving the promotion pay, and it should work out fine.

ClifP and I can tell you more about the angel investing scene over in your area. One of the members of our local group is a snowbird from there. However it's a lot more work than I expected it to be, and so far a lot more love than money.

Thanks Nords!

I'd love to get your insight on angel investing. I am hoping to live back in San Diego when I start that gig. I think I'll only be here for another year or so.

Hi SRyan, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. The potential for early retirement while still capable of getting out in the surf is a nice payback for the tough years of service you folks put in. I remember an early 40s retired Air Force guy who used to post on rec.windsurfing in the early 90s. He lived in Hood River Oregon (the Gorge) and was out on his board almost every day. His carefree lifestyle helped motivate me to plan on pulling the plug early.

Welcome aboard. There are many smart, helpful posters here, you already know one of them...

Welcome SRyan, I know you'll enjoy the forum. If you can't get answers to your questions here, well I guess there isn't an answer. So much to garner from past experience through the members.

Thanks Nords!
I'd love to get your insight on angel investing. I am hoping to live back in San Diego when I start that gig. I think I'll only be here for another year or so.
Check your private messages.

Hi SRyan, well haven't been on this site for along time was just looking joined in 2009 wew time flys.so may 11 i can retire :) but think i'm going to hang in till the fall :( theres talk of buyouts maybe :) and i'm making sure to replace anything that might wear out in the next few years like fridge washer dryer ect.the drop in income disturbs me somewhat but guess everythings a tradeoff really.as i get older my goals seem to change to.

Back
Top Bottom