Now Fully Retired

Col. Klink

Recycles dryer sheets
I joined the site a few years ago when I was working full time to learn about members experiences in preparation for retirement. The short history is that the DW and I decided to buy a home in Florida in 2014 and were fortunate to buy a nice home in a great planned community about 85 miles north of Tampa. Bought the home directly from Bank of America at a great price at a time there were still a lot of foreclosures and short sales from the 2008 meltdown. Rented the home for a year and then my full time gig as a Nursing Home Administrator came to an end when the place was sold. Youngest daughter graduated college and moved to PA so we had a big house (paid off) with big taxes (Connecticut) and big utility bills. Sold the house. Hired a moving van that dropped off half our furniture at my daughters new apartment in PA and brought the rest to our smaller much more energy efficient home in Florida - our renters departed of course. Taxes went from $10,000 / year to $1500 / year in Florida. Utility bills here average $75 / month. We paid like $300 / month to heat and cool the CT. house.

Got a part time job with Hershey selling chocolate to convenience stores and did that for three years. My accountant and I were finally able to convince my frugal wife that we would not starve any time soon. She still works part time, however. Live on about 3% of portfolio value. Dividends and interest generate more than we budget / spend. Portfolio allocation is 45% stock with about 5% in preferreds. 45% bond funds both domestic and international. 10% cash.

I hit the gym each day. Joined a fishing club. Bicycle here and there as well as do some volunteer gigs in the community. That's my update... now fully retired at 58. Learned a lot from many of the members of this forum and have finally pulled it off. Life is better without work...:greetings10:

Quite a successful journey, congrats! You didn't mention healthcare expenses. Are you on ACA? My older brother lives in Ft. Lauderdale. His property taxes are super low. He's lived there 30 years. I think they're grandfathered as he's lived in the same place all those years.

Rianne, thanks for the question. Yes to ACA. It is the largest monthly expense. I don't take a subsidy, but have in the past gotten a tax credit at the end of the year.

Congratulations on your FIRE success story! Thanks for sharing it to inspire others.

Congrats on the retirement! It's a freedom that is unmatched and beyond compare. Hopefully, your wife will join you soon!

Congrats on your FIRE. Joined the club. 1,500 in taxes is pretty good for FLA.

Welcome to the club! I joined last year - it's pretty darned sweet. Thanks for sharing your story. I too am a nervous nelly about starving to death, but it's getting better as I realize we're not eating cat food. ;)

Congrats! Growing up, I used to love watching Hogan's Heros reruns in the 1970s!

Congratulations! Loved hearing about how you moved to a Lower Cost of Living area, and reduced expenses!

Congratulations! I bet that you are enjoying your winter in FL more than CT. I know that I would be.

Congratulations on finally meeting your goal. Enjoy life on the other side!

From your original post on this site, to this point were a well laid out plan, congrats.

Back
Top Bottom